new dvr requires additional dish--setup

randyk

Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
If I sign up for the new DVR deal, Dish tells me that I will need an additional satellite dish. Apparently the MPEG 4 HD channels come off a different satellite than my satellite dish will receive (Dish 500 in Northeast Arkansas). Will this require another cable to be run into my house or will the two dishes be, somehow, combined? I don't want to run any more cables.

if you are replacing a current reciever, then they shouldnt have to run any more cable. They will combine the satellites with a switch out at the dish most likely

Desn't the 1000 take care of everything? Why would 2 dishes be required.

I'm getting hooked up Tuesday and I was hoping that my old 500 would just be replaced by a 1000.

if you are replacing a current reciever, then they shouldnt have to run any more cable. They will combine the satellites with a switch out at the dish most likely

That's how they did mine....I got a second dish and they just put another switch outside.

I'm getting hooked up Tuesday and I was hoping that my old 500 would just be replaced by a 1000.

Sounds like they are not giving away the 1000s that easily.

Maybe I should take the 500 down and they won't have a choice. I do not want 2 of them on my roof.

Is there a signal advantage on way or the other?

They replaced my 500 with a 1000 ! Call and see what equipment they have scheduled, they should tell you.

When they replace an existing dish, do you get to keep the old equipment? I'm not on a lease plan. Installer coming Saturday to do the HD upgrade.

I have a Dish 500 for 110 and 119 and a second for 148 in Los Angeles going to a DP34. I guess one option is to ditch 148 and point it at 129 for HD, but I'd like to maintain maximum flexibility for the future.

Thanks.

Maybe I should take the 500 down and they won't have a choice. I do not want 2 of them on my roof.

Is there a signal advantage on way or the other?

If you can get a LOS to 61.5 for HD service, it's better than 129. But that requires 2 dishes.

Hey Navy,

I have two D500's set up, originally to receive 110/119 and 61.5 but I noticed on 61.5 that my HD locals were not showing up and some of the other HD channels were not either. CSRs tell me that they are on 129 but you are telling people to go for 61.5. Do you use 61.5 and how are you doing that because I am in the NOVA area too? Thanks

Would be correct in assuming geographic location make a difference in what setup is best.

I'm in Iowa.

If your sig is current, that's because the 942 is not an MPEG4 receiver.

So, even though I'm receiving signal from the 61.5 bird, my DVR knows not to show those channels in my EPG?

My locals are MPEG4? I thought 61.5 was MPEG2 and 129 was MPEG4.

I'm also getting hooked up on Tuesday (in Iowa), they better not stick a second dish on the house, and they better let me keep my Dish500. I've paid for all my equipment, never leased before. I'm guessing that if I tell them I want a 1000 I will get it, since my order was placed by the executive office.

So, even though I'm receiving signal from the 61.5 bird, my DVR knows not to show those channels in my EPG?

My locals are MPEG4? I thought 61.5 was MPEG2 and 129 was MPEG4.

Correct, your reciever is ONLY going to show the channels that you are able to get on that particular receiver.

And incorrect, 61.5 and 129 are not just different MPEG formats.

any HD channels turned on in the last year or so, including locals, are only available to the MPEG4 recievers, no matter what satellite they come from.

Correct, your reciever is ONLY going to show the channels that you are able to get on that particular receiver.

And incorrect, 61.5 and 129 are not just different MPEG formats.

any HD channels turned on in the last year or so, including locals, are only available to the MPEG4 recievers, no matter what satellite they come from.

Ok, I think DC Metro HDs have been on for longer than a year but they must be MPEG4 since I have never been able to find them.

Is 61.5 going to be around for awhile? Especially since 129 is supposed to have problems?

Thanks for straightening me out on this - I hate when I have the wrong understanding on these things. I guess I haven't been reading as closely as I needed to!

There are no plans to move the DC HD Locals to another slot. 61.5 has all the national HD channels that are on 129. You need a VIP622 to DVR those channels.

My set up has been working just fine since the 2nd dish (61.5) was installed several years ago. This includes HD locals, VOOM, etc. Just FYI.

--Doug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)