New Ebay Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Plano, Illinois, United States
I got this in an email today, I thought it was and Ebay confirmed it was Bullsh!t.

Ion Catalin Florescu sent you this eBay item

I'm the seller of the item that you've recently bided through the eBay system.Item name: NASCAR NEXTEL CUP COCA-COLA 600 2 Tickets 5/27/2007 Item number: (260105104206) I`ve just been contacted by the eBay staff who informed me that due to some reasons the eBay policy automatically proclaims you to be the winner by default. I need your agreement on this so I can contact eBay to confirm you that you're the winner, otherwise I'll relist the item. I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I need an answer asap. You will have the oportunity to purchase the item at your last given price wich is US $100.00 .If you agree my offer please respond this email or contact me at al1nq@aol.com . Thank you!

NASCAR NEXTEL CUP COCA-COLA 600 2 Tickets 5/27/2007
Current bid: US $100.00 (1 bid)

Shipping: US $7.50
End date: Apr-12-07 16:38:45 PDT
Add to watch list | See similar items

I've had a few attempts from some scammer on ebay stating that they did not receive their item but did not recognize their username. Probably trying to get username and password from me when clicking on a link in the email. Do not click on a link in the email. Go directly to your ebay inbox from their site without clicking links to see if that mail is there. If not you know its a scam. If so still be careful.

Yeah I have ran into several of these things, if you notice if you click on the link it takes you somewhere else. It may look like ebay, but look at the address.

I have seen worse than that. I always have stuff up on ebay and a few weeks I got one of those emails asking me a question about my item.

The thing was that usually these emails have nouthing to do with the items your selling, however this one was custom done just for me because it had information relative to the item I was selling. It wasn't the typical lame catch all question

The only reason why I caught it was because I went to respond to it but the noticed the address bar had a spoofed address!

Thats the first thing that I look at anymore. I look at the address bar when I hover my mouse over a link.

Its like my girlfriend was mentioning a few weeks ago someone hacked into her ebay account and listed a whole bunch of stuff under her name.

I tried to tell her how it happened, but she is convinced someone out of the blue decided to hack her account. She understands the mouse over thing, but doesn't know exactly what she is looking for, espcially since alot of the spoof links are getting harder to figure out if your not careful.

For people on this board who know what they are doing, we know all the scams, but for the average joe who uses the internet they have no clue!

Its like my dad, I got into a little arguement with him because I spent all day sunday listing his stuff on ebay for him...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=200097881142&rd=1&rd=1

He says he can list it himself, but what he doesn't understand is how to properly scan the item your going to sell so its nice and clear, then write the appropiate description, upload your own images to your website to host them, and then how to ship it properly and efficently. Everything he sells on ebay, I end up shipping out myself since I ship a few dozen items per day on Dishstore!

I don't know how many times I've sent emails on to spoof@ebay.com and spoof@paypal.com, but its been a bunch. The ones asking questions about items I am selling are always funny, since I buy things on ebay, but have never sold anything on ebay. :D

I got this in an email today, I thought it was and Ebay confirmed it was Bullsh!t.

Ion Catalin Florescu sent you this eBay item

I'm the seller of the item that you've recently bided through the eBay system.Item name: NASCAR NEXTEL CUP COCA-COLA 600 2 Tickets 5/27/2007 Item number: (260105104206) I`ve just been contacted by the eBay staff who informed me that due to some reasons the eBay policy automatically proclaims you to be the winner by default. I need your agreement on this so I can contact eBay to confirm you that you're the winner, otherwise I'll relist the item. I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I need an answer asap. You will have the oportunity to purchase the item at your last given price wich is US $100.00 .If you agree my offer please respond this email or contact me at al1nq@aol.com . Thank you!

NASCAR NEXTEL CUP COCA-COLA 600 2 Tickets 5/27/2007
Current bid: US $100.00 (1 bid)

Shipping: US $7.50
End date: Apr-12-07 16:38:45 PDT
Add to watch list | See similar items

Why are you selling those tickets?

Please post email addresses from the spammers like this on threads like this so that they can get a taste of their own medicine...

Today I got this email asking me about this item I do not have for sale.

Question from bkroad2000
s.gif
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]bkroad2000( 401
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)
[/FONT]
s.gif
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Positive feedback:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]99.5%[/FONT]
s.gif
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Member since:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]Aug-26-03[/FONT]
s.gif
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Location:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]NY, United States[/FONT]
s.gif
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Registered on:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]www.ebay.com[/FONT]
s.gif
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Item: 2003 Suzuki Quadsport Z400 ATV (4653560658)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]This message was sent while the listing was active.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana]bkroad2000 is a potential buyer.[/FONT]
s.gif
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Are you accepting any car trades?

What is the final priece? Please let me know A.S.A.P!!!
[/FONT]

Yesterday I got this one. Neither the one from today or this one are on My Messages on Ebay.

logoEbay_95x35.gif
[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]eBay sent this message to David Boogerd (bogy1972).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
[/FONT] [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]

Dear David Boogerd,

Here's your chance to share your thoughts with us! Because your comments and suggestions are invaluable, we would like to invite you to take a brief online survey about paying for items on eBay.

To participate in this online survey, please click on the link below, or copy the address into your browser:
http://survey.ebay.com/survey/ebay/eby07032?list=1&source=HPtAR9rW5d

We appreciate your input.

Regards,
eBay Research Department
[/FONT]

Sports Jerseys

FYI- Sports Jerseys on E-bay are a HUGE scam too. I was robbed trying to get one recently. Be careful.

Yea, there is a phishing one that I have run into in two sections of the site, first is in the wierd section wich covers really wierd, bizzare, and totally bizzare and the other section is in any area thats considered adult content.

The scammer sets up a link on the auction page that once the page starts to load it redirects your browser to a phishing site, good ole IE7 and its anti phishing program caught it right off the bat.

Another Scam

Got this today, luckily I googled the name Ion Catalin Florescu and found this thread. Following is the message, any comment?

eBay sent this message to ( deanja92).Your user id is included to show this message originated from eBay. [FONT=&quot]Learn more[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
hdrLeft_13x39.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Offer - Buy The Item You Recently Bid On [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
bin_15x54.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is the legitimate Offer for this Item. Never respond to other messages as are not originated from eBay.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
hdrRight_90x39.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
s.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Safe Trading Tips - Buy with Confidence[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
AssuranceIcon_11x14.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Buy Confidently with our Item Protection Programs:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Item Purchase Protection program protects your item purchase against fraud and material misrepresentation. This program is provided by eBay for FREE on all eligible transactions completed on the eBay site. Your item purchase is protected for up to $20,000 or the item purchase price, whichever is lower. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This transaction is insured through eBay Item Purchase Protection.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
s.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
verify1.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Act Now - This Offer Ends Soon [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To take advantage of this opportunity, please act quickly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• Complete your eBay transaction in 4 easy steps:[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=&quot]eBay accepts the transaction and offers purchase protection to the buyer (if the transaction is declined, no further action is required from the buyer nor the seller); [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]The buyer sends payment and the seller receives it. After the payment is received, the seller must notify eBay. Buyer will send the payment details directly to the seller's email address. The seller has three business days to send the tracking number of the shipment to the buyer and to eBay. If no tracking number is provided, a full refund is immediately sent to the buyer; [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Buyer receives the merchandise and has five days to inspect it. If it is complete and as described, the buyer should accept the merchandise. If he refuses the merchandise, the buyer must ship the merchandise back to the seller within three business days. [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]After the inspection period is over, the buyer must contact eBay with the result of the inspection. If the buyer refuses the merchandise, the refund will be sent to the buyer after the tracking number for the return shipment is verified.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• Payment instructions:[/FONT]
westernUnion.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Our seller uses WesternUnion [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Service for the payment due the fact is not able to temporarly use: PayPal,Escrow, Credit Card as a method of payment .[/FONT]
icon_visa.gif
icon_mastercard.gif
icon_discover.gif
icon_amex.gif
icon_echeck.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pay using Money order online via[FONT=&quot] WesternUnion[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Auction Payments[/FONT] in association with [FONT=&quot]eBay Inc[/FONT].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• Payment must be sent by WesternUnion Money Transfer[/FONT]

• Next step to be taken: The buyer must send the payment to the seller
[FONT=&quot]It is recommended to send the payment as soon as possible, because your purchase protection is valid for 20 days only. Sending the payment by any other method of payment will void this transaction and your right to refund. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT]Seller's verifyed payment address :

[FONT=&quot]
hdrIDverify_649x75.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Buy It Now Offer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Seller : [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
s.gif
s.gif
[FONT=&quot]jefomy[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
s.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]( [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]162[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
s.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Name:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ion Catalin Florescu[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Address:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]aleea panselutelor nr 1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]City / State [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rm Valcea [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zip code[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1000[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Country[/FONT][FONT=&quot] :[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Romania[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Buyer verifyed Shipping address :[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
hdrIDverify_649x75.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Buyer : [FONT=&quot]deanja92[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
s.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]( [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]0[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] )
s.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Buy 150.00$ USD [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Name:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sharifuddin Umar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Address:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No 525a, Jln Laksamana 8, Kg. Laksamana[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]City / State [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Batu Caves Selangor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zip code[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]68100[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Country[/FONT][FONT=&quot] :[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Malaysia[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To submit the payment with Western Union Money Transfer, follow this steps:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. Pay for the transfer with cash at a local Western Union agent. Click here to locate the agents in your area http://www.westernunion.com /info/agentInquiryIntl.asp . Go to one of them and send the payment.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Once the payment was sent, reply here on e-mail the following information:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. 10 digit MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Exact sender's name on file with Western Union[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Your street address on file with Western Union [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. City and country where you sent the money from [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. Amount sent[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then wait for the confirmation the payment was received. Within 3 business days, you will receive the tracking number for your merchandise.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Don't let this item get away![/FONT]

bin_button.gif

iconAssurance_16x16.gif
eBay Purchase Protection
Coverage up to $5,000.00
iconAssurance_16x16.gif
Purchase protection and refund:
Currently, this seller has a US$ 5,000.00 deposit in an eBay managed purchase protection account.Transactions with this eBay seller are covered by purchase protection against fraud and description errors. For your safety, this account was locked today, for 30 days time. The seller is unable to withdraw any money from it, within this period.
iconAssurance_16x16.gif
CONDITIONS TO BE MEET BEFORE YOU MAY ASK FOR A REFUND

• Paying for an item and never receiving it.
  • Sending a deposit for an item and never receiving it (restrictions apply to non-refundable deposits.)
  • Paying for and receiving an item of a type, make, or model that is different than what was described in the seller's listing.
  • If your merchandise arrives in a much longer period than the one you agreed on (more than15 days from the payment clearance day);
    For cases 2) and 3) you have to send back the merchandise to the seller prior to ask for your refund. If you did not pay the seller by the
    required payment method, your refund request would be declined
Your privacy is important to us
eBay does not rent or sell your personal information to third parties without your consent. To learn more, read our privacy policy.

Your address will be used for shipping your purchase or receiving payment from buyers.
logoTRUSTe_71x100.gif

s.gif

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for using eBay[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.ebay.com/[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This email appears in the language of the eBay site where you are registered.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
s.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
imgMarketplace_225x24.gif
[/FONT]

About eBay | Announcements | Security Center | Buyer Service & Protection | Policies | Site Map | Help
x.gif

imgReFootLeft_10x55.gif

x.gif

[FONT=&quot]Copyright © 1995-2007 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and [/FONT]

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.484 / Virus Database: 269.12.1/963 - Release Date: 20/08/2007 17:44

Please post email addresses from the spammers like this on threads like this so that they can get a taste of their own medicine...
Won't do any good, the emails are fake, you'd just be mailbombing innocent bystanders. The scammer is counting on people being stupid enough to click the spoofed link.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)