New HD Channels already showing up

SatinKzo said:
I think you mean Psudeo-Mpeg4
Reported by those who can see the streams as mpeg2.

Reportedly some of the locals in test show mpeg4 (h.264). May still end up going live as mpeg2.

I wouldn't hold out for the 811 to get the new HD channels. E* wants people to move to the new mpeg4 receivers.

First time post... so far I have learned a lot here from just reading....

But time to ask for a little help....

We have the 811, I know I need to upgrade to one of the new mpeg4 receivers (211)to get the new HD packages/channels... We currently have the voom addition with the dish pointed to 61.5 along with the normal dish at 119.... I just spoke with a dishnetwork guy that was extremly hard to understand... he said I need another dish to receive the addtional HD channels... A 3rd DISH?????

Also it seemed that the wording on the Dish site was $49.99 one time fee... he mentioned another monthly fee on top of that........

Is this all correct?

any info would be greatly appreciated..

npm_Mike said:
First time post... so far I have learned a lot here from just reading....

But time to ask for a little help....

We have the 811, I know I need to upgrade to one of the new mpeg4 receivers (211)to get the new HD packages/channels... We currently have the voom addition with the dish pointed to 61.5 along with the normal dish at 119.... I just spoke with a dishnetwork guy that was extremly hard to understand... he said I need another dish to receive the addtional HD channels... A 3rd DISH?????

Also it seemed that the wording on the Dish site was $49.99 one time fee... he mentioned another monthly fee on top of that........

Is this all correct?

any info would be greatly appreciated..

He probably meant that you would need a Dish 1000 which the computer automatically assumes all HD customers need now. The Dish 1000 would replace your Dish 500 which picks up 110 and 119 for the core channels. If you have a Dish 500 and second dish pointed at 61.5 you really don't need the Dish 1000 upgrade and the customer service people should know that. The bright side is, if you don't really need the 61.5 dish for additional locals or anything this would be a chance for you to go with only one dish for everything. The choice is (or should be) yours.

Yeah best to go with a 1000 that way dont half to mess with two dish's and you should be able to get anything Dish has to offer in most cases.

JohnH said:
Your location(market) and what programming you currently have will help whoever tries to answer your questions.

You're correct, I should have been more specific..

I live in a "White Zone" ( I think that's what's called ).... Location is 100 miles north of Oklahoma City... We have dish 500 for 110/119...with a few of the distant networks.... the 2nd dish at 61.5 for the Voom channels..with the $9.99 normal HD package and of course the Voom addition.. The SD channel package is the 120 channel variety..

Poke said:
Yeah best to go with a 1000 that way dont half to mess with two dish's and you should be able to get anything Dish has to offer in most cases.

So if I read this correectly I can simply replace the 500 and the additonal one they installed for Voom with one 1000 and that will do the trick.... The Dish Network rep didn't seem very knowledgable of what I needed.... so I really need to research this before I call back...

How'about the addition fee, seems the wording was a one time $49.99 fee...( this is for the main box, not bedrooms).... Is the $49.99 a lease with monthly fees?

thanks in advance

npm_Mike said:
You're correct, I should have been more specific..

I live in a "White Zone" ( I think that's what's called ).... Location is 100 miles north of Oklahoma City... We have dish 500 for 110/119...with a few of the distant networks.... the 2nd dish at 61.5 for the Voom channels..with the $9.99 normal HD package and of course the Voom addition.. The SD channel package is the 120 channel variety..

So if I read this correectly I can simply replace the 500 and the additonal one they installed for Voom with one 1000 and that will do the trick.... The Dish Network rep didn't seem very knowledgable of what I needed.... so I really need to research this before I call back...

How'about the addition fee, seems the wording was a one time $49.99 fee...( this is for the main box, not bedrooms).... Is the $49.99 a lease with monthly fees?

thanks in advance
For Oklahoma, the Dish 1000 should be all you'd need. You could even take down the 61.5 dish. The Dish 1000 fits in the same mounting bracket that the Dish 500 uses, so they won't have to make any new holes in your wall or roof. If you have more than two receivers, you'll need an external switch, and Dish should supply that.

AFIK, there's an additional $50 fee to upgrade to the Dish 1000 antenna, along with the $49 for the receiver. That's a bargain. I paid $99 just for the Dish 1000 in December.

And yes, the $49 upgrade is to lease a MPEG-4 receiver.

Last edited:
Hmm well I know the upgrade I did for $49.99 comes with the 211 and the Dish1000 included.

Personally I suggest the person get upgraded to the Dish 1000 and just point the second dish at 148 for obvious reasons. If Showtime and HBO HD weren't putting out lower bitrates on 110 then I'd say just have a Dish 1000

Sarang said:
Personally I suggest the person get upgraded to the Dish 1000 and just point the second dish at 148 for obvious reasons. If Showtime and HBO HD weren't putting out lower bitrates on 110 then I'd say just have a Dish 1000

Can you explain this a little more in depth? Sorry kind new at all this...

I'll chime in here to second the opinion that it is unlikely that any additional MPEG2 HD channels will ever show up, excepting for special events like the Olympics. Everyone wanting to get Universal, Food, HGTV, Starz, Cinemax, ESPN2, local networks and eventually Nat Geographic, Sci-Fi, Bravo, Encore, etc. Etc, will have to switch to a MPEG4 receiver.

npm_Mike said:
Can you explain this a little more in depth? Sorry kind new at all this...

I am curious about this too. I have a 622 install set up and currently have one Dish pointed 110/119 and another pointed at 61.5. I am thinking to go ahead and let them put up the Dish 1000 (included with the 622 install) even though the two current Dish's I have satisfy the requirements for all the HD content I need for the 622. Should I also have them leave that second Dish up and point it at 148 because that means a better picture for HBO and Showtime? I'm confused. :confused: But I am pretty doped up on Nyquil so bear with me. :)

if you want the look of 1 dish, I guess that makes sense yeah, but you are set to go just the way you are now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts