New Guide UI now rolling out (plus HDR support!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
IIRC I've seen some discussion going on that HDR might be use with 1080p programming and not be limited to 4K by some content providers. You get the added color depth without the large hit in bandwidth needs that 4K has.
That would be good if everyone buys in to doing it.

Got it yesterday. Had 3 customers call and complain already
Doesn't surprise me, people always complain when something changes, it just different for them and they have to learn it all over again.

As far as I'm concerned, its a step backwards with the layout, much more confusing, I'm sure you'll get many more people asking about it.

Are they complaining about it, or just asking about it ?

So is this in the national release now? If so is the Genie(HR-54) getting it automatically?
Yes it's the latest NR, but not in the stream 24/7 yet ...

You can wait until your account is flagged to receive the new UI firmware automatically during your early morning hours local time. Or force d/l it when you see start rolling out in the FW watcher.

(When the watcher working that is, which is becoming more infrequent ....

The Information section, Server Software, of my HR54 correctly displays that the receiver was upgraded (forced upgrade) to 0xffc on December 1st. It also displays that a software upgrade has not been scheduled, and the Status line displays 0xd80, Service 2, Thu 9/14. Does the Status line reflect the software of record or some other status? Can I expect another upgrade (overwrite) to 0xffc during a normal scheduled upgrade? If that occurs will the Status line be updated to show something other than 0xd80?

As far as I'm concerned, its a step backwards with the layout, much more confusing, I'm sure you'll get many more people asking about it.

Having tried this out a couple of months ago, I'm dreading being forced to use it. I'm no technophobe -- I've used pretty much every computer UI since DOS, had the original Betamax and countless other video recorders, every TiVo starting with the original, and 40+ years experience with professional television equipment -- but sometimes a "change" is not "better." Unfortunately, it's very difficult for humans -- specifically the humans who design things for a living -- to accept the fact that a particular UI might have evolved to a point where it is nearly ideal, and should just be left alone. This change feels like a bit of a hot mess.

Having tried this out a couple of months ago, I'm dreading being forced to use it. I'm no technophobe -- I've used pretty much every computer UI since DOS, had the original Betamax and countless other video recorders, every TiVo starting with the original, and 40+ years experience with professional television equipment -- but sometimes a "change" is not "better." Unfortunately, it's very difficult for humans -- specifically the humans who design things for a living -- to accept the fact that a particular UI might have evolved to a point where it is nearly ideal, and should just be left alone. This change feels like a bit of a hot mess.
Had they changed the colors, like the new one and left the layout the same, I think that would have worked better.

Had they changed the colors, like the new one and left the layout the same, I think that would have worked better.

Completely agree. Or as mentioned above, give people a choice as what to use. That's what TiVo is doing with their new UI (which also seems terrible to me, not true to the "simplicity" that once TiVo) -- you currently have to opt-in if you want the new, and even after you get it, you can roll back to the old.

OMG...people are so emotional about a DVR UI. It’s NOT that massive of a change. Finally got it this am and poking around, I don’t see a ton of things that are markedly different. Basically it is the Playlist that has changed the most. It just has more options; but it basically functions the same when on “All Recordings” (default).

I think people need to get a grip and calm down. It isn’t the end of times because the UI has flat colors and updated fonts.

OMG...people are so emotional about a DVR UI. It’s NOT that massive of a change. Finally got it this am and poking around, I don’t see a ton of things that are markedly different. Basically it is the Playlist that has changed the most. It just has more options; but it basically functions the same when on “All Recordings” (default).

I think people need to get a grip and calm down. It isn’t the end of times because the UI has flat colors and updated fonts.

totally agree...it changed about as much as a new iphone.

Reactions: dishfan82
Seems like a lot of wasted space on the guide, could've made the live picture bigger and the fonts top (they seem a little small and hard to read).

Menu also seems slow; each move seems to cause a slight scroll taking up time.

Reactions: dishfan82
rather the cosmetic changes, I would have preferred enhancements like:
- being able to create folders to put dvr'd shows into so you can separate different people in the house
- ability to format shows to download right on the dvr rather than on the app
-etc

The Menu is the same but it functions WAY different.
Why would anyone when you open up into a new section such as the Menu, would they design it to automatically start in the "Whats On" section, instead of in the actual menu and have that Option where to go ?
Then they screwed up seeing your Recordings, instead of clicking on Recordings and they show up next to the menu like it use to where you could see all of them and choose what you want to do, they made it so you could only see a few without having to scroll to the left for days ...
They messed up the ability to record from the channel you desire ...
Those are just a few things so far .... whats next ...
Yes, minor changes as you say. :mad::wtf .... these were not minor changes.

Great White Shark playing in HLG
IMG_0962.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts