New Dish Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bills41

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
If I buy a new Dish Receiver will my smart card work? Do I need to contact Dish about my new receiver? On satellite 110 my signal strength is about 60. Is that strong enough, or does my dish need tweeking? Thanks for any help.

You need to test 110 and 119 (if you have a Dish 500) and 129 as well (if you have a Dish 1000). 60 is pretty decent. I usually check transponder 11 on 110 and 119.

What smart card are you talking about in particular? Did you already have one when you got the receiver or did it come with one? What model number is the receiver? They require a purple G3 smart card unless its one of the latest models that do not require the card.

yes, and be careful. check with dish first. if you take a smartcard from one receiver and put it in another, thats not going to do it. lots of folks buy receivers off ebay with outdated useless smartcards, and end up having to buy new cards from dish.
in the long run, it may be cheaper to just get the receiver from dish.

My new dish receiver has a smart card built in that is not removable, so you may end up with the same. Depending on where you buy it from, make sure it is not a leased receiver.

Units with "built in" smart cards can still be updated with newer smart cards. There will still be a slot for a card. Not all "built in" cards are of the latest mark, and there no doubt will be security enhancements in the future.

Personally, I'd consider eBay too risky for this kind of purchase.

Yep, call Dish with the roo/sxx numbers to ensure it isn't leased, and there isn't a balance on it.

You need to test 110 and 119 (if you have a Dish 500) and 129 as well (if you have a Dish 1000). 60 is pretty decent. I usually check transponder 11 on 110 and 119.

What smart card are you talking about in particular? Did you already have one when you got the receiver or did it come with one? What model number is the receiver? They require a purple G3 smart card unless its one of the latest models that do not require the card.
It is the smart card Dish updated me with for my receiver , which is a 2700 model. I am not receiving the 110 satellite channels on it, however the receiver in my other room which is also a 2700 model brings in the channels on 110 okay. This just started happening yesterday. Is there anything that can be done to test, or remedy the problem with the receiver that is not receiving 110 channels?

OK, now we know why you are thinking of a new receiver. Really anything between your switch and that receiver could be at fault. So buying a new receiver will only fix the problem if it's the receiver that has gone bad.

I would recommend swapping the 2700's and see if the problem moves with the one that can't get 110. If it stays with the cable, then you know your receiver is fine and you need to fix something upstream (cable, swtches, LNBs).

OK, now we know why you are thinking of a new receiver. Really anything between your switch and that receiver could be at fault. So buying a new receiver will only fix the problem if it's the receiver that has gone bad.

I would recommend swapping the 2700's and see if the problem moves with the one that can't get 110. If it stays with the cable, then you know your receiver is fine and you need to fix something upstream (cable, swtches, LNBs).

Thanks your comments are appreciated and that sounds like a plan.

I think it might be the receiver, because I switched the receivers and the one works in either room.

What does it mean on the screen when it says searching for satellite and instead of 110 or 119 it says default?

did you perform a checkswitch???
menu 6-1-1 test

Yes I did that test. I think I am just going to call Dish and let them take care of it. Once again, thanks for all comments and suggesrtions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)