New HD Dish Customers Happy?

christophersouth@msn.com

Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
When comparing the startup and monthly costs, Dish appears to be a better deal than DirecTv. When I read the DirecTv threads, it appears they have several Dish folks that have switched. So I'd be interested in hearing pro/con of the new deals for Dish...

Any new Dish HD customers that can comment on satisfaction with the equipment, quality of HD programming?

On another note, anyone found a good HD DVR for Dish they are happy with?

CMS

Hi, Welcome to Satellite Guys! :)

I'm currently a Dish Network sub and am happy with their service.

As for equipment promotions, dish has the edge with their leasing plans. The dish equipment may be a bit buggier than what DirecTV has, but if it saves $300 bucks then it works for me.

As far as technical HD picture quality, currently Dish has the edge over DirecTV.

As far as programming, specifically the HD Packages offered, they both have the same amount of channels, differences being:

DirecTV has BravoHD+ (which shows 24/7 HD but a lot of repeated content) and their package is $10.99.

Dish is TNTHD (which isn't 24/7 HD, but has a wider variety of content and will have HD basketball) and their package is $9.99.

If you're going to be a brand new subscriber to Dish you can get the HD package free for 6 months. DirecTV also has 6 free months, but it is open to new and current subs.

Also DirecTV has NFL Sunday Ticket HD Games.

As far as other HD offerings. DirecTV put out several press releases talking about future HD offerings (i.e. 500 HD local stations next year). While there has been nothing from Dish, but things are stirring in the rumor mill.

Hello Chris and Welcome,

Currently there is only one HD PVR available for Dish, (DP921) and opinions vary on this receiver.

Don't read too much into customers switching sides...both sides have people that have switched services for one reason or another. I can find people equally upset about Direct or Dish. I used to be a USSB customer but left when Direct took over and made changes to the services. Dish has had a couple increases but these were minor and they tend to offer lower monthly package prices. Is this enough? The answer to that question is pure opinion. I am happy with Dish, sure there are times when I have had issues, but after I learned how the system works and how to get help I find problems can be easily resolved in most cases.

Good luck,
Jason

nippjas said:
Hello Chris and Welcome,

Currently there is only one HD PVR available for Dish, and opinions very on this receiver.

Don't read too much into customers switching sides...both sides have people that have switched services for one reason or another. I can find people equally upset about Direct or Dish. I used to be a USSB customer but left when Direct took over and made changes to the services. Dish has had a couple increases but these were minor and they tend to offer lower monthly package prices. Is this enough? The answer to that question is pure opinion. I am happy with Dish, sure there are times when I have had issues, but after I learned how the system works and how to get help I find problems can be easily resolved in most cases.

Good luck,
Jason
I have had, and still have both....I switched the bulk of my programming to Dish, they had superstations and a slightly lower cost at the time, I keep Direct because I get the distants... both are good-apples and oranges :) And as for the hd dvr, I'm waiting on both to get the bugs out, I have Replays and downrezz for now.... I downrezz Dish now...

BFG said:
Hi, Welcome to Satellite Guys! :)

DirecTV has BravoHD+ (which shows 24/7 HD but a lot of repeated content) and their package is $10.99.
DirecTV also has CBS-HD, NBC-HD, and Fox-HD (baseball for now, full Fox programming soon) for customers in network-owned markets. Dish only has CBS-HD at this time.

The HD networks are free on both systems, if you subscribe to their locals.

I'm fairly happy with my 921 and the HD pack. However I'm also lucky enough to get all of my locals HD signals OTA (when they broadcast) so I'm less worried about NBC-HD and FOX-HD than most. If you haven't already, go to http://antennaweb.org to see what you can expect to pull in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)