New DISH EQ w/ FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jolt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Here's a quick run down of the situation (I don't want to make it seem like I'm trying to "hack" my system)

I have a 90cm Fortec Star dish up, With a FS Univeral KU LNB.

Local Phone company offered a DSL/DISH Network/Local+Long distance bundle. With the bundle they gave, It was like picking up AT60 service from DISH for free.

Installer comes out in two days to put the "pizza" dish up on the roof, and I was wondering if I could use the 18 in. dish and the DishPRO LNB on it for FTA use with my Fortec Star 786?

I know I'll need a DiSEqC switch for the FTA side, but what do I get for the DISH side?

I'll have two receivers, the FS 786, and the Dish 322, along with two different dishes (and LNBs!).

I'm looking to get mainly some music channels and GolTV from the 18 in. dish with the FS 786 receiver.

Should I give up, pull out the old 18' DirecTV dish I have stored in the back shed out and try to find a circular LNB? My old direct TV LNB died a while back.

Yes, I know about the "quad" LNBs, I'm trying to avoid spending the $70 for just some music!

actually if your receiver allows you to specify two LO frequencies a DishPro LNBF will work. 11250 and 14350

The Fortec 786 works with the universal LNBs. You have to specify the LO frequencies by hand, so I certainly could use these frequencies. It then uses a 22Hz tone to tell the LNB to flip between the frequencies.

I'm not sure how the DishPRO LNB "flips" between these frequencies. I'm hoping that it mimics the universal enough that it's just the LO frequencies that are different.

Pepper, thanks for the LO frequencies.

jolt
I assume they put a DishProPlus LNB up (so they only needed to run one line to the 322).

DishProPlus doesnt work real well with FTA. It might work but you have to change alot of info to make it work (if it even would work). Reason is DPP uses stacked frequencies (they stack both H & V polarities on the same line) so you have to separate them. There was some discussion a while abck on it. I would do a search in this area for DishPro (I'll check later to see if I can find it)

The easiest is the separate DirecTv dish.

Dp/dpp

I know i'm new, 1st post!! BUT

most FTA receivers will control most DP equip quite well. I carry one on my truck for troubleshooting whatever. DP does mean band stacking 950-1450 1550-2150Mhz, odds than evens. DP is really just a marketing term used by Dish, FTA receicers already do this they just don't brag about it, 950-2150Mhz. The hard part is getting it setup right. Use the diseqc settings to set the sat & port than scan all Xponders vertical.

DPPlus adds an extra few functions. It does band stacking , odds than evens but can also does odd than odd and even than even, any combination of Xponders. Reduces the number of wires to dual-tuner receivers. Might work with FTA, have yet to try. DPP44sw does support legacy switching witch might also work, not sure about DPPTwin.

Last edited:
Iceberg,
Looks like it's a DPP LNB. There is a single wire that goes to a DPP separator, then it goes to the two inputs on the receiver.

io_addict, thanks for the tip! Looks like I have some playing around to do this weekend!

Interestingly enough, they put a diplexer before the splitter, and send the signal back out on the same wire for my other TV on UHF 60.

This got me thinking, couldn't I put a splitter/combiner on the diplexor, and put my FTA system on channel 3, and my TiVo on channel 4?

Also, when I get a new FTA receiver, could I do this setup...

Line->DPP separator->line 2->FS 786->Dish 322. Essentially, I'll "slave" the second input on the Dish 322 to the FTA receiver. I figure a less than $50 used FTA receiver would be great just for the music channels.

Line->DPP separator->line 2->FS 786->Dish 322. Essentially, I'll "slave" the second input on the Dish 322 to the FTA receiver. I figure a less than $50 used FTA receiver would be great just for the music channels.

wont work. you cant use the separator to go to 2 different boxes. The separator MUST go straight to both ports of the receiver

channelmaster will automatically calculate the dishpro freq. into a circular one. Then download the modified freqs/sr into receiver, or use them to input manually into your receiver. Don't have a dishpro lnb, but heard that it works

Yes, Sharris, that does work with Channel Master. I wired 110 and 119 from the DP34 on my Dish Superdish into the Diseqc switch that runs into my Coolsat. At first, I only picked up about half the TPs (vertical only I think) but I changed the TP frequencies with Channel Master, and I can now pickup all the TPs.

Of course, your TP frequencies will no longer match those in Lyngsat, as you end up with TPs in the 13000s.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts