New England Dish customers/distant networks

carolynjohnson

Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Hi - I'm a reporter from The Boston Globe working on a story to gauge the local impact of the loss of distant networks on New England customers. I want to know if you live in New England and have lost your Fox, ABC, NBC, etc....or switched to DirecTV to avoid that, or whether this hasn't affected service at all. Please email me at bostonglobe@satelliteguys.us
Thanks! Carolyn Johnson

Folks this is LEGIT, we setup Carolyn up with a SatelliteGuys email address so she didn't need to post her real address and get flooded with spam. :)

Thanks to everone who can help her out.

sounds like the people from Maine, the people in the NH/VT "boonies" or the people who just got WMUR as a sig. Viewed channel (and now lost it) would be the prime canidates

I feel so bad for those people who lost WMUR. That is a situation that needs to be addressed. People in NH can't watch NH stations but people in Southern Massachusetts can... Somethings wrong with that.

There's definately alot wrong with the whole local station setup. Its really a forced, regulated, legally binding monopoly. I cant believe we are forced to get CBS programming from local affiliates. I understand the FCC wanting to protect the locals but nobody ever seems to care about customer choice. If my local stinks or cant get by normal means, it should be my choice to obtain CBS programming. Let the free market reign.

There's definately alot wrong with the whole local station setup. Its really a forced, regulated, legally binding monopoly. I cant believe we are forced to get CBS programming from local affiliates. I understand the FCC wanting to protect the locals but nobody ever seems to care about customer choice. If my local stinks or cant get by normal means, it should be my choice to obtain CBS programming. Let the free market reign.

I can't believe my local CBS affiliate won't give me a waiver and I don't want to get locals through DirecTV because then I'll lose my west coast feed (and additional NFL game options), so I'm forced to watch the Miami Superbowl like they were playing in a blizzard or just give up and not bother watching CBS any more at all.

I feel so bad for those people who lost WMUR. That is a situation that needs to be addressed. People in NH can't watch NH stations but people in Southern Massachusetts can... Somethings wrong with that.

You can say that again. I gotta share my WMUR story:

My in-laws live have lived in NH all their life. They're both retired and WMUR has been "their" channel for like forever. About 5 years ago they retired and moved nearer us (still in NH but just across the river from us in VT). They had to change cable companies.

Their locals on cable have never looked very good and whenever they visited us, they'd see how much better the same (we're in the same DMA)channels look on satellite. The eventually switched to Dish.

Trouble is, NH is divided among 3 DMAs (ME, VT & MA) and their location in central NH is in the Burlington, VT DMA. WMUR is the only station in all of NH but Dish bundles it with the Boston Locals.

Anyway, after their commitment was up, they can't stand not getting WMUR anymore, so they switch back to cable. NH's ONLY station and many (most) residents couldn't even get it. How stupid is that?

Well apparently congress was embarassed enough to put special wording in the SV legislation so NH residents could have WMUR added to their package as SV regardless of their DMA. However, apparently they left it as "optional" for the satellite provider, so Dish screwed around and only just recently started including it in the other NH DMAs.

Soooooooo, my in-laws switched back to Dish a month or so ago. I haven't heard from them today yet but I'm sure they're going to be livid when they find out WMUR is gone - again - and it's Dish's fault. My mother-in-law may personally go to Colorado and beat the sh*t out of Chuck with a rubber hose.

These policies are archaic and need to catch up with the global economy. Next these policy makers and judges will take away our right from buying merchandise online because it infringes on the local Wal-Mart’s market share.

Furthermore, does this not infringe on free speech? Would if I don't want to listen to the local station's news and local programming? Would if I want to listen to it from a station somewhere else that reflects more of my interests and concerns?

WMUR was not provided as SV but under a different "Sununu-Gregg" provision. If it had been SV, it would not have been limited to NH subscribers.

17 USC 119(a)(1)..............Superstations
17 USC 119(a)(2)..............Network Stations ("DNS")
17 USC 119(a)(2)(C)(i)......WMUR
17 USC 119(a)(2)(C)(ii)......certain Vermont areas
17 USC 119(a)(2)(C)(iii).....certain Oregon areas
17 USC 119(a)(2)(C)(iv).....Jackson, MS stations to border counties
17 USC 119(a)(3)(A)..........Significantly Viewed

sounds like the people from Maine, the people in the NH/VT "boonies" or the people who just got WMUR as a sig. Viewed channel (and now lost it) would be the prime canidates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)