New dish owner with questions....

MartyB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2005
Elwood, IN
Hello all... we just had Dish installed 2 weeks ago today and so far, Good Riddance Insight Cable. (with the exception of a few channels...but oh well)...
I've been reading through the threads here and haven't been able to find answers to a couple of questions that have been on my mind.... so... thanks in advance for any information.

1. When they came out to install our service, they put our 522 in the den rather in the living room. Mind you, they didn't ask where we wanted the box, nor did we really speak up...other than we wanted DVR capabilities in the living room and den and the 311 in the bedroom... but didn't realise what was going on til after holes were drilled... so... the question is.... can the 522 box be moved to the living room without any adverse effects? Reason being, the living room has the enclosed entertainment center with the 52" and in the den, the box is just sitting on a shelf. Cables were used from our previous cable service for the living room tv .... any precautions I should take before making the move?

2. Our service is through SBC/Dish. I have been attempting to register at dishnetwork's website to be able to add movie packages, get the magazine at some point in the future, things of this nature. Is it not possible to register there if service wasn't ordered directly from Dish? I keep getting a message that our account is not found... if this is the case, and I call Dish to add programming, will there be a surcharge?

3. I've been reading some of the threads about channels and things of that nature... I miss my Oxygen... with what frequency does Dish add new channels? Any word on Logo, Trio, Oxygen just as examples?

Hopefully I haven't asked questions that I could have found answers to by digging deeper into the threads... if so, forgive me... and again... thanks in advance for any info!

As far as reciver location, I would call Dish and tell them that you are not happy with the install and you need the 522 relocated. I would also ask them why you recieved a 522 and not a 625... sounds like you got refurbished equipment. When you're on the phone with them you can also ask them about setting your account up online. As far as new programming,,,, few and far between. Enjoy your service.

MartyB said:
2. Our service is through SBC/Dish. I have been attempting to register at dishnetwork's website to be able to add movie packages, get the magazine at some point in the future, things of this nature. Is it not possible to register there if service wasn't ordered directly from Dish? I keep getting a message that our account is not found... if this is the case, and I call Dish to add programming, will there be a surcharge?
Hi MartyB,
Since your D* service is bundled with SBC - you will have no access to the Dish website to change or add any programs or receivers. When you call the dish phone# from home, you will be automatically transferred to SBC/Dishnetwork. They are the ones, who will do the changes for you. Your customer # with SBC is NOT a number which will be recognized by the Dish website.
When you call them, chose option #3 to get technical support.
Changing the location of the 522 shouldn't be that complicated to do.
Depends on your technical skills.
Hope it helps and good luck! :)

wobbie said:
As far as reciver location, I would call Dish and tell them that you are not happy with the install and you need the 522 relocated. I would also ask them why you recieved a 522 and not a 625... sounds like you got refurbished equipment. When you're on the phone with them you can also ask them about setting your account up online. As far as new programming,,,, few and far between. Enjoy your service.

SBC doesn't recognize the 625 as a receiver, for some strange reason. He's pretty much commited to the 522

Matt said:
Hi MartyB,
Since your D* service is bundled with SBC

D* is used as an abbreviation for DirecTV, not DISH Network. E* is the abbreviation for Echostar/DISH Network.

Thank you all so far for the info. My technical skills are... intermediate... I'm the one the friends and family always call to hook things up, but, it just sort of intimidated me with the two tv's/one box thing going on with the 522. I may give customer service a call, as suggested and see what happens with that.

chaddux said:
D* is used as an abbreviation for DirecTV, not DISH Network. E* is the abbreviation for Echostar/DISH Network.

I admit it too, that Chad is 1000% correct on this one :D

The biggest issue with the dual tuners is that they need 2 cables for sat in with DP equip, and 1 with a separator with DPP equipment. Depends on your situation, if there is 3 cables at the present location, pretty easy to figure out, run 2 new lines to your living room for the sat and use the existing cable as a backfeed. My suggestion have someone come back out. If there is separators and diplexors in line for a backfeed it gets quite a bit more technical

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts