New Hd Channels Start Time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've read all these all these postings about how its just TV and people should just be patient. Ok, the problem is all the money we've invested getting the new tv's and surround sound only to find out we take take full advantage of the thousands of dollars we spent to watch tv. The said thing about it is Discovery HD is the only channel that is true hd. I like Discovery HD but I don't like paying thousnds of dollars just to watch 1 channel. That is were the frustration comes in, I,ve made a commitent to Directv when will they make a commitment to me

I've read all these all these postings about how its just TV and people should just be patient. Ok, the problem is all the money we've invested getting the new tv's and surround sound only to find out we take take full advantage of the thousands of dollars we spent to watch tv. The said thing about it is Discovery HD is the only channel that is true hd. I like Discovery HD but I don't like paying thousnds of dollars just to watch 1 channel. That is were the frustration comes in, I,ve made a commitent to Directv when will they make a commitment to me

Who said we were only getting 1 hd channel, or if I am reading this wrong, who said only one channel is in TRUE HD?

last time I checked, I get 18 HD channels.... all 1080i with mostly HD content.....please define TRUE HD in your words. If you call TRUE HD 1080P, then no one I know of is broadcasting in that including Discovery HD.

Last edited:
I know we get more than just 1 channel. My point is the other channels are HD "lite" so they can save bandwith

Isn't Discovery also "Lite"? Its picture isn't any better than the other nationals.

The only HD channels that don't have PQ problems, from what I can tell, are the MPEG4 locals...

Let me clarify, I was kidding about the tailpipe but 100% serious about the launch times. They had major issues with black screens and sound. That seems to be fixed now, but they will go live that sunday while everyone is tucked in there beds just to be safe.

Take it for what it's worth to you, if my screen name isn't trust worthy well then disregard what I am saying, stay awake hoping that they do it sooner and you lose nothing other then your own time. For those who listen to me, spend the next few days doing something with your life because you are going to be stuck to your set come Sunday.

Love you all!:)

I will believe we have new HD when I see it!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.discoveryhd.ca/reports/article.aspx?aid=209

This is where you can read about Discovery HD broadcasiting in true hd
This is what the article says "With programming produced in true HD quality, like those found on Discovery HD, your television won't have to manipulate the image, giving you the super clear content you expect to see on an HDTV.",,,, key words,,, like those found on,,,, not that they are the only providers that do that,

i agree with dicki on this. some channels aren't broadcast in true HD or even 1080i. as stated, most movies are upconverted on HBO, Showtime, and TNT. their not "broadcasted" in true HD. however, some of the new shows on HBO, Showtime, and TNT are shown in 1080i. (Big Love, Entourage) CBS and NBC broadcast in 1080i. Fox and ABC in 720p. as for true HD channels, I would say Discovery, HDNet, HDNet Movies would qualify as true HD, as in being shown in 1080i. (not full HD by the way)

as for the ESPN channels, they broadcast in 720p as of now.

just my 2 cents.

i would even settle for all 720P channels at this point -- if all of the new D10 channels looks as good as my local HD MPEG4 shows I will stay with D* for a LONGTIME!

http://www.discoveryhd.ca/reports/article.aspx?aid=209

This is where you can read about Discovery HD broadcasiting in true hd

Aren't we talking about two different things here?

"HD Lite" refers to the way D* sends the signal, with their down-rezzing and/or compression, and has nothing to do with the way the channel is produced or broadcast, unless I'm totally missing something.

The new MPEG4 channels are said to have less compression/down-rezzing, and so should not be "Lite" like ALL of the existing nationals are now, including Discovery.

Right?

No, we are talking about 6 different things. THis thread is so full of folks spouting what they think is the case with HD. I have never read so much mis-information in my life. Good god everyone, if you don't understand or know the technical end, keep your mouths shut. This is where people come for an education, go ahead read through this thread, and check yourselves.

No, we are talking about 6 different things. THis thread is so full of folks spouting what they think is the case with HD. I have never read so much mis-information in my life. Good god everyone, if you don't understand or know the technical end, keep your mouths shut. This is where people come for an education, go ahead read through this thread, and check yourselves.

WOW, yet another one telling others to keep they're mouths shut on a public forum. Why don't you try that too?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts