New HD Channels already showing up

HokieEngineer said:
Technically these new channels are not in the old dish HD pack. The people that can see them have new receivers, and in order to get a new receiver you were required to pick one of the new, more expensive dishHD packages. At least thats how they explained it at CES.

Everyone who already was subbed to the old HD pack is grandfathered in and pays the old price, until they decide to change programming. No NEW subs can subscribe to the old $9.99 package.

Yep, except we weren't suppossed to get the new channels UNTIL we upgraded to a new package. But these channels could all be gone tomorrow when the new packages launch and then we will have to call in and change programming. I wonder if they give me back $1.50 if I tell them I don't want gameplay. :p

who_the said:
I just read the whole thread and may have missed it, but are these true MPEG-4 or just mis-headered MPEG-2 streams?

It is mpeg-2 video with a different Channel Type descriptor so only the new boxes can see them.

GeorgeLV said:
What about Universal HD? It's in 1920x1080i, yet its bitrate is less than 10mbps.
Yeah that one is a candidate. Watch it closely. I know the UHD commercial has a sceen door effect in parts of it on D*, I think during an explosion. Id be interested to know what it does on E*.

GeorgeLV said:
What about Universal HD? It's in 1920x1080i, yet its bitrate is less than 10mbps.

Less than 10mbp won't cut it for sports. So I want to see how it is like when fast movement comes. Remember that these bitrates are not static, they can change as neecded. Also, since it is the first day that they are alive, I will give Dish some more time in manipulating this. I am sure once they see the big blocking effects of the low bitrates, they will oh my god we need to give more bitrates to the channel.

Anyone reporting blocking artifacts on the picture of UHD? They are very pronounced in fast or fire or big explosions.

Well, hokie did a longer capture of UHD over at avs and now it "varies from 14Mbit/s down to 11.5Mbit/s all within a 60 second time period." Perhaps the bitrate is really that low from the source.

Universal HD

To be honest I just couldn't believe it- yet another channel running Law & Order Reruns:( . I almost choked when I saw it in the guide. There's got to be a zillion of these shows a week across the board...

It looks much better then Universal HD-Lite on D*. Picture quality on all the new channels looks good (well much better then anything D* has).

This really sucks for us that have been wanting to switch. CEO told me to wait for the 622 on 2/1 back in December. Guess I'm stuck even longer now.

GeorgeLV said:
Well, hokie did a longer capture of UHD over at avs and now it "varies from 14Mbit/s down to 11.5Mbit/s all within a 60 second time period." Perhaps the bitrate is really that low from the source.

Program Number: 9427
PCR on PID 4386 (0x1122)
PMT Version: 0

Stream Type: 0x02 MPEG-2 Video
Elementary Stream PID 4386 (0x1122)

Stream Type: 0x81 AC-3 Audio
Elementary Stream PID 4387 (0x1123)

I'd say its mpeg2 video. The bitrate right now has been sub 10Mbit/s for the past 2 minutes straight. What is being shown right now?

BTW this mux only has FOX HD NYC and UniversalHD, so there is no shortage of bandwidth. In fact, there is a higher rate of NULL packets than UHD right now.

HokieEngineer said:
Technically these new channels are not in the old dish HD pack. The people that can see them have new receivers, and in order to get a new receiver you were required to pick one of the new, more expensive dishHD packages. At least thats how they explained it at CES.

Everyone who already was subbed to the old HD pack is grandfathered in and pays the old price, until they decide to change programming. No NEW subs can subscribe to the old $9.99 package.

I purchased my 211 and activated it last Friday. I also added the HD pack free for 6 months then $9.99 plus the $5 Voom add on. I don't know if I am subscribing to a Metalic package or not as the Advance Tech said I would get 6 months of the HD pack free. I am getting the new channels as of 5pm. Am I also grandfathered in? I guess I will find out on my next bill.

I have not seen any picture problems on UniHD. I haven't seen whatever Vurbano is talking about though. The fastest movment I have seen on UniHD so far is the trailer for Slither and for a movie called Brick. They both looked pretty darn good (the trailers, not necessarily the movie)

SatinKzo said:
I have not seen any picture problems on UniHD. I haven't seen whatever Vurbano is talking about though. The fastest movment I have seen on UniHD so far is the trailer for Slither and for a movie called Brick. They both looked pretty darn good (the trailers, not necessarily the movie)

Its a commercial for UHD. They run it frequently advertising the channel. You will recognize Adam Sandler yelling "its the coolest!" During the explosion look and see if there is a screen door effect. If not, then D* is the problem with UHD on D*. If you do get the effect then its at the source. It been a mystery for a long time.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)