Trip

RabbitEars Webmaster
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Jun 21, 2008
Alexandria, VA, US
Good morning, all:

You may remember my previous satellite setup at my parents' house, before I took my job in Tennessee. I eventually took it down, because it wasn't a very good setup. Too close to the ground, didn't quite track the arc right, and the dish was 30", much too small. Plus I am not living there any more, so there was little urgency to set anything back up.

Of course, that was before I spent several days there for Thanksgiving. I decided not only to put up a new setup, but also to configure it so my father could make use of it. So far, I think he finds it useful.

Back in February, I attended the National Religious Broadcasters' (NRB) convention in Nashville. As a result, I met our own SatelliteAV and he was so kind as to give me the FTA dish he had on display there at the end of the show, rather than have to ship it back to his facility. I decided to use this dish on my new setup.

I mixed up 100 lbs of concrete in a big storage container, and put a pole in it. All those parts came from Lowes. Let it dry overnight, took it to the spot in the morning. Used shims to level it, then attempted to attach the motor and dish, only to find the hole through the center of the pole clamp section of the dish was not aligned properly. My father helped me drill it out so it properly aligned, and then I got really lucky and found the arc within 15 minutes. So now it tracks all the way from 83W to 125W, though I'm not certain how much of that will be killed by leaves in the spring. (Previous setup would see 91W to 125W, though 91W and 125W were at least partially tree blocked based on signal strengths.)

My father is currently using the Manhattan that I got from Mr. Kohl at NRB, but I'm anxious to try the MicroHD and give my father something a little smaller and more out of the way. It may be a Christmas present for him; I'm still deciding on that part.

Photos are attached below.

2012-11-25_08-31-56_979.jpg2012-11-25_08-32-10_77.jpg2012-11-25_08-32-19_953.jpg2012-11-25_08-32-04_951.jpg2012-11-25_08-32-31_637.jpg2012-11-25_08-32-43_119.jpg2012-11-25_08-32-55_651.jpg2012-11-25_08-33-02_2.jpg2012-11-25_08-33-51_656.jpg2012-11-25_08-33-40_333.jpg2012-11-25_08-33-45_887.jpg

Thank you so much, SatelliteAV!

- Trip

Thanks for sharing. I have never owned a Manhattan, but the microHD has been the best little FTA box I've ever had.

The Manhatten was probably the best box on the market until the microHD came out. Both boxes had some bumps in the road when the initial firmware came out, but both matured into excellent boxes very quickly thanks to both companies listening to the feedback of their customers.

I am just wondering now what the next "must have" box will be.

For me I hope it has some easy to use internet functionality.

Great job Trip! Thanks for the install story and photos.

Just a few suggestions: I would recommend placing pavers under the bucket to help prevent the bucket from settling and throwing the pole out of plumb.

Looks a little light in the ballast, maybe your dad could dump one or two bags of cement premix on top of the existing cement and let Mother Nature do the rest... :D

I thought that I had provided the second post clamp with the centered hole. Sorry, if I overlooked it during the hectic booth tear down! Glad to see the "booth babe" dish end up at a good home!

Nicely done! I think he'd love the microHD. It takes up almost no space at all and does a great job blind scanning the variety of transmissions out there :)

Nice looking dish! I bet your dad will eventually dig out a hole and plant that thing permanently, fta is best! Great gift from SatAV.

I have a 5 gallon bucket with a similar pole in it.
Think it's 3/4 full of cement.
Originally built for 20" DBS dish use, it was perfect.
Later, it it got equipped with a similar 36" dish, but no motor.

In some rare wind storms, it blew over with the 36.
Your tub may have a larger, more stable base.
My thought was to cut the pole and lower the dish a couple of feet.

Somewhere around here I have a big bag of sand, and some sort of sliced-rock slab (22" square?) to put down as a base.
Then I noticed the bucket had little feet which probably needed grinding off.
And that's when I abandoned the project.

Thanks for renewing my interest.
I'll take a look at those tubs, now. ;)
And let us know how yours works out in the wind.

Hi, Tripinva,
On your photographs # 8 and 9, there is a flat cable link - I guess it allowed you to avoid drilling through window frame. Did you make it yourself, or, is it possible to buy? I have never seen such a link before. Cheers, polgyver

Great job Trip! Thanks for the install story and photos.

You're most welcome; I'm sorry it took me so long to install it and post accordingly. :)

Just a few suggestions: I would recommend placing pavers under the bucket to help prevent the bucket from settling and throwing the pole out of plumb.

I've considered it, but I may be moving the dish again at some point. I'm definitely looking through trees on 125W which is a problem. I have to figure out if I want to just move it a short distance and risk losing more stuff around 91W, or try to find another home for it entirely. Or I might just leave it alone until spring and see just how bad it is.

Looks a little light in the ballast, maybe your dad could dump one or two bags of cement premix on top of the existing cement and let Mother Nature do the rest... :D

It's already got two bags of concrete in it! 100 lbs worth, in a large bucket. It doesn't want to move as best I can tell.

I thought that I had provided the second post clamp with the centered hole. Sorry, if I overlooked it during the hectic booth tear down! Glad to see the "booth babe" dish end up at a good home!

No worries, it was easy enough to drill out. Thanks again for the dish!

And let us know how yours works out in the wind.

Had some of those extremely gusty days the past two days. I drove back to VA from TN on the 21st and the wind kept trying to blow me off the road! Except for the trees moving around in the dish's line of sight and screwing with the signal, I have had no issues with it tipping over or anything like that. This evening I was seeing RTV on 83W and OETA on 125W, albeit with breakups as the wind blew. Spot-checked 97W and it looked perfectly stable.

Hi, Tripinva,
On your photographs # 8 and 9, there is a flat cable link - I guess it allowed you to avoid drilling through window frame. Did you make it yourself, or, is it possible to buy? I have never seen such a link before. Cheers, polgyver

I bought two or three of them a few years ago at a hamfest. One of them is no good anymore, and I really need to either buy some more to have spares on-hand or I need to buy better quality ones, which I know are out there.

- Trip

Quality unknown:

Eagle Aspen FC-300LX Slimline Flexible 8 Inch Flat RG6 Coax Window Cable (FC-300LX)

Our Price: $2.49
solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=wrfc200&d=eagle-aspen-fc-300lx-slimline-flexible-8-inch-flat-rg6-coax-window-cable-%28fc-300lx%29
------
sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/SFC10-Sadoun_Flat_RG6_Coaxial_Cable.htm

S-FC10 Sadoun Flat RG6 Coaxial Cable: $3.00 EA

Be careful using those flat cable pieces. There are many reports I remember reading of apartment dwellers using them for Dish or Direct, and them shorting out and causing full-blown FIRES.

Be careful using those flat cable pieces. There are many reports I remember reading of apartment dwellers using them for Dish or Direct, and them shorting out and causing full-blown FIRES.
That is interesting, given the fact that receivers can provide maximum 500 mA to the LNB, and the voltage is supposed to drop to 0 when shorted - so, what was the source of heat to initiate fire?

Agreed! Must have been a defective set top box. No short on the LNB IN port should ever cause a fire.

Have installed and sold these for many years without incident.

Last edited:
Agreed! Must have been a defective set top box. No short on the LNB IN port should ever cause a fire.

Have I stalled and sold these for many years without incident.
Thanks for support. BTW, how were those short cables built? was there in the centre a flat strap of foil, clad with insulator, and surrounded with a mesh of outer shielding conductor? Or, was it made with two separate wires from symmetrical TV cable (used mostly in Europe)? The first design would introduce sort of parasitic capacitor to the cable, and the second - would make it vulnerable to RFI (but, probably, not very harmful). Cheers, polgyver

I believe I've seen those flat cables at Radio Shack, if you have to get one right NOW. ;)

As for current available, I know some DishNet LNBFs and switches use quite a bit.
Might be wrong, but I think they need to deliver more than 500ma.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)