New DishHD $29.99 HD Only Package Details

Yes, before this, I was only subscribing to the old $9.99 HD Pack + locals. I am curious about that one too, I will probably call them on Monday to find out what the deal is.

I got my new bill today and sure enough dish was double charging me. The fees listed as:

DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
DISH NETWORK HD PACKAGE 9.99
DISHHD 29.99

I did a live chat and a phone call before the new bill was generated because I thought this might happen. The live chat ended with the equivalent of a hang up and the phone call had the CSR assure me I wouldn't be billed.

I called again when I saw this bill and the CSR removed the 9.99 package. When asked she said I would be credited for the double charge but I suspect I won't be.

In late August or early September of 2007 I paid $199 up front to upgrade from a 811 to a 722. I currently have AT100 DVR advantage and HD Ultimate. I'm still getting a promotion of $10 off for 10 months on the HD (bill shows 4 of 10mo.). I think my upgrade included an 18mo. commitment that would probably run through Feb of 09.

If I change my programming to the HD Only package, locals and DVR will I have to start another commitment period? Since I'm currently under a commitment will I be allowed to change? Will I lose the rest of my $10 for 10mo. promotion?

This looks like a good deal for me as most of what we would lose is not in my favorites list anyway. We would also pick up a few I'd like to have such as Animal Planet, National Geo and Science and save a few bucks as well. I don't care about RSN's.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
This Package Sounds Better...

…since my new bill for AT200 just went up by $2.00 this month. Well, I think I am ready to switch to this “HD only” package. I rarely watch any SD channels and stand to save about $35-36/month compared to my most recent bill for AT200 plus locals plus HD, etc.

CURRENT MONTHLY BILL (Feb-Mar)
AMERICA'S TOP 200 WITH LOCALS 49.99 (was 47.99)
DISH HOME PROTECTION PLAN (DHPP) 5.99
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
DISHHD ULTIMATE 20.00
LEASED RECEIVER FEE 7.00 (was 6.00)
Account Charges $ 88.96
Total $ 88.96
Taxes
STATE/LOCAL TAX (SALES/GROSS RECEIPTS) 5.81 (was 5.61)
Total Taxes $ 5.81
Total Amount Due
$ 94.77

QUOTED ‘HD ONLY’ BILL
HD Package: $29.99
Locals: $ 5.00
Leased Receiver Fee: $ 7.00
DVR Service Fee: $ 5.98
DHPP: $ 5.99
Taxes: ~$ 4.00
---------
Total: ~ $58

I am told by the CSR that I am now out of contract so that should not be an issue. The one SD channel I will miss will be the Weather Channel during hurricane season (live in Houston). The other thing I will miss is Fox RSW. But I would not pay $35/month for those two channels, so I will see what transpires tomorrow when I make the switch. Does my reasoning make sense? Good discussions on this here, thanks a lot.

...Does my reasoning make sense? Good discussions on this here, thanks a lot.
You can save another $5.99 by dropping the DHPP. I have NEVER seen a post by anyone who has dropped DHPP who has regretted it. And many people have reported that they were able to signup for DHPP AFTER they had a problem and got the full benefits of DHPP within hours or in some cases in the very same call!

Talon Dancer

Cut your programming in Half as well!;)
If only that were really true.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately the dishHD (only) package includes huge wads of SD programming that I had hoped would disappear from my programming guide.... the multitude of shopping channels, lots of PPV channels, etc. :rolleyes:

In the end as At100 + HD subs who switched to dishHD (only), we lost ONE bit of programming we actually care about -- the SciFi channel. But we gained National Geographics HD and Animal Planet HD. One step backwards but two steps forward :)

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
If only that were really true.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately the dishHD (only) package includes huge wads of SD programming that I had hoped would disappear from my programming guide.... the multitude of shopping channels, lots of PPV channels, etc. :(

Just lock the channels you do not want in your guide. You will never know they are there.:)

Just lock the channels you do not want in your guide. You will never know they are there.:)
Opps I used the wrong smiley (now fixed).

