Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
For the last 10+ years SatelliteGuys has featured uplink reports using software that was created by John H. John wrote the entire thing in BASIC and did not comment his code at all.

John H. passed away a few years ago, but before he did him and Digiblur were working on things together. Luckily Digiblur learned just enough from John to keep it working before John H passed away.

Since then the Uplink has hummed along, but there have been some changes that have been made to the data stream which has caused issues for the software. In addition Digiblur got married and a new job so his work on the uplink software went by the wayside. Besides having issues with the data stream we were unable to filter out some of the sports moves. The only person who could add and fix filters was Digiblur. With him dealing with real life he has been unable to make the updates.

One day I got a note from QWERT1515 (Jeremy) who runs and created THELIST! He was concerned with the uplink and asked if he could take a look at John H's code. So I sent him the code. And QWERT1515 working together with Nelson61 took John's code and was able to figure it out and write us a brand new new uplink program!

The new program was written from scratch and took QWERT1515 hundreds of hours of time. It was written in a different language than the Basic that John H used and features a number of enhancements and error checking features. In addition, the code has been commented and well documented!

Over the past few weeks he has been testing the uplink report from his house and making adjustments as needed. He was just about to launch it when I threw a monkey wrench into the project... I then let him know that we were moving off of vBulletin to Xenforo, so that the automatic posting we had before would no longer work.

He took it in stride and asked me to setup a test forum with the Xenforo software and somehow (and I don't know how) he was able to get automatic posting working within just a few hours!

Now besides making us a new Uplink Program he has also improved the DISH Network channel listings you see at TheList or DISHCHANNELCHART.COM! When you go there the channel lineup is accurate when you are viewing it and like the uplink reports, when a change is made it is automatically updated there as well!

In addition the list of channels is update-able as well by the users. Currently there are many channels that we don't have the full channel name for. You can help us by going to the List of DISH Channel chart and submitting the name of channels we don't have the full name of. To submit is easy, just click on the "Unknown CLICK HERE to Update" button besides the channel. With your help we can make our information even more useful and accurate for you!

QWERT1515 has gone above and beyond here and I don't know how to thank him besides saying thank you! I wish I had something I could send him to express my thanks! Also thank you to Nelson61 for helping QWERT1515 with Everything! Nelson61 is the creator of our SatMaps! site and the satellite beams maps used by TheList! Nelson61 works directly with the FCC so that our information is as current as possible.

Please help me thank both QWERT1515 and Nelson61 for their hard work and dedication to SatelliteGuys!

Oh yeah! Thank you to QWERT1515 and Nelson61 for all the fine work you do to help make this one of the great websites known to man!

This is great news, I don't think many members knew the work John H, then Digiblur did. Now we have an improved process for the Uplink and even for the "The List." Thanks to QWERT1515 and Nelson61 for that work! This keeps Satguys one of the most comprehensive and up to date sites.

Thanks for all the hard work guys, it is greatly appreciated!!

the new Uplink reports seems to look up the android ap. (running kitkat 4.4.2, Verizon, RAZR Maxx HD)

Thanks for checking.

Unfortunately that is how Dish Network has identified it in the data stream. :(

Bizarre. I don't receive Harrisburg locals in addition to my DC locals. Plus I haven't heard any screaming and hollering from Harrisburg customers who don't get their locals at all. How is this even possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.