new h21

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slabo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
central illinois
anyone have the new hr21 non dvr box up and running? are you satisfied with it? and if i bought it elsewhere and added to my existing setup instead of leasing, what would it cost to getting going with dtv? thanks

actually a number of people have reported buying one at bestbuy. It is basicly an H20 without the OTA receiver. Early reviews report it is fairly stable and runs a lot cooler then the h20. I suspect it is too new to find one you can buy vs the lease from D*

actually a number of people have reported buying one at bestbuy. It is basicly an H20 without the OTA receiver. Early reviews report it is fairly stable and runs a lot cooler then the h20. I suspect it is too new to find one you can buy vs the lease from D*

All I saw was people saying best buy had a sku not product.

i saw them on ebay for $115 shipped, and they include a hdmi cable too. what does it cost to add an additional box that has been bought elsewhere? thanks again

Since the H21 is a new product added after D* moved to their lease only model I would think there aren't any truly "owned" H21's. I would be contious of "purchasing" this. I would think it is a lease upgrade that you won't own or a stolen box.

Hey mods, can someone change the title of this thread to H21 not HR21, thanks.

The H21-200 HD receiver, manufactured by Samsung, went into general availability this week. Functionality is basically the same as the H20 but with no OTA tuner. I have had one for a few months as part of the testing program. Seems to be an excellent receiver. Runs much cooler than both H20s, has much faster response than anything else DirecTV has. And it's black (at least mine is).

Do you know if Directv is selling them yet? WHen I called the person had no clue what I was talking about. SHe said they had no info on a new H21 receiver. My local Best Buy did not have them so I was hoping to get one directly from D*.

Thanks

I have no idea about availability thru DirecTV. Have heard that they are available in some retail stores this week. My local installer does not have any yet....

Just called D* again and got the same answer -- they are not showing it yet. The CSR also told me I could not request a specific model and that they could only request that a HD receiver be sent to me -- so it could be a H20.

The CSR suggested I wait until I could pick one up at retail so I was sure to get the H21. I cannot imagine it will be much longer if Best Buy in Orlando had them on the shelves. I read somewhere on the internet that they would be readily available by 10/7. So I'll continue to look and check the BB website -- and I'll post if I have any luck.

Thanks for the response.

Just called D* again and got the same answer -- they are not showing it yet. The CSR also told me I could not request a specific model and that they could only request that a HD receiver be sent to me -- so it could be a H20.

The CSR suggested I wait until I could pick one up at retail so I was sure to get the H21. I cannot imagine it will be much longer if Best Buy in Orlando had them on the shelves. I read somewhere on the internet that they would be readily available by 10/7. So I'll continue to look and check the BB website -- and I'll post if I have any luck.

Thanks for the response.

My only question is why you would want the receiver without the OTA HD tuner instead of the one with the OTA HD tuner?

H21 is a dumbed down (cheaper to manufacture) version of the H20 or the same price as the h20.

We get over 35 OTA digital channels in my DMA that the H21 will never get. How many are available in your market?

Our local distributor received a pallet load last Friday of the HR-21's... then they informed me that the switch needed to run just one line to them won't be out till sometime in December. I was hoping they would be packaged together... like Dish Network is... (separator)....

The single-wire multiswitch is starting to be rolled out in some markets. I have one of the field test units and it works very well (it also works with the D12, H20, H21, HR20 and upcoming R16, although I'm not sure if the software enabling them has been rolled out to all models yet).

My only question is why you would want the receiver without the OTA HD tuner instead of the one with the OTA HD tuner?

H21 is a dumbed down (cheaper to manufacture) version of the H20 or the same price as the h20.

We get over 35 OTA digital channels in my DMA that the H21 will never get. How many are available in your market?
=========
H21 without OTA tuner..?

That is going to ruin one customer's day. I installed three of them today. They started ok & the customer noted the crappy PQ. This could have been the 60 ft sat to dish run or the number of fittings from the WB68 to each IRD or the length of the runs; could have been the LQ TVs.

Joe

Last edited:

This is my best guess to that question:

The end user wants to run the OTA directly to their ATSC enabled TV or set-top tuner; or to keep an existing setup of same; while simply adding DirecTV service with HD. I know they can do that even by getting the H/HR20. PLUS I hear they are BLACK; wish my receivers were, they would match everything else in my A/V room. ARGH!

I can see DirecTV moving this way to get 110% out of the OTA business they they were never REALLY in and place all that back onto the end user where it rightfully belongs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.