New Dish Customer - Dish Selection Questions

DavidZ

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 25, 2007
Dish will be coming to install my 622 on Friday.

I live in a high-rise condo on the 18th floor facing southwest. I currently have a DirecTV SD dish on my balcony and my reception is good.

My questions are :

-- what kind of dish(es) will they install (eg, 500, 1000, etc)?
-- who decides what kind of dish(es) to install? The installer?
-- should I ask for 2 dishes rather than 1? I've read that you get better reception with 2 dishes

Thanks, David

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Slaton, Texas
Facing southwest you can probably get 110, 119 and 129 so hopefully one dish will do for you.

Be sure the installer peaks the dish on 129 after aligning it to 119.

RockinHARD26

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 10, 2007
Delaware
If I were you, I would stay away from Dish Network. From all my problems with them, different stories I had to deal with since November 2006, and time I lost with trying to figure everything out from the start.... I would attempt a different company. I, since day one, had problems. Starting with the reps on the phone, installation, and getting the products to work correctly. If you would like to know more about my personal interactions with Dish network, feel free to email me. Now, I am not saying that everyone has a bad experience with them, I am just saying, my experience was not well. Since I'm in a contract with them, I have to deal with them now for the next year or so. Instead of being nice, like a proper company should treat customers, I think like they do and treat them with the same respect they give me.

DavidZ

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 25, 2007
Facing southwest you can probably get 110, 119 and 129 so hopefully one dish will do for you.
Which dish do you think they'll install? Which dish so you think they SHOULD install?

Be sure the installer peaks the dish on 129 after aligning it to 119.
I signed up for the Dish DVR Advantange package which includes AT200. Also, HBO and Playboy. Aren't most, if not all, of these channels on 110 and 119? Are any of these on 129?

I recall reading a page that shows which channels are on which satellites, but I can't find it. Would someone please provide the link to that page?

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Here you go.

Dish Network Channel Chart (Unofficial) (Credit to TNGTony and others)

Most of your HD content is on 129 or 61.5. The standard D1000 will pick-up 110/119/129. For 61.5 you would need a second wing dish pointed in that direction and in that case you could use a D500 for 110/119 and a D500 or even a old D300 for the 61.5 position. Some folks have better luck using a separate (perhaps larger) dish for the 129 slot. Some part of the dish selection process should be which sat. carries your HD locals (if any are or will be available to you)...

grb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 7, 2005
Southern CA
Which dish do you think they'll install? Which dish so you think they SHOULD install?

I signed up for the Dish DVR Advantange package which includes AT200. Also, HBO and Playboy. Aren't most, if not all, of these channels on 110 and 119? Are any of these on 129?

I recall reading a page that shows which channels are on which satellites, but I can't find it. Would someone please provide the link to that page?

You are right...the channels you signed up for are all on 110/119. A Dish 500 can handle these two satellites. However, in the future, you may want HD and will then need an additional dish to pick up 129 or 61.5 (they essentially mirror each other except that 129 has HD locals in some areas and 61.5 does not). If you can, get a Dish 1000 now and this will minimize your future costs.

Remember that Dish gives lots of freebees including receivers, DVR's, HD receivers and HD DVR's to new customers but 2-3 months later, when you are an existing subscriber, you pay through the nose for the same things....

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Slaton, Texas
If you ordered an SD DVR it will be a 625 and you will get a Dish 500 looking at only 110 an 119. 129 reference was for HD. If you want to go HD you must wait 12 months then DIU would allow an upgrade to HD and D1000 would be included.

DavidZ

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 25, 2007
Here you go.

Dish Network Channel Chart (Unofficial) (Credit to TNGTony and others)
Excellent! Thank you!

Most of your HD content is on 129 or 61.5. The standard D1000 will pick-up 110/119/129. For 61.5 you would need a second wing dish pointed in that direction and in that case you could use a D500 for 110/119 and a D500 or even a old D300 for the 61.5 position. Some folks have better luck using a separate (perhaps larger) dish for the 129 slot. Some part of the dish selection process should be which sat. carries your HD locals (if any are or will be available to you)...
I forgot to say that I ordered the Dish HD package, too.

So, I need to be able to see both 110 and 119 and either 61.5 or 129. Is that correct?

If so, then I suspect they will probably try to install one dish (D1000?) which will be positioned to be able to see 110, 119 and 129. Is that a good guess?

Also, I live iin the Cleveland, OH area. Dish doesn't offer local HD channels yet for Cleveland. Will they give me an OTA antenna? Is this an indoor or outdoor antenna?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts