New Dish Customer - Couple of Questions

MidnightSwinga

Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
I was just installed over the weekend and so far loving Dish and the channels. Currently have the Classic Bronze 100+ with HD Option, but will probably be upgraded to Classic Silver 200 with the Multi-Sports pack.

I have a couple of questions that I hope can be answered.

My current set up is as follows: Receiver 1 is a 722k and is set for HD for TV1 in the living room and SD for TV2 in the master bedroom (even though this is an HD TV). Receiver 2 is a 222k and is set for HD in my home theater and SD in my office.

Here are my questions......

1. I don't have either receiver connected to a phone line (no landline service, only VOIP in the house) or to an internet connection. I believe I'll be getting charged $5.00 a month per receiver because of this. To difficult to run a LAN cable to my router from these. Is there a way to connect these wirelessly to my network? Or perhaps a bridge or some sort of adapter I can purchase?

2. I'd like to get my locals in HD for TV2 that's hooked up to the 722k. Is there a way to do this using an OTA antenna?

Thanks for your help!

1. I don't have either receiver connected to a phone line (no landline service, only VOIP in the house) or to an internet connection. I believe I'll be getting charged $5.00 a month per receiver because of this. To difficult to run a LAN cable to my router from these. Is there a way to connect these wirelessly to my network? Or perhaps a bridge or some sort of adapter I can purchase?

2. I'd like to get my locals in HD for TV2 that's hooked up to the 722k. Is there a way to do this using an OTA antenna?

Thanks for your help!

1. Yes, you can get wireless phone jacks or network adapters that will use your electrical wiring to extend the service to any location with an electrical outlet. You can get these at just about any electronics retailer, I should think.

2. If you run the antenna directly to the TV and it has a built-in digital tuner, yes. Through the 722k, no. It will only ever output to TV2 in SD. I think there are ways you can "split" the TV1 output to two TV's, but then you'd have to view the same program on both at the same time.

If you look at the manuals for the 2 units, you will see that they are both home plug compatable. Get a home plug adapter v1.0 or turbo. plug it into the wall and your router. Do a broadband connection check from the menu and you should get an IP.

Regarding locals on tv2, it can't be done without running a hdmi or component from the DVR and setting it in single mood (instead of dual). This is probably not an acceptable solution, but I can't think of any other way around it.

Hope this helps....

In summary for networking:
1. Cat5 or Cat6 cable from receiver to router.
2. Wireless game adapter/bridge connected to receiver's ethernet port.
3. Homeplug adapter which uses your electrical wiring system. The adapter is already built-in the ViP receiver which is why you only need to buy another for your router to make the connection.

Thanks so much for the replies. I think I might actually be moving my cable modem/router upstairs so I can make do with a wired connection to the router. If I don't, I'll end up exploring the Powerline solutions.

Another question that just came up.......

I've got a Denon Receiver hooked up to the system. I was able to program the remote so that it's controlling the volume and power on the reciver and power on the TV and Sat box. However, I can't figure out how to program the system so that when I hit 'Power' on the remote it powers the TV, the Reciver, and the Sat box either all on or all off. Currently it's just powering the TV and Sat box. I then have to hit AUX to power on or off the Receiver.

Anyway to make the power control all 3 devices (tv, sat, aux) at once?

Thanks!

I was just installed over the weekend and so far loving Dish and the channels. Currently have the Classic Bronze 100+ with HD Option, but will probably be upgraded to Classic Silver 200 with the Multi-Sports pack.

I have a couple of questions that I hope can be answered.

My current set up is as follows: Receiver 1 is a 722k and is set for HD for TV1 in the living room and SD for TV2 in the master bedroom (even though this is an HD TV). Receiver 2 is a 222k and is set for HD in my home theater and SD in my office.

Here are my questions......

Thanks for your help!
if there is dial tone to the 722k,the Dishcomm eature can be used.

You can connect one of the receivers to a phone line and set up the dishcomm feature. That would eliminate fee for both receivers. Also you can call Dish and tell them you want DDA. That will automatically waive the fee for one of the receivers.

Thanks so much for all the replies.....anythoughts on this:

Another question that just came up.......

I've got a Denon Receiver hooked up to the system. I was able to program the remote so that it's controlling the volume and power on the reciver and power on the TV and Sat box. However, I can't figure out how to program the system so that when I hit 'Power' on the remote it powers the TV, the Reciver, and the Sat box either all on or all off. Currently it's just powering the TV and Sat box. I then have to hit AUX to power on or off the Receiver.

Anyway to make the power control all 3 devices (tv, sat, aux) at once?

1. I had the issue with the fee with Dish. I simply called them and told them that I do not have a phone line. I did run a line to my 722 from my router and since I couldn't do it for my other receiver, Dish simply did a freeze on the fees. Therefore I am not being charged for the receiver not connected.
2. See ONUO's post.
3. For a basic to intermediate setup, I highly recommend the URC RF 10 remote control. It can handle macros to turn on/off all equipment with one button, just like the harmony. Very well priced and includes the RF kit if you have your equipment in a closet like I do. I beleive you can get these remotes including the RF kit for under $100 now.

Hope this helps.