Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
NEW DISH NETWORK™ CAMPAIGN ENCOURAGES CONSUMERS TO ‘PICK YOUR PACKAGE, PICK YOUR PRICE’

Campaign Focuses on Customers’ Desire to Only Pay for What They Watch

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., May 25, 2006 – EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) and its DISH Network™ satellite TV service this week unveiled a new multimedia brand campaign highlighting DISH Network as the television provider of choice. The campaign centers on the message that DISH Network provides the most package options in the country, giving consumers the power to “Pick Your Package, Pick Your Price.” All elements of the campaign will continue to support DISH Network’s overarching brand message: “Better TV for All.”

“We understand that when it comes to individual TV viewing habits and budgets, one size does not fit all,” said Jody Martin, senior vice president of Marketing for DISH Network. “We know consumers are frustrated by having to pay a lot for programming they don’t watch, and our new branding campaign focuses on the fact that DISH Network offers the widest choice of packages so they can just pay for what they want.”

With three primary package line-ups -- America’s Top, DishHD and DishLATINO -- plus package pricing as low as $19.99 per month, DISH Network lets customers buy the type and the amount of programming that best suits their needs. Martin added that DISH Network’s ability to let customers tailor their viewing experience is something bundled offers can’t provide for the advertised price, and more often than not, viewers who de-bundle and switch to DISH Network save more money.

The new branding campaign launched today with national television spots, followed by direct response TV ads, print and Web advertising throughout the summer.

For more information on DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com, call 1-800-333-DISH (3474), or contact your local DISH Network retailer.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 12.2 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network™, the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service

Yeah exactly, another lame slogan that doesn't quite work...I'll take everything for nothing too...

At least you shouldn't see a half-naked old man on the commercials this time, though the "package" part makes me wonder how true that will be...

Dish Network has absolutely the WORST marketing department. Whoever thought of this should be put out to pasture.

Dish Network has the BEST name and they could do a lot with the name Dish yet they keep coming up with all this crap.

If the Pick you package pick your price was really true we would NOT be forced to pay for the VOOM channels in the new HD packs.

In other words they would have the $9.95 HD package and some other Voom package. Right now HD cost about $20 more a month.

Most cable systems HD is free and Direct TV HD is about $10 more a month.

The Pick your package pick your price is not True when it comes to HD.
False Advertising . . .

ScottChez said:
Most cable systems HD is free and Direct TV HD is about $10 more a month.

Not sure where you are, but there are Time Warner Cable and Comcast available here locally. Neither offers free HD. Paying the HD receiver fee does get the locals, plus maybe Discovery HD for free. Everything else is part of other packages ($6.95-$9.95).

Dish Pick Your Package Deal

I will be receiving my VIP622 today from Dish-Store for the new reduced price. Since I will be owning the unit and I have no commitments with Dish, I will be testing their advertisement. I am planning to subscribe to only the DISH-HD stand-alone package with out any further commitment. I know some people are able to do this. Strangely, NONE of the CSRs I talked to knew about it and I had to walk them thru their web site to show that a Dish-HD stand-alone package does exist. Even then they could not tell me for sure what the total cost will be on a monthly basis.

I will know the truth in the next couple of days.

Rajumon said:
I will be receiving my VIP622 today from Dish-Store for the new reduced price. Since I will be owning the unit and I have no commitments with Dish, I will be testing their advertisement. I am planning to subscribe to only the DISH-HD stand-alone package with out any further commitment. I know some people are able to do this. Strangely, NONE of the CSRs I talked to knew about it and I had to walk them thru their web site to show that a Dish-HD stand-alone package does exist. Even then they could not tell me for sure what the total cost will be on a monthly basis.

I will know the truth in the next couple of days.
Good luck with that and please report back! As a "grandfathered" HD Pack/voom subscriber and with my 622 purchased I was able to hold onto my old programming (including AT60 and locals and 2 ala carte NY SD channels) but that does NOT include any of the new MPEG-4 channels. I hope you can arrive on a package that is just the HD, and all of it! I was under the impression that all new HD subs would have to take at least HD Bronze...

PS - Can you provide the link to the DishNet page that has the standalone package? I can't find it. TIA...

WTF is this?

there is nothing new or different about this.

And their new HD packs are worse than what they had previously

BS marketing hype. The only services that offer real ala-cart are C-Band and in some sense Star Choice.

