New Eastern Arc Markets & HD Locals Coming October 22nd

So I'm in Waco... Should I be expecting a call from Dish letting me know that they are coming out to install the 61.5 Sat, or do I need to call them myself?

Bobby H,

Looking at the uplink report for 09/24/2008, KSWO is on the list, but Kauz is not. I have my Dish pointed at 61.5 and I'll let you know when they show up.

Last edited:
If I have (or am about to have) two ViP622 DVR receivers (to be installed as upgrades) and one DISH 522 (currently) in the Birmingham market, will the 522 work on the Eastern Arc with the 1000.4 dish? My upgrade installation is scheduled for Saturday (October 18). If I can still use the 522 with the EA/1000.4, I will postpone my installation until after October 22.

EA is meant ONLY for ViP series receivers. The 625 will NOT work with EA.

Don't sweat it. Unless you're hot for a single dish solution, you may actually be better off with the "old ways."

EA is meant ONLY for ViP series receivers. The 625 will NOT work with EA.

Don't sweat it. Unless you're hot for a single dish solution, you may actually be better off with the "old ways."

I guess I was editing as you were posting a reply. I assume the same would be true with the 522 (edited post) as with the 625 (erroneous original post).

Scott Greczkowski said:
· Transitioning SD-Only Markets –
o South Bend-Elkhart, IN
Gee, I guess it wasn't a coincidence that I got my G3 Purple Cards, huh? Not that I would, but I don't suppose I could swing my Dish 500 around to pick up the 61.5?W/72?W satellites and use my Dish 300 currently @ 61.5?W for 77?W?

I guess I need to be real good so Santa will bring me a Dish 1000.4 and the new 24" Apple Cinema Display :)

Last edited:
Gee, I guess it wasn't a coincidence that I got my G3 Purple Cards, huh? Not that I would, but I don't suppose I could swing my Dish 500 around to pick up the 61.5?W/72?W satellites and use my Dish 300 currently @ 61.5?W for 77?W?
You likely could do just that. The spacing of the 500 is designed for nine degrees instead of eleven but it would most likely work fine. You would definitely need to adjust the skew.

Bill Millar said:
Looking at the uplink report for 09/24/2008, KSWO is on the list, but KHOU is not. I have my Dish pointed at 61.5 and I'll let you know when they show up.

Thanks for the heads up.

However..."KHOU"? I don't know which channel that is for certain. Is it a PBS affiliate or something? The channel 3 NBC station is KFDX. The Fox 18 station is KJTL. KAUZ channel 6 is CBS.

I won't sweat it if E* misses KSWO in Lawton, since I can receive that one in HD over the air. But I would sure like to at least get the Fox and CBS stations to see some NFL games in HD.

Erie, PA? Anyone?
If I had to guess. Waiting for all 4 networks to go HD before we see them. Dishnetwork seems to go in order of market rank and Erie ranks 143 I think. I would hope by the time the snow melts next year they will be up on the Sat and they finally would get rid of listing 35 as channel 5!!! Channel 12 and 24 goes HD OTA 2/17/09 fingers crossed.

If I had to guess. Waiting for all 4 networks to go HD before we see them. Dishnetwork seems to go in order of market rank and Erie ranks 143 I think. I would hope by the time the snow melts next year they will be up on the Sat and they finally would get rid of listing 35 as channel 5!!! Channel 12 and 24 goes HD OTA 2/17/09 fingers crossed.

I'm getting 35, 54 and 12 in HD on the basic lifeline TWC QAM plug-in. So I guess we're waiting for 24? But I've seen many a market go HD with E* without having all the affiliates lined up.

(I really don't care right now. Still getting the Browns and networks via the QAM)

So does this mean those of us in Omaha have to get a new dish installed to point at the EA in order to get our locals in HD? Are the people at Dish this stupid?

So does this mean those of us in Omaha have to get a new dish installed to point at the EA in order to get our locals in HD? Are the people at Dish this stupid?
Actually you'd just have to get a "wing dish" pointed at 61.5 added on to your existing system. Unfortunately, if they're "splitting" the country, at some place in the country people will have to deal with that problem. Unfortunately for us, we're on the "deal with it" side of the split. Ultimately, hopefully, this will result in more national HD signals, so if that's the case it'll be good in the long run.

I'm just hoping I can get my 5 week old 1000.2 swapped out for a 1000.4 rather than having a "wing dish", since I meet all of the other criteria needed to be EA (all VIP boxes, no international, etc).

Actually you'd just have to get a "wing dish" pointed at 61.5 added on to your existing system. Unfortunately, if they're "splitting" the country, at some place in the country people will have to deal with that problem. Unfortunately for us, we're on the "deal with it" side of the split. Ultimately, hopefully, this will result in more national HD signals, so if that's the case it'll be good in the long run.

I'm just hoping I can get my 5 week old 1000.2 swapped out for a 1000.4 rather than having a "wing dish", since I meet all of the other criteria needed to be EA (all VIP boxes, no international, etc).

My wife will just love a second dish on the roof...

Thanks for the heads up.

However..."KHOU"? I don't know which channel that is for certain. Is it a PBS affiliate or something? The channel 3 NBC station is KFDX. The Fox 18 station is KJTL. KAUZ channel 6 is CBS.

I won't sweat it if E* misses KSWO in Lawton, since I can receive that one in HD over the air. But I would sure like to at least get the Fox and CBS stations to see some NFL games in HD.

i dont see KAUZ on that 9/24 uplink

I guess I was editing as you were posting a reply. I assume the same would be true with the 522 (edited post) as with the 625 (erroneous original post).

That is correct. Neither the 522 or 625 can receive MPEG-4 signals. Only the ViP series of receivers (& the 411) can handle MPEG-4. All signals from Easter Arc will be MPEG-4.

I wonder why they haven't put Austin TX on EA yet? TWC and LIN TV are having a retransmission fight and pulled the local NBC affiliate off TWC and the station is advertising going to Dish and get a $50 rebate. You'd think they'd want to use a 1 dish solution to keep their costs down for these new sub installs.

Dishnetwork seems to go in order of market rank and Erie ranks 143 I think.

E* is adding Quincy, IL, DMA #171, HD locals. There are larger DMAs for which E* hasn't even mentioned the possiblility of HD locals. This includes all other DMAs in IL, with the exception of Chicago and St. Louis markets which already have E* HD locals, all of which are larger than the Quincy DMA and have no HD locals. That's the Quad Cities (97), Padukah (78), Peoria (116), Rockford (132), and Champaign (83).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)