New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
At the very elast, I have to credit them with the fact that it was this rumor (let's call it that for the time being) that encouraged me to install my first motorized system. I had a SuperDish parked at the former AMC-4 (basically for RTPi) and the idea freedbs put out there made me install a 90cm motorized system. Whatever happens, I'm ready!

Scott - Where exactly is "their" forum? I must have missed it. :D

"First I want to give thanks to Satellite Guys for hosting these forums."

Much like FreeDBS I am wondering if this Manhattan receiver is a pipe dream or for real. And while my gut says there is something strange here, I also trust Mike Kohl and he seems to believe that this receiver is the next big thing. I know Mike would not throw away the trust he has earned over the past 20 years if he didn't think the receiver was real and was really it.

I listened to a replay of Sattalk and found it strange that Jeff couldn't answer a lot of questions about the receiver without Mike answering it for him.

The big test will be getting the receiver in the hands of a few SatelliteGuys such as Iceberg, Anole and AcWxWeather to put it through its paces and see if it lives up to it's hype.

I got to admit I would be VERY excited if it did, but with so many promises over the past few years of the ultimate receiver you can understand why I am cautiously optimistic about such a receiver. :)

...The big test will be getting the receiver in the hands of a few SatelliteGuys such as Iceberg, Anole and AcWxWeather to put it through its paces and see if it lives up to it's hype.

I got to admit I would be VERY excited if it did, but with so many promises over the past few years of the ultimate receiver you can understand why I am cautiously optimistic about such a receiver. :)

Well spoken. The good news is we'll know very soon.

What Mike was testing sound very much like the same reference platform as the SatHawk/Solomend/Openbox. There have been other boxes out there with the same basic platform with maybe some added hardware and improved software, so here's hoping they can make their receiver more capable than the SSO.

What Mike was testing sound very much like the same reference platform as the SatHawk/Solomend/Openbox. There have been other boxes out there with the same basic platform with maybe some added hardware and improved software, so here's hoping they can make their receiver more capable than the SSO.

Dang!!! I just got an Openbox! :eek:

Tested several receivers using the Ali 3602 chipset, but unfortunately 4:2:2 is not natively supported by the chipset. The hardware does good high bandwidth recordings.....

I listened to a replay of Sattalk and found it strange that Jeff couldn't answer a lot of questions about the receiver without Mike answering it for him.

Jeff is probably just a suit (administrator/Manhattan owner) so he's unable to answer a lot of the more technical questions posed to him and thus Mike has to step in with the response.

From the interview, I think I remember Jeff saying there is an engineer in Arizona. He seems to have an overseas manufacturer and I bet Mike Kohl is the guy who is the conduit to the FTA hobbyist.

I am under the impression Mke tells Jeff what kinds of signal formats/features would be critical in a FTA receiver for North American use and also relays info about some of the other features that would be nice to have. Jeff consults with the engineer about hardware and the software to work with that hardware, crunches the numbers on what the initial price point of the reciever should be and how much the more non-critical features would add to the receiver, and then once things are finalized on hardware/receiver capability, the overseas manufacturer makes it. Jeff imports the final product and sells it through a few select retail channels.

Has anyone looked at there list of sponsers lately on the freedbs site? There is one site listed on there that is a pirate site if they are a legit company they need to have a hard look at there sponsers.

I agree. I have a feeling that this whole thing wont get off the ground no matter how many "updates" they post.

*If* they ever make it to air, I'll watch their channels. Right now I certainly haven't gone out and bought any additional FTA gear based on their 'updates'. If their service never launches, then my life really won't have changed any.

and closed

Since its been a year and literally we are where we started no sense in keeping it open

If there is something major happening we'll open a new thread but guys lets not open a new thread "just because" :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts