New Dish Customer Question

rickshobbies

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
Greetings!

I just had Dish installed for my 55" Mitsubishi RPTV. I went for the 522, a 510 and 301. The 522 is running single mode.

The question I have is in regards to the compression artifacts. On my 55", I notice the typical artifacts that everyone talks about (JPG style halos around things and color banding effects), but I also notice what looks like vertical "stripes" in the image. It's like the image is made from strips of pixels. The dividing lines between these "strips" is noticable on the 55" and I was wondering if this is the type of compression that everyone is talking about, or if I have something else going on. It's more noticable on the locals than anything else, but it affects all channels to some degree (though I don't get the Premiums like HBO to check it on).

Hopefully, I am describing this right. Oh, and my signals are over 100 on both tuners (I saw them during the install).

If anyone can chime in and let me know what the deal with this is, that would be great!

Regards,

Rick

May I suggest that you need to readjust all picture controls for satellite. I have a Toshiba 57" hd tv and it uses a " movie mode" that puts all picture controls at 50 % . I adjust from there on my sharpness down to 15% and I get a very good picture on all of my dishnetwork signal. Satellite picture was designed for a 20"- 27" tv screen . It is a known fact that big screens accentuate any artifacts in the picture.

Which is why I use the dvi cable form my 921dvr that eliminates the digital to analog artifacts that you are talking about. The dvi cable keeps it digital all the way from the satellite to your tv. It is so much better than component connections.

I also make sure the convergence is adjusted manually for all 4 quadrants of my screen that gives it the best in sharpness on my picture. It has an autofocus control but it is not as sharp as doing it myself.

The last thing I do is sit about 14 -15 'away from the screen. If you sit to close you will not enjoy the picture. In fact from the kitchen which is open to the living room, my picture is perfect.

Hope that what I suggest helps. :)

welcome to satellite guys. make sure to visit often.

check out the hdtv forums here at satellite guys. there might be someone with your tv who already posted tips and tweaks. if not, give a post on your brand tv and see who is able to help. lots of smart people over there.

if you feel comfortable, do a google search for "service menu" with your tv model number. make sure you read the directions before you start. going into the service menu terminate your warranty, but there is no way to tell if you went in there. make sure you read the directions before you start.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Good information! So, I take it that the verticle "strips" are part of the expected compression artifacts?

My TV has an HDMI port on it and I would love to use it, but the 522 only has S-Video. I plan to get an HDTV package as soon as I see one that has more of the channels that I watch in HD (ABC, WB, UPN, SciFi, Discovery, TNT). I know some of these can already be had, but not all. Plus, I don't want to buy any of the receivers unless they can be rented as none of them seem to be able to do MPEG-4 yet.

So, I guess I should search for some recommendations on ajusting the picture to reduce the artifacts. I have a calibration CD on order.

Mostly, I just wanted to make sure that those "strips" are part of the normal compression artifacts. I had not seen that type of artifacting before, so I wanted to make sure.

Rick

Original Question

Can anyone confirm if the artifacts I am seeing are expected or if there is something wrong?

Again, I am seeing the usual artifacts that everyone is talking about around edges and shading transitions. What I am also seeing are what look like vertical digital "strips" across the image. They are somewhat faint, but noticable. Not the pixelated blocks, but verticle strips.

I just want to make sure that there isn't something wrong with the receiver or something.

Thanks!

Rick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)