New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would love to see this happen as much as the next guy. It just seems to good to be true. I think even if it did some how make it the larger corps will find a way to knock it down.

I also feel the same I do hope very much they make it but with the kind of lined up they appear to be putting together the DN, DTV, etc will at least buy them out or some how interfere with the plans. As I said it is a great think and I hope it happens.

Maybe its not as hard to believe that it will get launched as it will be to believe that it will actually be able to remain on the satellites if it can financially make it. They are setting themselves apart by offering DIFFERENT content that the other providers do not offer so this may attract people even more to this service even in some cases as an addition to the service that they have to supplement it.

So how many FTA people do you think are out there?
Both of my brothers had BUDs, now one has Dish the other Directv, anyway I would bet that neither one of them even know about DVB and FTA, so I am not so sure that the big boys even care that this is going on, until the numbers get large enough, and by them maybe these guys will be big enough that the others cant influence them, personily I don't know who these guys are, or what money is behind them, perhaps they can't be bought!!!

I just can't wait until it launches, my biggest concern is will I have to buy a new box? because I think you will need to use a card to get the PPV stuff, I guess I should check to see if mines set up that way.
Terry

They have that right, becasue they bought exclusive rights fornetwork and syndicated programming.

I don't remember getting my check and I am the guy who owns the airwaves along with every one else in the US, isn't it time we took them back, just one more thing our good ol government has done for us, taken what is ours, split it up, sold it to the big boys and made it impossible for some of us to afford and enjoy, I should be able to watch programming from where ever I want, and it shouldn't cost me an arm and a leg to get it!!
Terry

The FCC isn't directly responsible for the network exclusivity situation, that is something that the networks, syndicators, and affiliates worked up. The FCC does endorse it though with the rules about what satellite can cable providers can provide in a market.

When I subed to the distant networks a few months ago I told them that I should be grandfathered in, they told me it didn't matter any more and any one could sub to any networks, so I wonder if/when they changed the rules/law.
Terry

Nearly all Google search results show OBN still broadcasting OTA. I had to dig deep to find out what happened to OBN.

Jun 2006 - Omni Broadcasting ceases over-the-air broadcasting to restructure its operations.

They now broadcast over the Internet on TVU Networks.

------------------------------------------------
Some people are so smart that they can sit on an ice cream cone and tell you what flavor it is.

A Canadian Channel?

Earlier on in this thread interest was expressed in Canadian content for a possible Canadian channel
Canada has a few public broadcasters and the National Film Board which contains thousands of films ranging from short clips to hour long features many of which can be watch online, many of these films were taxpayer funded and include some artistic efforts which are best forgotten however the is a lot of good stuff, as far as I know the film board holds the rights and may be interesting in promoting the material and Canadian culture especially if some money was available to help in their work.

I'm not sure how many public broadcasters there are but know of the TV Ontario , Saskatchewan Communications Network and the British Columbia Knowledge Network
The CBC also makes some of its newscasts and other shows available online

Like most PBS stations in the America they purchase a lot of their material so do not own national broadcast rights so unfortunately its unlikely they could be broadcast directly but all of them do produce some of their own material
Maybe it would be possible to put together one channel drawing material from all these sources?
All these bodies have one thing in common and that is a shortage of money if some way could be worked out to support them they may be interested.

It would be possible to start a channel that buys Canandian made programming from those channels. The largest issue likely buying the content, which would need funded somehow. FWIW, some of those channels are in a free mode on Shaw Direct, but at least not TVO. Access, one of the free ones, carries a lot of US programming and is privately owned.

Earlier on in this thread interest was expressed in Canadian content for a possible Canadian channel
Canada has a few public broadcasters and the National Film Board which contains thousands of films ranging from short clips to hour long features many of which can be watch online, many of these films were taxpayer funded and include some artistic efforts which are best forgotten however the is a lot of good stuff, as far as I know the film board holds the rights and may be interesting in promoting the material and Canadian culture especially if some money was available to help in their work.

I'm not sure how many public broadcasters there are but know of the TV Ontario , Saskatchewan Communications Network and the British Columbia Knowledge Network
The CBC also makes some of its newscasts and other shows available online

Like most PBS stations in the America they purchase a lot of their material so do not own national broadcast rights so unfortunately its unlikely they could be broadcast directly but all of them do produce some of their own material
Maybe it would be possible to put together one channel drawing material from all these sources?
All these bodies have one thing in common and that is a shortage of money if some way could be worked out to support them they may be interested.

I see the same problem with the channel supposedly from México, as most of the channels in here are property of 3 major companies: Televisa, TV-Azteca and MVS (with a 4th closing the gap with the other 3: Multimedios Televisión), and all of those sell their shows to other countries, like the USA (to Univisión, Telefutura, Telemundo, Azteca América) so i guess it would be difficult to have something from them, and the government channels mostly buy their programming from National Geographic, Discovery, BBC, and all sort of things, and their original content almost always only depict the way of life in central México just focusing in the "azteca civilization" and disregarding the older northern etnias that to this day still exist and generated that civilization, a way of life very different from the rest of México.

Maybe they could convince Carlos Vasallo from Vasallovisión to provide them with content since he has produced a ton of movies and shows for México, but mostly eroti-comedy and now owns channels in the US.

Cheers

M.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)