New HD channels

hdinsd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I read a rumor about more HD channels soon
Can anyone confirm this? and perhaps what channels?

What are these channels on the HD guide that are in the 6000's for? They are already on other channels.

Seriously now, Charlie promised more HD with E11. E11 has been on for weeks, and no new HD. I can see why people are impatient. Hopefully, with the rumored shut off of the MPEG2 HDs this week, we will at least see an interesting uplink.

The only saving grace this time around is that DirecTV has been just as bad with the activation of D11. Misery loves company.

Seriously now, Charlie promised more HD with E11. E11 has been on for weeks, and no new HD. I can see why people are impatient. Hopefully, with the rumored shut off of the MPEG2 HDs this week, we will at least see an interesting uplink.

The only saving grace this time around is that DirecTV has been just as bad with the activation of D11. Misery loves company.

Charlie certainly did promise "up to" 50 more HD channels by year's end and I'll wager there are probably that many HD channels currently available that could be added.

Hey, let's take a break from beating up on Charlie. Directv has had a new super-duper-mega sat in place for months and have yet to offer any new national HD. Oh, sorry...ABCFM! No, WGNHD, no LIFEHD, no LMNHD, no TRAVHD, no HMCHD, no HALLHD ...I'm sure I'm forgetting some other channels as well. I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks.

I fully acknowleged DirecTVs failings in my post. However, he promised more HD. You can't fault anyone for calling a guy out when he fails to deliver on said promises.

And with Directv not adding anything, suddenly adding HD, surpassing Directv by a wide margin, would certainly be a coup on his part. According to the latest podcast, stock analyists are asking why both companies are just sitting on HD capacity. Certainly we can fault a CEO when he or she seems to make a questionable buisness desicion.

Anyway, today's uplink seems to be another letdown. No more E11 shuffling, no MEPG4 HD placeholders, not even just indicating the shift on the legacy channels that was rumored to be today.

The holdup is clearly the price negotiations with the channels.

I thought it was very likely we would see new Viacom HD channels, since all the top rated channels not on Dish in HD are from Viacom.

However, Eric Sahl said on the Charlie Chat (only 10 days ago), that he was still in negotiations with Viacom.

So, I think that as of today, Dish Network has plenty of satellite space for new HD channels, but no contracts to add those channels to their packages.

PS The MPEG2-HD to MPEG4-HD conversion will happen between midnight ET and 4am ET - not during the day when it would disrupt viewers. Again, the holdup is not satellite space, but rather waiting for installers to finish swapping 811s, 921s and 942s for 211s, and 722s. It is more important to E* that customers not lose their HD channels that they subscribe to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)