New "E" version 622, HDMI OK? Mixed results

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Well, here's some Good News, I guess: I finally got around to swapping-out my "D" version 622 that never had any video or audio on the HDMI connection to my Sony KDLV40XBR1 HDTV. The new unit ("E" version) worked on HDMI on that same TV from the first time an image appeared on the screen and there is also audio there (I won't swear it's 5.1 SS, tho'). So far, so good! (I have the component cables hooked-up as "back-ups" tho' - Murphy's Law preventive measure.)

The so-so news: I can't see any improvement in the OTA tuner on this unit. My OTA signals are marginal on the TV but at least always stable on one HD channel (PBS). The 622 detected the same three PBS subchannels but the HD is very flaky, same as with the other 622 that I just sent back. No other digital channels were detected by the 622, tho' 4 others at least appear in the TV's and 811's channel listings. So I guess I'll need to look for other answers to my OTA signal dilemma. (In fairness, those other digital channels in the TV and 811 were detected and mapped-down when there were no leaves on the trees. The TV was also not able to receive any digitals other than the 3 PBS subs last evening.)

The bad news: THE REPLACEMENT 622 ARRIVED DAMAGED !!! I'll "mention" this to E* in another thread, and I have already done so to the two E* tech reps that helped me activate last evening. The damage is only on the rear panel near the power cord input and *may* be only cosmetic. I had the techs put a note into my account records to the effect that I *may* be calling them back in a week or so to request another replacement for this damaged unit. But if it works well (i.e., no other commonly-reported glitches detected, etc.) then I might just stick with it. The minor damage that is there can easily be repaired, but it will require pulling the cover. (Do I want to do that ??)

A side benefit: The second tech looked at my account and convinced me to abandon my old HD Pack/voom (plus AT60, locals, etc.) in favor of the HD Bronze package and actually saved me $0.99 per month even with the equipment I have! At that rate it will take me only 42 years to get the pay-back on my purchased 622, BUT I will now get those 7 additional "M-4" HD channels plus the new ones on the way !! New price $85.82/mo. I was paying $67.81 with the 811/311/4700 and just 15 M-2 HD channels.

BTW - Kudos to both E* techs who helped me last night, David and Brian! They were both completely knowledgeable and efficient - overall a completely pleasant experience.

More to follow as I do some temp. experimenting. The initial temps. after about 1/2 hour of low-HDD use were: 123H, 84L, 98A...

It is nice to hear about E* techs who are helpful. Most of the ones I have delt with in the past have also been great with a good sense of humor. I only had one that was a bastard and that was when I first reported my HDMI didn't work anymore on my 622. He treated me as if I was deaf. Lucky I called back and got a great one again. he was the one who sent me my replacement unit and after a month it seems to be working ok. Just lost Sat 110 but that maybe an LNB or dp44switch issue. Coming out tomorrow to check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts