New HD Channels already showing up

glennh73 said:
So any chance those new HD stations will be in HDLite by the weekend?

Figured they be good at the start, but knowing Dish?

And has any one checked to see if the new Voom is HDlite or HDTrue?
Cause didnt Dish say it was a fiber issue to why that are HDlite?

ESPN2 is in it's full rez (720p) as far as I can tell. AFAIK, the new VOOM are in "hd-lite", but they look pretty good, at the least no worse than other VOOM.

UniHD look very good and all reports say full rez. Since Voom was the only package downrezzed, I don't see them messing with UniHD or ESPN2.

EDIT:

Alright I think I finally saw the commercail Vurbano was talking about on UniHD. Lost of explosions, fireworks, a pig falling into some water.... I saw some blocking during the fiery explosion. The picture did not break up or leave artifacts, but there was blocking in the flames that did not last long at all, but I did notice it.

Last edited:
thats cool, though not sure if i want to upgrade to watch more stations since i dont enjoy anything on the voom stations and already had SD ESPN2 and i havent watched it.

Just feel bad for those that spent alot of money on Dish receivers and are gettin burned.

And when you guys break dwn and go MPEG 4 , you again will get burned when they probably redo the 622.

I was an "early adopter" of the 921 so I cannot say much about being stuck with that receiver but I purchased my 942 based on "Charlie's Chat!" where he said they were not moving to MPEG4 in the near future. To now not be able to view these new channels and forced to wait a significant amount of time to upgrade, I'd like to return my 942 to Charlie, cord first! If Comcast had HDNET in my area I'd be gone in a split second. But I can't do without Get Out! and Bikini Destinations :devil: so I guess I’m stuck for now. Just a word of caution Charlie, look out if you cannot fix this problem, the giant “sucking” sound you hear will be caused by the vacuum created as your subscribers jump ship.:eek:

Last edited:
Well, I think we got in on something and they have not un-authorized our boxes yet and by the time I wake up tomorrow, they will not be on my 211. I'll have to call in and upgrade my programming.

Heck for all we know, they know this forums is full of HD nuts and wanted to see what our reactions were. Maybe we were unwittingly used as a test bed. :)

GeorgeLV said:
But the DirecTV bitrate on UHD is higher. Why would they downrez and recompress it the source bitrate is only 10-11 mpbs?

GeorgeLV said:
What about Universal HD? It's in 1920x1080i, yet its bitrate is less than 10mbps.

As I have said over and over, UHD has always been bitstarved. Look at how crowded their transponder on Galaxy G1R is.

Even during the US Open it had a lower bitrate on my cable system (in the 9Mbps range) than it did on D*.

Why would E* downrez Voom to 1280x1080i at 14Mbps when they give Showtime about 11Mps or less on 110?

Last edited:
Well, I have waivers and have channels from NY and LA, but only a dish pointed at 61.5. The only thing I have from NY is CBS-HD, all the other networks I have coming from LA. But, to confirm, CBS-HD from NY is coming in on 9483 and 6301

Dish sucks

All i can say is dish management sucks, the most incompetent morons in the world, they have pissed off entire customer base of hd viewers. They are telling us we don't matter and can go to hell

Good morning, I have ny hd @ 9483, not in 6000's (just did reset 4:30 am) also no OLYMPIC hd like Charlie tuna fish promised us. Can get "family" bs package according to web site (no descriptions available - do I get 39 shopping channels back plus THE (wrong) WEATHER CHANNEL?) OH BOY OH BOYOH BOY!!!!!!!!!!! But am getting second Big dish for FTA so just a matter of months before I drop dish completely (want to get a FEW months worth from my 420 dollar 811 buggy piece of garbage.)

Last edited:
The olympics are even't started, why would the feed be up already?

I am really wonderying where you paid $420 for an 811. Sounds like you just bought it by your comments. If you really paid $420, you overpaid, they were going for like $200 on ebay not long ago and I think $399 brand new from dishstore.

The 420 includes tax of course; bought in Iowa locally in October, brand new.

Charlie chat stated: feb. 1 for olympic channel and "available to ALL"
HD subscribers, not just a few .....
(You're right, by your implication why should anything stated by Charlie ever
be correct, or truthful? ) And YOUR question was asked on the CHAT, and to paraphrase the answer - highlight and previews starting on the first -
for all HD subscribers, FEb. 1....

Last edited:
Well, I agree that I hope the olympic channel is in mpeg2 for all to view, but I wouldn't expect it up until Feb10th at the latest. Maybe the 8th or 9th at the earliest.

My 942 obsolete

I bought my 6000 for $700 then had to dish out more for the 8vsb module (sp) , followed by $750 for 942, hd dvr. Now as of Feb 1 , i still can't get hd locals, or all my voom channels, i have to spend an additional $300 for a LEASE on a 611. they are still not sure if i keep my 942 or return it, so i am up to $1800 just to watch hd and record it. What's more after that, they don't even have enough receivers. I have read on this forum only 300 in the whole country , and the 211 is destroying hdmi inputs. Moreover MPEG 4 is a farce, it is only MPEG 2 with a fake header, so we can't see it with our MPEG 2 boxes that we paid $800 .

Is Dish management NUTS. Has Charlie lost his mind.. speaking of charle he said in the november chat , MPEG 4 is a long ways off. We the dish customer is getting screwed. My monthly bill is over $200, i get international channels, and this is outrageous. What a way to treat us.

Now after calling 3 times tonite the system is down till 8 am, lunacy. I stayed up the whole nite to dish out another $300 like a fool, to find the system is down. One word outscource to India, maybe the csr would have some answer and the system would work.

I completely agree that with the current status of receivers they should have let people with older mpeg2 recievers view the new channels for a while with the understanding that in the future (6 moths or so?) you have to upgrade. I consider it a very bad move by dish. I also think they are alienating alot of the high paying customers. I sold my 921 a month or so ago, recouped some cost and the payment paid for my 211. I pre-ordered a 622 a while ago, but don't expect it till March. I refuse to be locked into an 18 month commitment and have to pay $299 to have the priv to lease. If I leave, I will recoup costs by selling my receivers.

I also see alot of high paying customers coming to dish now that they have really expanded the offerings in HD.

To get this thread back on track, I have the NY HD locals on 6300,6301,6302, & 6303. They are in the clear on my 211 and I have the NY distant nets. Of course, I have the other new HD channels also.
Scott, do we still need to subscribe to the new channels or will the billing be automatic, since we are required to subscribe to them with the 211 anyway.

calikarim said:
Is Dish management NUTS. Has Charlie lost his mind.. speaking of charle he said in the november chat , MPEG 4 is a long ways off.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it was Charlie's "Think Tank" that stated during the November Tech chat that mpeg4 was a long way off. Then during the December chat, Charlie himself dropped the mpeg4 bombshell. Bottom line is it doesn't matter who said it. The chats are supposed to provide customers with "accurate" information. What a load of BS :mad: I leased my 942 in early December, based on this info and got burned :mad:

Last edited:
dont24 said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it was Charlie's "Think Tank" that stated during the November Tech chat what mpeg4 was a long way off. Then during the December chat, Charlie himself dropped the mpeg4 bombshell. Bottom line is it doesn't matter who said it. The chats are supposed to provide customers with "accurate" information. What a load of BS :mad: I leased my 942 in early December, based on this info and got burned :mad:
At least you leased you didn't bought like people like me and got stock with a soon to be useless piece of trash.:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts