New DishHD $29.99 HD Only Package Details

...This package needs a NEWS channel (HDNEWS doesn't really count. It's a novelty), the weather channel, and a kids channel in addition to what is currently included in order to be viable.
The current market for this package is LINKs -- Literate Internet savvy w/ No Kids :)

Anyone who is literate and internet savvy doesn't need national News and Weather via their TV.

Talon Dancer

Breakdown of fees....

I don't subscribe to an SD package, only the legacy HD pack - I was upset when they took Voom away from me last summer. So, as you can imagine, I am elated to see this stand alone HD pack is available again! They did something similar a couple of years back, but it was only around for 6 months or so.

Here is the actual breakdown of the costs from my bill:

ACCESS FEE 6.00
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
DISH NETWORK HD PACKAGE 9.99
HD ENABLING FEE 6.00
SAN FRANCISCO CA LOCALS 5.99

Here is what it means....

Everyone pays the access fee, whether they realize it or not. This is a fee that is included in your ATXX packages, or Dish HD packages. If you do not have qualified programming, like myself, it shows up itemized. It is a fee for accessing the infrastructure, programming guides, etc...

THe DVR service fee is actually charged for DVRs with a hard drive over 100GB. Models with smaller hard drives, like the 50x series don't pay it.

The local channels are $6.00/mo instead of $5.00/mo if you don't have qualified programming. In other words, the access fee should be higher, but they like to spread the costs to other areas so they don't upset you as much because you aren't jumping through the right hoops with their qualified programming package.

The HD enabling fee is a weird one. You don't pay it if you have qualified programming. I have the HD pack, so they charge it to me. If I ordered some SD programming, they would waive the fee. Imagine that, watch SD to qualify for enabling the HD programming! It is weird.

The bottom line is that Scott said, "This “standalone” HD package constitutes minimum qualifying programming". That usually means that the HD enabling fee, and the access fee should be included in the price.

All said, the bill really should be $34.99/mo with locals.

Do you agree with my interpretation Scott??

What about those of use that have packages like NHL CI? I wonder how that will work. Will I still get the SD games when HD is not available? Also, would I get the games on my local RSN if I don't have access to it with the HD only package? (They currently get blacked out on the CI channels.)

...The HD enabling fee is a weird one. You don't pay it if you have qualified programming. I have the HD pack, so they charge it to me. If I ordered some SD programming, they would waive the fee. Imagine that, watch SD to qualify for enabling the HD programming! It is weird...
That is weird... although in the E* fee structure, weird, somehow makes sense.

Just got word from Dish Network that if you subscribe to this HD only package that you CAN NOT subscribe to any of the sports packages such as NHL Extra Ice.

Well that just sucks. I was really thinking of doing this package and then the multi-sports package. That would have been just perfect. Will have to reconsider it now. I really need the Fox RM HD, Midwest HD, and Altitude HD.

I think they need to reconsider this.

Shawn

The HD enable fee is going up to $7.00. If you dont want an HD pack get rid of your HD reciever and get a TR-50 DVR.

If it included Nickelodeon and Sci-Fi, I would go for it immediately. We watch NO SD programming other than Nick and I guess, the occasional Disney. Well, I don't, but my kid does... :)

I can live without RSNs. They rarely have anything on them anyway. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)