NightRyder

Last edited:
Judicature said:
I don't know, Scott, that - "does your tv suck?" campaign is a pretty tough act to follow.... :rolleyes:

So true! LOL!

The old "Cable Pig" promo was pretty good though - very appropriate for our area.

--Doug

Regarding DishHd Stand-Alone Package

bhelms said:
Good luck with that and please report back! As a "grandfathered" HD Pack/voom subscriber and with my 622 purchased I was able to hold onto my old programming (including AT60 and locals and 2 ala carte NY SD channels) but that does NOT include any of the new MPEG-4 channels. I hope you can arrive on a package that is just the HD, and all of it! I was under the impression that all new HD subs would have to take at least HD Bronze...

PS - Can you provide the link to the DishNet page that has the standalone package? I can't find it. TIA...

I found out about this on this forum few months back. The link if I give you may not work because you have to log into Dish Network with an account and password. Assuming you do, this is what you need to do:

Go to "Customer Care", log in to your account -> under "My Account" on the left, select "HD Programming" -> scroll to the bottom of the screen to "Dish Hd" (Stand-alone Package). The price is $29.99 and also lists the satellites needed.

The text in the box is confusing though - it refers to HD and SD programming. In fact one Dish CSR even thought that this package included Dish Family (SD) package. I do not think that was correct. The text also does not list the HD channels in this package. I am hoping this package includes all HD channels except the premium movie Hd channels such as HBO-HD etc.

Another matter I am still not sure is whether the access fee ($ 6 ?) added to the 29.99 in addition to DVR fee. There were several threads asking about this in this forum, but I saw only speculations as replies, not one from some one actually subscribing only to the HD only package. I will have to wait and see.

All these new promotions that make no sense really only effect the local installers who have to create and run new ads. I like the one that's been running on the back of the coupon mailer lately...UPSIDE DOWN...it's too funny, and it's been doing it for weeks and I guess nobody cares...

Where can a subsriber get an "actual" list of programming available such as ala carte or specific areas such as sport package? What you can have and what must go with it or the other way around?:cool:

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dish Network has absolutely the WORST marketing department. Whoever thought of this should be put out to pasture.

Dish Network has the BEST name and they could do a lot with the name Dish yet they keep coming up with all this crap.

What do you expect from a marketing department that has a major block of commercial spots to sell on highly watched cable channels and the best they can come up with is Cytoslim, Enzite (Hi Bob), and my personal favorite, The Potty Putter?

Rajumon said:
I found out about this on this forum few months back...The text in the box is confusing though - it refers to HD and SD programming. In fact one Dish CSR even thought that this package included Dish Family (SD) package. I do not think that was correct. The text also does not list the HD channels in this package. I am hoping this package includes all HD channels except the premium movie Hd channels such as HBO-HD etc.

Another matter I am still not sure is whether the access fee ($ 6 ?) added to the 29.99 in addition to DVR fee. There were several threads asking about this in this forum, but I saw only speculations as replies, not one from some one actually subscribing only to the HD only package. I will have to wait and see.
Tks for the reply! I checked the link (worked) and you're right, it's there and confusing! Since per the description you only need 61.5 (all the nat'l HD stuff including the new MPEG-4 headered channels) and 110 (some AT60 channels from E8) I guess most of the "basic" channels I'm accustomed to in the AT60 package are not included since they're on 119 anyway. I don't have a clue what SD channels are included in the $29.99 HDPack. I guess the only way to be sure is to call and ask (assuming you get one definitive answer, of course!)

While I was in there I checked my new bill. I still see the following fees (I have 3, receivers, owned 622, leased 811, leased 311):

Add'l Receiver Access Fee $6.00
DVR Service Fee $5.98
HD Enabling Fee $6.00
Leased Receiver Fee $5.00

I'm guessing the HD enabling fee applies for the 811 (since I believe it's still the "primary" receiver on the account), the Leased Receiver Fee applies to the 311, and the other two apply for the 622. Sounds about right.

Have a great holiday weekend all, and BRgds...!

Dish says this:
“We understand that when it comes to individual TV viewing habits and budgets, one size does not fit all,” said Jody Martin, senior vice president of Marketing for DISH Network. “We know consumers are frustrated by having to pay a lot for programming they don’t watch, and our new branding campaign focuses on the fact that DISH Network offers the widest choice of packages so they can just pay for what they want.”

Yet if a Dish sub wants all HD channels and nothing else, they must pay $105/month for HD Platinum plus locals. Dish forces them to pay for hundreds of SD and music channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts