New GEOSATpro microHD Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
We could add any of the dozens of LO frequencies that have been used in the past 20+ years, but if they aren't used, why add them?

Easy to add KA high band if there are FTA services.

Has anyone verified FTA services on KA band? If so, what modulation and format?

I posted currently used LNBF's data.

Not yet; so far only DTV using the Ka band now, but FCC has more applications for it. Modulation is vary: DVB-S2 with QPSK and 8PSK.

Not many sat tuner chips support IF 250-750 MHz range (I know only Broadcom has it).

Did Brian post any screenshots of the menus and graphics yet? This will be the deciding factor for me purchasing this new receiver or not.

This afternoon I took advantage of this warm beautiful day here in Pittsburgh, PA and readjusted my 4' motorized dish in order to receive LPB now on SES2 using an old Coolsat 4000 receiver. While doing so I remembered just how good the graphics are on the older Coolsat receivers. I LOVE having a signal strength bar displayed while performing a blind scan. It allows me to easily see if signals are nearby even if the dish isn't properly adjusted on the selected satellite. Having the large circle signal strength diplay when changing channels was also very nice.

The menus will probably be based on the current GeosatPro line (which is very well thought out)

Brina posted earlier about the signal meter which on the Geosat200 I have rocks. Nice and BIG!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...crohd-receiver-coming-soon-4.html#post2691262

attachment.php

Initially the GUI is based on the standard left column ALI default with unique function and features. The S9 and Manhattan use the base ALI design. Within 6 months we are planning a GUI redesign with custom skin(s).

At this point, the smarts and beauty within are more important than winning a MIss STB Contest. Don't get me wrong. The GUI is very functionable and we have reworked the layout, text and functions, but I have never been a fan of the default graphics and design.

At this point, the smarts and beauty within are more important than winning a MIss STB Contest. Don't get me wrong. The GUI is very functionable and we have reworked the layout, text and functions, but I have never been a fan of the default graphics and design.

Brian, you just don't KNOW how nice that is to hear! Get the FUNCTION working first and THEN work on the polish. Outstanding. I don't even need another box, but I just might be in line. :cool:

We could add any of the dozens of LO frequencies that have been used in the past 20+ years, but if they aren't used, why add them?

the fss stacked lnb is fairly common, i use one in my setup and there are a few others here that do as well.
its great for situations where you have to locate a dish a long ways away from your setup if you use multiple receivers because you just have to run 1 wire and you can get vertical and horizontal polarities on it at the same time.
i hope you can implement this setting.

and for the settings,

the voltage is always 18v for vertical and horizontal, and....

Okay, subject to confirmation, let's see if I got this right.

In a normal LNB, the LO is 10750.
Being lower than the incoming signal, this is called low-side injection.
The incoming range is 11700 - 12200, MINUS the LO Of 10750 equal 950 - 1450mhz.
These are the vertical transponders in a stacked LNB.

rcvFreq....LO.......receiver tunes
11700 - 10750 = _950
12200 - 10750 = 1450

But, having the two local oscillators too close in frequency, leads to all sorts of bad things.
So, having the second oscillator set for high-side injection, you'd get this:
The incoming range is 11700 - 12200, MINUS the LO Of 13850 equal 2150 - 1650mhz.

rcvFreq....LO.......receiver tunes
11700 - 13850 = -2150
12200 - 13850 = -1650
This is where the horizontal transponders appear on your cable between LNB and receiver.

Ignore the negative sign on the frequency. It's meaningless.

So, the Vertical transponders occupy the range 950-1450 on your cable, and Horizontal is located in the 1650-2150mhz range, and backwards.
Now, any simple splitter can feed multiple receivers, and each receiver can select vertical or horizontal, without interfering with any other receiver.

Last edited:
The stacked 10750/13850 is no problem and will be implemented. Thank you for the parameters!

if i select standard LNB, is the 10750.13850 option still available?
Reason i ask is i have a couple of the FSS lnbs on the V side of some of my switches, while i have c-band lnbs on the H side of the same switch. On my coolsat, i punch in 13850, scan v, get it all, so i stuff it on the v side.

and this is an enormous thread, my apologies if this has already been answered.

I do realize what i just asked is kind of an unneeded bell or whistle.
Thanks

The stacked 10750/13850 is no problem and will be implemented. Thank you for the parameters!

Thanks Brian! These LNBs are always around for the taking, since Dish has basically stopped using them. They use a C-120 flange, which means they're perfect for many commercial dish salvage operations. The stacked operation also allows for a reduction in the number of cables, which never hurts. Glad to see that using an Eagle Aspen P870 will be easier than ever on the microHD! :)

kodaz said:
if i select standard LNB, is the 10750.13850 option still available?
A Standard type LNB is a single LO. An Universal type LNB is a dual LO with a voltage controlled polarity and a 22KHz switch at a defined frequency switch point. A Stacked type LNB is a dual LO with fixed voltage and polarity defined frequency range.

If the stacked LNB type is selected, then the voltage is set at 18vdc and the path is established for the receiver to "see" a satellite through a defined switch protocol. The selection for a vertical scan only instructs the receiver to look for signals in a portion of the IF range but would not change voltage.

Each satellite has a default configuration with the parameters defined by a combination of the default LNB type, DiSEqC port, 22KHz switch (if not Universal type LNB) and motor type.

The Coolsat firmware appears to be incorrectly programmed for stacked LNB configurations. Kudos to you for discovering this and for exploiting this error for your benefit, but it is just that..... an error.

Last edited:
Brian, would be nice to implement support of DSS stacked LNBF with LOF1=11.25 anf LOF2=14.35 GHz. Those multi feed DP/DPP LNBF also support DiSEqC cmds. And Ka implementation wouldn't take much time and EEPROM space for sure, but will give current/future advantage.

A couple of questions...

Will the receiver decode PAL signals to NTSC?

Is there an alpha (or better) version of the receiver manual yet - if so would you consider making it available (or would that give the competition too much notice)?

Does the MicroHD allow more than 40 degrees of travel on each side of a true south satellite using USALS? I always thought it was a minor pain with any receiver I had to use USALS for everything up to G18 @ 123W, but couldn't for AMC 21 @125W and Horizons 1 at 127W. I had to use diseqc 1.2 for those.

50 degrees of travel east and west of true south, for 100 degrees total, would be cool, if possible. :)

What about complex switches?

For instance, two groups of dishes on a 22k switch.

0k side passes through to a G-box and C-band dish. Perhaps a 4x1 switch on the end of this one to have multiple LNB's on the C-band dish.
22k side passes through to a 8x1 uncommitted switch with multiple C and ku dishes on that switch.

This is an actual setup I have on my PC. I've not yet found any other PC app or tuner that will control this kooky setup.

Give us all the potential options to connect up ANYTHING and you'll have something hot..

:)

...50 degrees of travel east and west of true south, for 100 degrees total, would be cool, if possible. :)
My DG2100 covers at least 58 degrees (to 15W) east of due south and 66 degrees (to 121W) west of due south when used with Coolsat 7000 and USALS. I believe its physical movement specs are +/- 70 degrees. USALS is best only to find the first satellite or two anyway. I find it's best to use DiSEqC 1.2 to precisely aim for each satellite, maybe since I'm closer to the edge of many footprints with little leeway for error.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)