FWIW my point was that the Dish web site is quite misleading about the dishHD package programming. And many people seem to have taken Dish literally when it stated that dishHD is "The only all high definition programming package on the market today". When in fact much of the SD programming in the AT100, 200, or 250 packages IS INCLUDED in the dishHD (only) package.

Talon Dancer

Talon or anyonce can you expand on the post about SD channels also included or link to what is in the HD only package besides HD? I know locals in SD/HD and I know the HD lineup but what other SD content from the AT packs is there with it?

I've hesiated to switch to the all HD pack for three reasons:
1. Lack of childrens programming
2. Lack of information on future Channels
(whats coming/when is it coming and will it be included or jack up the price)
3. Commitment - won't commit to newer long term contracts until I know more on #1&2

Currently my contract is up I've been with dish a long time, my bill is high for much I don't watch the HD pack would be a great fresh start for me if Dish can clear a few hurdles. I'd commit and sell my older non HD PVR recievers or give them to my Father.

Talon or anyonce can you expand on the post about SD channels also included or link to what is in the HD only package besides HD? I know locals in SD/HD and I know the HD lineup but what other SD content from the AT packs is there with it?

I've hesiated to switch to the all HD pack for three reasons:
1. Lack of childrens programming
2. Lack of information on future Channels
(whats coming/when is it coming and will it be included or jack up the price)
3. Commitment - won't commit to newer long term contracts until I know more on #1&2....
I'll repeat the list from post #302 in this thread because I had left out a whole class of SD -- the SD PPV channels.

Besides the HD channels shown on the Dish web site you get...
* all the SD equivalents of those HD channels (even HGTV & Food that have different content)
* all of the SD channels of a Premium Movie package (if you sub the package)
* your SD Locals (if you sub locals)
* the SD Public Interest channels
* the SD Shopping channels
* the SD PPV channels
* the SD free previews

I'm not saying that the SD content included in dishHD (only) is the programming many people want (news, children's, weather, etc.), just that the dishHD package is far from HD only.

IMO whether or not any new HD content will be included in this dishHD (only) package is a red herring. AFAIK there is no assurance that all new HD content will be automatically included in ANY of the dishHD packages -- including dishHD Ultimate. And even if all the new HD is included in dishHD Ultimate, it may not be available to AT100 subs (e.g. as NatGeoHD, Animal Planet HD, etc. are not now). Since there was no new commitment when I switched from AT100 + HD to dishHD (only), I just plan to cross that bridge when I come to it. Meanwhile I'm saving $25+/mo. and getting more HD programing than before :)

Talon Dancer

You can save another $5.99 by dropping the DHPP. I have NEVER seen a post by anyone who has dropped DHPP who has regretted it. And many people have reported that they were able to signup for DHPP AFTER they had a problem and got the full benefits of DHPP within hours or in some cases in the very same call!

Talon Dancer

Good thought, thanks. I have been needing them to come adjust the dish on my roof to get more consistent reception on 129 satelllite channels; I get a lot of 'lost signals' on some HD transponders of 129. I will probably wait until after they do that to drop the DHPP.

These online CSRs are a bunch of morons. All I want is DishHD for my parent's account, I have been told 2 different things so far.

#1 Dish HD is only available with international programming.

#2 Dish HD is only available to new customers that don't wish to have a base package.

So I guess I am getting closer and closer but the stupidity is frustrating, esp. when you have to argue with them the Dish HD package exists and the guy gives you the link to it as well, yet he doesn't see it. Sorry for ranting, just a frustrating experience. Perhaps I am better served just calling, but who knows. Going to attempt #3 now.

Edit:

Well attempt #3 was a success, agent Karen T knew everything and changed my programming, also waived the $5 downgrade fee. Man what a hassle, but I am glad to save my folks some money for HD programming.

Last edited:
I took the plunge and switched from AT200 to Dish HD with locals. It was a breeze. I also made sure that they added the free public interest channels. The CSR had to check with his manager but it didn't take very long. Calling at 5 p.m. usually gets me an American who can actually help me quickly and does things correctly. I'll miss my RSNs but I'm saving a bunch of $$$. They really need to let us add the sport pack. I wanted to pay for it but they wouldn't let me. I got to keep these channels for some reason:

AMC
IFC
Fuse
Hallmark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts