New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Interesting News Release considering that no one with FreeDBS has followed up on our initial introductory Januuary 20th, 2010 email....... Maybe someone at FreeDBS would like to discuss the Glorystar inclusion? Many of the Glorystar channels are under distribution contract for North American FSS...... 866-597-0728 ..... Anyone????? :D

Glorystar channels? I still don't understand why or how they would be called Glorystar channels, do you own any of these FTA channels besides the GS promotional channel? Please explain

McGuyver said:
Glorystar channels? I still don't understand why or how they would be called Glorystar channels, do you own any of these FTA channels besides the GS promotional channel? Please explain

The majority of the channels in the Glorystar channel line-up are under exclusive partnership agreements between the broadcaster and Glorystar for FSS equipment distribution and viewer technical support in North America.

In other words, you have to buy their particular receiver in order to receive the Glorystar channels FTA. That is one way they are able to make some money to help the service. The receivers, from what I understand, are able to be "authorized" with some sort of key to receive those stations.

When you think about it, the service is free and it is worth paying the money for the FTA receiver. I am thinking that Glorystar would be MORE than happy to work with FreeDBS since it means more money in equipment sales and more people watching the Glorystar service. They both could help each other attract more viewers to their service. It is a win win if they can establish a deal.

If I understand it correctly, (correct me if im wrong)..Most, if not all the Channels on Glorystar can be received on any FTA receiver..Just if you buy the Glorystar (Geosat Series) receivers the software actually gives you a dedicated program guide and organizes the channels in such a way that it is easy to navigate..All that said, If Glorystar and FreeDBS come together, it has to be a good thing..

Look at "The List" for Glorystar channels. Anyone can receive them on whatever receiver. They are just packaged together as TimLones said.

Hopefully by partnering w/ FreeDBS it will help them get off the ground!

In other words, you have to buy their particular receiver in order to receive the Glorystar channels FTA. That is one way they are able to make some money to help the service. The receivers, from what I understand, are able to be "authorized" with some sort of key to receive those stations. .

You don't need the Glorystar receiver to get the Glorystar channels and there is no "key" needed to watch them. Any FTA receiver pointed at 97W will get them. The Glorystar Receiver is nice because it updates the channels via OTA every week so you don't have to worry about always rescanning and this is a great help to the elderly who barely know how to work the remote.

FreeDBS.org has replaced yesterdays update with this,

"News Release: 5/18/2010

We had asked our Web Editor to see what it would take to put up Glorystar channels on our web site. He thought we wanted them put up now., so he posted the links. We had to pull them because we did not have Glorystars permission. We ask you to forgive us for this mistake."

You don't need the Glorystar receiver to get the Glorystar channels and there is no "key" needed to watch them. Any FTA receiver pointed at 97W will get them. The Glorystar Receiver is nice because it updates the channels via OTA every week so you don't have to worry about always rescanning and this is a great help to the elderly who barely know how to work the remote.

EXACTLY!

very well put Gary. I get the "glorystar" channels on my Coolsat just fine :)
The Geosat receiver (that Glorystar sells) has an advanced/hobbyist option to get more than just those channels :)

Someone had given me false information then a while back. I was told that a particular receiver was required to receive the channels. I wondered why since it was FTA. I knew the channels were not encrypted. This is good news for me to hear which will be even more encouraging for me to get a FTA receiver if I can get one with blind scan cheap enough.

I was told that a particular receiver was required to receive the channels. I wondered why since it was FTA.

The Geosat receivers are the only ones recommended for the "non-technical" folks who want just the Glorystar stuff since it automatically loads the channels in the receiver so you dont have to scan them in.

This whole Freedbs stuff is a venture capitalism adventure. That is why they are putting everything together first so they can sell the idea to someone with the money to invest. If they had the money to do this thing, they would have started small and grow. i.e start with say 4 channels and add channels say every month or every week.

So if they have a good business case, someone with the money will invest. ( like me -)

Even in a non-profit, the president gets an income and the employees still need to be paid. People have to earn a living.

There is a new update from their website.............

hxxp://www.freedbs.org/

News Release: 6/04/2010

We have updated the Cowboy TV and World War channels to make the films selectable by the user. We will change the selections periodically.
Our Technical team has been working with a receiver manufacture to make available to the user an MPEG-4 receiver with card slot to allow purchasing additional channels as an ala-cart service. Freedbs plans to own twelve of the free-to-air channels that will be broadcast under this service.

sweet, I thought this would be just more Jesus stuff, but it sounds like other stuff too?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)