New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
More info has been added to the freedbs website (they seem to change the site 2 or 3 times a day). They have added a news section where they comment on the numerous emails they have received(mostly from us I am sure) and say that they will not name the satellite or transponder info at this time. They also now name a business manager named Tony Herron and most interesting is the statement that they are now applying for non-profit status. This would seem to shoot down the idea that this may be some form of penny stock scheme. Any thoughts on these new changes?

Shadyone

Looks like they did a update and a "News release".

Canadian Search:
FreeDBS is in search of a Canadian station that would like to broadcast within this network, If you have a favorite Canadian station, that may be willing to upstream with this network please ask them to contact our program manager Leon Napier

Non-Profit:
FreeDBS will be applying for non-profit status. "

Non profit status? Any idea why? Positives, negatives?

It would be great if they could carry a Canadian Station, maybe CBC Newsworld, Pulse 24 or some lessor known entity...? I don't see how they would be able to carry CTV with American programs. That is of course...IF this network gets off the ground...and...as they say.....stay tuned....

They state on their website that the service (if legit) will require a minimum of a 22 inch dish. Unless they are using very powerful tps, won't this require using DSS instead of FSS?

That depends on how close you are to the center of the coverage area, and what the weather is like. Not to mention which FSS satellite they put it on. You can get quite a few linear transponders on an 18" dish, just not always the ones you want.

In the past I had used a 24" dish with linear LNBF for HITS. Worked great. 24" dish in Canada, so a 22" in the US should be fine on the stronger satellites.

Why would the site say that older Dish Network receivers would be able to receive these FTA channels? Something is not right here.

It wouldn't be impossible to supply a Dish compatible network table/channel map, using Dish compatible transponders.

At one time you could connect a Dish receiver to a Ku dish aimed at T5 and get a few channels.

To use them for pay channels would require cooperation with Echostar and Nagrastar though.

Good news

This initiative sounds wonderful ! Here's wishing Leon Napier and Tony Herron much success with their line-up. Tv oldies would be a nice addition for the nostalgic. A couple of radio/news/music stations wouldn't be a bad idea. Russia Today and Al Jazeera English are good news sources, if interested. Many, many, many Francophones and students of French in the US and Canada would be elated to see a French-language Canadian station on Ku -- even if that doesn't quite fit the "all English" description. And let's not forget Deutsche Welle. Arts channel (music, dance, theater, painting, literature, etc.).

A few minutes ago an idea popped into my head. An audio book channel. Has anyone ever heard of such??? A single audio book could provide an entire season of episodes, and it could be broadcast as a radio channel which would be cheaper than video.

If Brian was behind it, I might have a little faith. ;)
Otherwise, good luck. :D

Things are a happenin', but not part of this thread! :D

We wish all the best to this ambitious venture! Who knows, maybe someone from their camp will contact us for our automatic updating receiver with card and cardless subscription support. :up Might another opportunity for Satellite AV to distribute packages and provide technical support for another broadcaster?

Satellite Guys members might consider emailing and praise them for what they are attempting. Let them know how you are anticipating their programming launch and that you support their venture. We don't need to be privy to their business plans, launch dates, link budgets or redirect their vision. Anyone undertaking this endeavor will need all the positive comments and support that we can give! It is a win for the FTA viewing community when even a single open channel is launched on any satellite!

Exciting if it happens!

A twenty channel mux could be quite inexpensive if on an empty bird with the right link budget terms. $2k per meg is available on KU birds serving North America, but probably not feasible with a 22" dish with any amount of signal reliability!

Does this mean that all of those card readers for Coolsat receivers that used to be on Ebay not too long ago, and nobody wanted, now might have a purpose in North America??? :confused:

Time for some dumpster divin' !!!... :D

Minor changed noticed at the freedbs website. The link for Diamond Billiards now linked up to Benjamin David Studios, whereas the other day is was linked to Diamond Billiard Products.

A few minutes ago an idea popped into my head. An audio book channel. Has anyone ever heard of such??? A single audio book could provide an entire season of episodes, and it could be broadcast as a radio channel which would be cheaper than video.

Of course, rights would have to be cleared for copyrighted works, and they might want paid.

In Canada, there is an audio service called VoicePrint, which basically reads articles from national newspapers for the blind, and is included in the most basic pay TV packages. On Shaw Direct satellite, it's channel is in with the audio services, which are just channel numbers. It used to (and might still) be on cable as an FM channel.

Does this mean that all of those card readers for Coolsat receivers that used to be on Ebay not too long ago, and nobody wanted, now might have a purpose in North America??? :confused:

Time for some dumpster divin' !!!... :D

It really depends if the content owners would trust those receivers, especially with them having a known history as a pirate system.

The least they would do is allow a CI slot CAM, if not require a receiver with embedded security.

Just noticed this update on the freedbs.org page.

Thanks for Support:
We wish to thank the many forums and individuals for your support. Special thanks to:
Satelliteguys.us

Although not likely, it would be fantastic if they could get space on a bird at 97W or 101W, or near enough to those slots to enable a one-dish system that would pick up the Glorystar channels AND the Freedbs selections.

I think I'll e-mail the Freedbs folks and suggest a classic cartoon channel (should one of their current channel ideas fail to materialize). It should be fairly inexpensive to
get programming for that, I would think.

Although not likely, it would be fantastic if they could get space on a bird at 97W or 101W, or near enough to those slots to enable a one-dish system that would pick up the Glorystar channels AND the Freedbs selections.

I think I'll e-mail the Freedbs folks and suggest a classic cartoon channel (should one of their current channel ideas fail to materialize). It should be fairly inexpensive to
get programming for that, I would think.

I LOVE the classic cartoon channel idea! Cartoon Network was good at first, but then went to new programming. Then they added Boomerang which was also good, but it too is now no longer the same.

Well just in case I have emailed them and suggested some current European/ Mid East, English speaking FTA broadcasters who might like an American audience.
There are certainly loads of spare transponders available these days, Galaxy 19 @97w springs to mind.

It doesn't have to be on G19 if they launch 20 channels. It could be any satellite and people will go there. If it was a lonely channel or two, the story would be different.

I wish them luck and Godspeed on their endeavor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)