New guy with older SATV needs help

US2CR

Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Guanacaste
I purchased a satellite system from SunSat ~3 yrs ago and last yr Dish moved the satellite positioning. Now I can only get a handful of stations. I was told to reposition the satellite (i think 119)...unfortunately, I don't have the equipment (sat finder, etc) to reposition and I don't think paying ~$400 to have someone come over to reposition is valid. I do not have HDTV and I purchase my NY locals from a company in Puerto Rico. I am not getting what I paid for and feel taken advantage of...If anyone is in the Samara/Nosara area, I will gladly pay a "fair" price for someone to fix my issue...ps, I know of another person with similar issue near by, so this could be a double job at a good price for all...
Thank you in advance
US2CR

I purchased a satellite system from SunSat ~3 yrs ago and last yr Dish moved the satellite positioning. Now I can only get a handful of stations. I was told to reposition the satellite (i think 119)...unfortunately, I don't have the equipment (sat finder, etc) to reposition and I don't think paying ~$400 to have someone come over to reposition is valid. I do not have HDTV and I purchase my NY locals from a company in Puerto Rico. I am not getting what I paid for and feel taken advantage of...If anyone is in the Samara/Nosara area, I will gladly pay a "fair" price for someone to fix my issue...ps, I know of another person with similar issue near by, so this could be a double job at a good price for all...
Thank you in advance
US2CR
I would suggest checking local want ads or call DISH.

My understanding is when I signed up for Dish service, it is a US service, so calling Dish won't help....I was hoping others on this forum have the technology, etc to assist...but thank you, I will check the local want ads. Is there a CR company (Dish installer/etc) anyone would recommend to help with this matter?...I'm located in the Samara/Nosara area (Guanacaste region)

DNW nosara

I had my system installed by SunSat and have found them to be very knowledgeable of all the changes made by DNW. When I have talked to them, they have always been very helpful.

From what I know since DNW launched the new 119 satellite two and a half years ago, the choices in our area are:
1.Stay with Sat 119 with limited programming
2.Realign Dish to a new satellite and enjoy many channels of HD viewing.
3. Install second Dish, combine with the 119 for some of the best HD viewing in CR

With #s 2 and 3, you would have to upgrade to an HD receiver.

Drive time from their base to our area/return is around 8 hours, plus their time to realign the Dish or install a new one, $USD 400.00(?, I think they have raised their prices, due to cost of everything here)) doesn't seem unreasonable.

Don't know anyone in our area that does this type of work, but there may be...Good Luck:))):)

I only know Sun Sat through having them provide my system, and am just a very satisfied customer. They are known to be the best in CR.

DNW nosars...thanks for the response. Yes, 8 hrs is a long drive and $400 (maybe more) with my fixed income is a lot of money for them to come out and re-align a dish (do not want two 2.5-3m dishes...one scar on the landscape is plenty). Hence, I'm looking for someone in the "area" of Samara/Nosara to do the re-alignment (ie, your option #2 to realign with HD viewing)...bottom line is I feel a bit "jipped" dropping so much money into the set up only to have it be "re-alighed" for $400+ after 1 yr service....SunSat are good people and they need to make a living, but I'm looking for less-expensive service call. Is there a "sat-finder" that can be purchased in the States so I can DIY?

Have you tried Dishpointer.com.

It will give you the azimuth and elevation you need, then it will be up to you to dial it in.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)