New Dish Customer ?

janzy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Dish installer just left after installing 3 receivers, one of which is a vip612.
I am used to DirectTV and the external esata hard drive.
Is there anyway to add an external HD with Dish?
Thanks

Be aware that the Dish EHD works differently than D*s.
It is for MOVING recordings to it from the receiver drive, and vice versa. You can not record directly to it (the either or principle) like D*. Unlike D* if you have any other VIP series DVR (622/722/722K), you can move the drive among them. And, it needs a USB drive.

Last edited:
since you did not say might not apply but if you have a 211K receiver you can add a EHD to it and turn it into a DVR also. On this unit you are recording to the EHD. You can not swap hard drives between this model and the 612 or 722 though

Be aware that the Dish EHD works differently than D*s.
It is for MOVING recordings to it from the receiver drive, and vice versa. You can not record directly to it (the either or principle) like D*. Unlike D* if you have any other VIP series DVR (622/722/722K), you can move the drive among them. And, it needs a USB drive.

Actually, it looks like you can record directly to the external drive now. I haven't tried it yet, but after I enabled this feature in the RecordPlus preference, when I create a DVR timer now I can choose "Ext".

Unless this is something else entirely or unimplemented... but I never noticed this before. Anyone else try this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts