New Guide UI now rolling out (plus HDR support!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
To determine whether a 4K TV model supports HDR, select the Display option via the Settings section of the DIRECTV system menu screen. From there, go to the TV Color section and then select Test TV. The DIRECTV system will then test the TV and show whether it supports HDR content. This screen will also display during the initial installation process after the “Satellite Dish Setup” screen.

ODD i got update this AM but i dont see the TV color section?
Hr-54
samsung 4k HDR

My C61K got the update and I see the Color option under Display. But it is grayed out. My HR54 has not yet got the update so that is probably why I can't select it. Both C61K and HR54 need to be running with the update.

M new firmware came last night. It's prettier but not as easy to use. I have not found a "jump to date" in the guide, he "other showings" only shows the same program but not other programs in the series, the list is always newest 1st - you hit 0 and it changes but won't stay alphabetical. I will play with it again when I get home from work.

M new firmware came last night. It's prettier but not as easy to use. I have not found a "jump to date" in the guide, he "other showings" only shows the same program but not other programs in the series, the list is always newest 1st - you hit 0 and it changes but won't stay alphabetical. I will play with it again when I get home from work.

For jump to press zero while in the guide. For other showings you have to choose all seasons. It’s awesome once you get use to it

Reactions: DudeDad
New update today for my Genie 2 (4 clients). Had to change the resolution on one TV. Interface is slick, will take a bit of time to get used to....if you click "info" you can then see more of what's on that channel, and it takes you to on demand for that channel - convenient!

I got mine overnight. Kinda purdy. I haven't been home enough tonight to really try it out, but I'm sure Mrs. Manitoba will fill me in. :facepalm

Just something new to learn; just like switching to a different provider.

Reactions: edisonprime
Hey guys, got a question ...
Background ...
HR44, running the current CE software, have new GUI ...
We know about the All Recordings issue ...

Ok, tonight I went to watch the latest NCIS ( tonights episode) ... it recorded fine.
I wanted to look and see if there was an episode for next week.
I went to the Manage Recordings/ Upcoming recordings ...
Found NCIS and noticed that it is Recording all day Thursday (all reruns from oxygen channel) ..
So I went in and looked at my Series Options ... It was/and Is set to Record FIRST RUN Only and to keep 5.

Why is it showing recording all day Thursday if its set for First Run Only ?
Is there anything I can do to fix this ?
Is this just part of the ALL Channels bug ?

FWIW, the new GUI, while I like the look, I don't like the new layout at all ... much easier to scroll down to find stuff vs scrolling across.
It also takes more steps to do things ... o_O:(:oldno

If anyone is interested in easily finding HDR programs go to your guide and hit 0, sort programs by category, and then select HDR.

Reactions: longhorn23
We know about the All Recordings issue ...

Why is it showing recording all day Thursday if its set for First Run Only ?
Is there anything I can do to fix this ?
Is this just part of the ALL Channels bug ?

Its the "All Channels Recordings bug." ...

Or at least DIRECTV certainly should classify it as a bug if not a horrible design choice ...

And no, there is not a way to fix it in the current NR being rolled out of the new UI. Not sure if the lastest CE versions have corrected this yet.

I think HDR is supported by c61k only. So the HR54 is most likely not supported.

Err one doesn't have anything to with other. The HR54 can run c61ks.

If D* tries to force people with either HR54's or RVU's into HS17's/C61k's just for HDR, they're going to have a lot of unhappy customers. I'll be one of them.

Reactions: TermiNader

Or at least DIRECTV certainly should classify it as a bug if not a horrible design choice ...

And no, there is not a way to fix it in the current NR being rolled out of the new UI. Not sure if the lastest CE versions have corrected this yet.
Not necessarily This would happen previously with only one channel and happens all the time with my kids programs. They obviously all won’t record and will show up later in your history as not matching your recording preferences

Thanks for confirming this .... I have the most recent CE that I'm aware of, so I'm gonna say, no its not fixed yet. (I think they skipped a week recently )

I just got th update yesterday when I turned on the tv last night when I got home from work. It’s a bit clunky and it feels a little slow compared to the previous interface. I feel the settings were a lot more easier on the old guide.

With that said the guide looks clean and modern, hopefully they keep improving it and make it more responsive.

Err one doesn't have anything to with other. The HR54 can run c61ks.

If D* tries to force people with either HR54's or RVU's into HS17's/C61k's just for HDR, they're going to have a lot of unhappy customers. I'll be one of them.
I think that the only programming that will be HDR will be occasional 4K programs that have been mastered with HDR. And would only be available on Channels 104 and 106 plus OnDemand 4K content. It's not likely that Directv will apply fake HDR to everything. So yes, I believe a C61K would be required to access the 4K HDR content unless 4K RVU's can also support HDR.

A quick search for keyword HDR returns an upcoming 4K NHL game.

I really don't understand the need for the change. I mean it's OK but different doesn't mean better. It just means different. If this new gui was the one being replaced with the old gui I would feel the same way.

I really don't understand the need for the change. I mean it's OK but different doesn't mean better. It just means different. If this new gui was the one being replaced with the old gui I would feel the same way.

Well they are trying the offer the same UI across all their services. Uverse, Now, and Directv.

I think that the only programming that will be HDR will be occasional 4K programs that have been mastered with HDR. And would only be available on Channels 104 and 106 plus OnDemand 4K content. It's not likely that Directv will apply fake HDR to everything. So yes, I believe a C61K would be required to access the 4K HDR content unless 4K RVU's can also support HDR.

A quick search for keyword HDR returns an upcoming 4K NHL game.
IIRC I've seen some discussion going on that HDR might be use with 1080p programming and not be limited to 4K by some content providers. You get the added color depth without the large hit in bandwidth needs that 4K has.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)