New Dishplayer7100-Why is it working so well?

mattyro

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I found a never used(confirmed by Dish) 7100 on ebay, got it for $20 and hooked it up. The first couple of hours I kept getting the "Getting TV information" screen. At this point I just told myself to not get upset;after all this was a DP and having owned one or two in my day I was prepared for an uphill struggle. Well, I turned it off for a while and when I powered back up I got a screen saying I had just received a software upgrade and blah blah blah. The very first thing I see is the "getting TV info" screen and now I'm getting angry cuz this screen stays for quite a while. SINCE THEN I HAVE NOT SEEN THAT SCREEN AND IT HAS BEEN THREE DAYS!!!!! I think after the upgrade the 7100 truly was getting tv information and doesnt need to do it anymore.Besides that EVERYTHING WORKS FLAWLESSLY!?!I bop around from HOME to TV LISTINGS back to HOME then INFO AND HERE THERE AND EVERYWHERE AND THE UNIT SIMPLY DOES WHAT IT IS ASKED. Ya know how you press buttons on a Tivo and don't worry that something might go wrong?? That's what this DP is like. I'm still wary about making sure my codes are nearby in case of trouble but as for now I am a happy and quite surprised camper!!

My DP7200 is stable and reliable after many years, many s/w upgrades, and a couple of replacement hard drives. If it did HD, I never would have learned what a POS the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD is, or how awful Charter PQ is. And, sadly, I'll probably retire the 7200 in a few days when my 942 arrives.

But a working 7200 is an excellent reference DVR against which many "modern" DVRs compare pretty badly.