new DVR Advantage program

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
I'm surprised nobody else has posted about this yet.

In my last billing statement, I got a sheet advertising their new DVR Advantage program. The deal is that if you maintain at least AT100 plus locals plus a DVR, they'll give you a discount that varies depending on your base package but amounts to more or less waiving the DVR fee. (Plus your price is guaranteed until February 2009, but since they just raised the prices this month I would hope they wouldn't raise them mid-year anyway!)

I went to their website to see if there was anything about this, and it was right on the front page plus right on top of the My Account page. And they're offering to let you sign up online. But when I get to the final signup page, I get "Due to technical difficulties, we are unable to process your request at this time. You may try again in a few moments or contact the Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for account assistance." This has been happening all day. I haven't resigned myself to dealing with a CSR on the phone yet, I'm going to give it a few more days to see if they get the website fixed.

If they really wanted to build customer enthusiasm, they should automatically enroll people who meet the requirements and send them a message or a letter saying that they've given them a gift for being good customers. But I suppose that would be too creative for Dish.

The sheet also included a new channel listing in very tiny print. I didn't bother scrutinizing it for accidentally-added HD channels because I figured it would be a waste of time. Plus Comcast used to send me new channel lineup cards with the old channel lineup just days before the lineup was due to change on an annual basis. Losers.

It doesn't sound like they said much about it a year ago either, otherwise why have I been paying the DVR fee for a year? Or was there some other restriction back then? (So far I haven't seen anything that says it doesn't apply to those with HD service, for example.)

DVR did start a year ago and by signing up it froze your rate until Feb 2009. There was a big push to get people to sign up before the new prices took affect earlier this month as well as last year.

But when I get to the final signup page, I get "Due to technical difficulties, we are unable to process your request at this time. You may try again in a few moments or contact the Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for account assistance." This has been happening all day

I have been getting this everyday for the last week. I'm about ready to just call but haven't taken the time to do so.

What a bunch of clowns Dish has for programmers. I tried again yesterday, still got the error message at the last page. So I went to the online chat, and told the representative who answered that I was trying to sign up for DVR advantage through the website but I got an error. The rep said "OK" and then the chat window kept refreshing without any further responses. So I closed it. After that, every time I go to Dish's website, I no longer get the banner about signing up for DVR Advantage when I'm signed in. There's an ad for it on the front page before I sign in, but clicking on it takes me to DishBuilder (which it should if I was a new customer.) Before, there was a big ad for DVR Advantage on the first page after I signed in, which took me through the process of reading the requirements for DVR Advantage and then offered to let me sign up, after which it gave an error if I tried to do so.

So, before I have to deal with India, can anyone confirm for me that:

1) DVR Advantage is available to existing customers

and

2) DVR Advantage is available to HD customers

The web pages that used to be available during the signup process only said "AT100 or higher" and gave prices for AT100, AT200, and AT250, they never said anything about HD. I'm still trying to figure out why I never signed up for DVR Advantage in the first place if it's been available for a year, unless it wasn't available while I was under my 18-month contract.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts