New HD at the expense of Voom?

New HD? Where is it? ABC Family is all SD all the time. WFN is SD (that very, very, very few people want). Toon is SD stretch-o-vision. TWC is mainly SD globull warming propaganda. Travel channel is mostly if not only SD. List goes on. At the end of my contract, E* will probably lose another sub.

I have a feeling this is step 1 in the phase out of Voom. Unless Voom strikes up a deal with DirecTV, how can they justify having all those channels with nobody watching them?

Remove useful, pure HD channels for a bunch of SD and stretched channels.

F'n Dish...Do something right for ONCE. I have been a subscriber for a long time...If DirecTV ever picks up the Voom channels, adios Dish.

New HD? Where is it? ABC Family is all SD all the time. WFN is SD (that very, very, very few people want). Toon is SD stretch-o-vision. TWC is mainly SD globull warming propaganda. Travel channel is mostly if not only SD. List goes on. At the end of my contract, E* will probably lose another sub.

All BS stretch-o-vision nationals at the cost of 100% HD 24/7...............bad move.

Aargh! Gameplay was one I watched, although they had WAY too many reruns lately....

I also watched HD NEWS a lot.... Best looking weather maps....

Tennis and Fishing are completely useless......

Way to piss away all that goodwill Charlie..... You've got nothing over D* now.... Monsters and Rave are the only ones left I care about.... My guide wasn't filled in yet, so I couldn't see if the new ones were worth the downgrade of the others...

For the millionth time, why would any cable station invest in HD programing without having any providers carrying the channel first? Think about it a little bit. Travel has a lot of HD, The weather channel has some HD programming, and a lot of their weather maps are HD, and will be moving into a HD studio next month. Voom had all HD but no customer base to support it. Sorry, if you enjoyed voom, I enjoyed it also, but I downgraded when I could because I could not justify 10 more a month to watch old rerun movies and original programming that for the most part in my opinion was only produced to show off how great an HD picture looked. Also I don't even DVR CURRENT sporting events; I would have to believe MOST people had no interest in watching year old soccer and CFL football games over and over and over. I hope you all make good on your promise and leave. I am tired of having to explain economics to you FEW.

For the millionth time, why would any cable station invest in HD programing without having any providers carrying the channel first? Think about it a little bit. Travel has a lot of HD, The weather channel has some HD programming, and a lot of their weather maps are HD, and will be moving into a HD studio next month. Voom had all HD but no customer base to support it. Sorry, if you enjoyed voom, I enjoyed it also, but I downgraded when I could because I could not justify 10 more a month to watch old rerun movies and original programming that for the most part in my opinion was only produced to show off how great an HD picture looked. Also I don't even DVR CURRENT sporting events; I would have to believe MOST people had no interest in watching year old soccer and CFL football games over and over and over. I hope you all make good on your promise and leave. I am tired of having to explain economics to you FEW.

Thanks for the lesson. I will throw away my MBA and just ask you from now on. :rolleyes: But, I'm glad you believe that Tennis and Fishing is an upgrade over the removed Voom channels.

All I can say is that the picture quality of most of these channels stink! I knew it, my best friend was at my house last night and we were wondering where all the bandwith for all this channels came from. With all the hype I didn't noticed the missing channels. For me Rave, Rush, Gameplay, Equator, Wordsports were among the channels that I watch the most.

I was watching Transformers last night, not even close to my HD-DVD version, then Pan Labyrinth on 5-Max, whao!! outstanding 4X3 Sd picture.

I do like several of the channels added, but I couln't find MGM and Smithsonian, even though I have the HD-Ulitimate Pack.

Gallery and World Cinema were definitely "niche channels", but the niche they fit was my niche. There isn't any national HD on the horizon that fills the void left by removing those two channels.

Thanks for the lesson. I will throw away my MBA and just ask you from now on. :rolleyes: But, I'm glad you believe that Tennis and Fishing is an upgrade over the removed Voom channels.

First of all, I would hope you agree with me if you truly have an MBA. As for the Tennis Channel and Fishing network, The tennis channel has lots of HD programming on it, and the content is not repeated. I don't watch it. But I would watch it over a 2 year old soccer match. I like soccer, but come on. The only questionable channel they have given us and I cannot explain is WFN. Maybe it was a package deal with something else? Maybe they got it for free or were paid to put it up. Who knows. Right now, its worthless, but again, WFN is only on Dish Network and I believe on FIOS in some places. I am sure it were cheap. Dish Network was paying A LOT of money to Voom for reruns and subpar programming. Even someone that has to brag about having an MBA :rolleyes: can see that.

Voom people, I am not saying you were not screwed. If I had programming on a channel that I enjoyed and they just turned it off without notice, I would be pissed also. Dish Network was wrong to do that. But I see why they made the move.

Oh, goodie! Now maybe we can have the World Watching Grass Grow Channel and the World Paint Drying Channel and the ... rest of these monstrously boring activity channels. Some activities are lots of fun to do, but no fun whatsoever to sit and watch. I guess I just can't wait for the World Bovine Insemination Channel which Insight Sports claims is "coming soon". :mad:

Firstly, as stated by Scott and others, the new HD channels were added "before" the VOOM channels were blocked. I believe it was said they are still uplinked but not available for viewing. So all the statements about using VOOM bandwidth are incorrect. Secondly, I have always loved VOOM but downgraded to the the essential HD package when VOOM made the decision to cut back their programming. IMO, most all of the HD programming (both old and new) sucks. The HD picture quality will never come close to blueray until the quantity over quality mentality is reversed and providers are not "forced" to carry channels as part of a larger package.

I only tuned into ABC Family briefly, don't know what it was, but it was HD.

Toon is stretched, but not stretch-o-vidsion, thank goodness. Some people have claimed to have seen HD. Hard to tell with cartoons actually, but even Scooby Doo looks better.

I've seen ONLY HD on Travel Channel so far. (Which admittedly, was only 2 shows.)

I even saw real HD on Biography and Toon Disney. And Smithsonian and MGM are awesome!

Agreed on WFN, and no comment on your political agenda and spelling. But as far as launching a bunch of HD channels goes, it was a pretty good batch. I just hope they fix 5 Star Max soon.

BUT, they should have waited until the NEXT batch comes out to drop Voom, just from a PR point of view. We know they had room to run ALL these channels. If they had waited a couple weeks, and turned Voom off and others on at the same time, it would have made more sense.

!protestEmail sent. Hating Dish right now. Where are they spending all the money Directv spends on exclusives like Sunday Ticket, Hot Pass, and Extra Innings? Another call center in India?

I would disagree somewhat in that Travel Channel and (surprisingly) TWC are two of the most interesting additions.

No Reservations and Samantha Brown in HD are well worth it and I saw one of the best HD programs I've seen in a while last night on TWC (When Weather Made History, about the Nome diptheria serum run).

Of course these may be few and far between, but I'll take them.

!protestEmail sent. Hating Dish right now. Where are they spending all the money Directv spends on exclusives like Sunday Ticket, Hot Pass, and Extra Innings? Another call center in India?

At least try to have SOME semblance of logic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)