New Hd Dvr

HDFreud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2004
Northern, NJ
I got a call form Comcast last night on a promotion and they are coming to install the new Panasonic DVR on Wednesday. It is supposed to have USB working, play MPEG-2, etc.. Anyone have any experice with these yet? I'm afriad to get too excited.

Last edited:
I got a call form Cocast last night on a promotion and they are coming to install the new Panasonic DVR on Wednesday. It is supposed to have USB working, play MPEG-2, etc.. Anyone have any experice with these yet? I'm afriad to get too excited.

I know that Comcast in New Hampshire will have these boxes available in late June or very early July so it wouldn't surprise me that other markets would get them a tad bit sooner like you. When your install is done please let us all know if you did get the Panny HD DVR and tell us how the iguide software is. Just keep in mind that if you get this new Panny HD DVR box it will have a brand new iguide software that at some point will be rolled out onto existing Moto and SA set-top boxes. The Panny boxes will just be the first to have it is all. This iguide should from what I hear be feature rich with great graphics and speed, speed and speed. I've been begging for this box forever but my local Manchester office hasn't got their shipment yet or they would have given me one to get rid of me. Hey that was their words but they said it in a very nice way though.

I get the box free for 7 months with no obligations, no contract, no extensions, no... and the regular $10.95 or 11.95 per month (I forget) after that.

Nope still coming to most of Mass and all of New Hampshire in August. I'm told its more like late July to early August timeframe.

I don't think the deployment will be "all of NH" as you mention... some of NH is a SA system and from my understanding the Tivo software was developed for the Moto systems only right now.

-t

I don't think the deployment will be "all of NH" as you mention... some of NH is a SA system and from my understanding the Tivo software was developed for the Moto systems only right now.

-t

Yes I should have said all of Comcast New Hampshire that has Moto boxes. If your living in New Hampshire and were an Adelphia customer before being switched to Comcast "and" you have a Scientific Atlanta HD or SD DVR you won't be getting the Tivo software until many months later. Last I heard that the SA port will start testing around the first of the year (year 2008 to be clear).

Sorry guys ccorrection on install date of new Panny HD DVR's. THe date is next Wednesday, not this Wednesday. I will update you then.

Update!!! I was not able to be there for install because they came late. So my wife let Comcast tech in to bring new DVR. When I got home, I rushed to the Den to find Motorola 3416's!!! AhHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I called Comcst and they told me that the driver must have gone out with what they had in stock.....Apoligies.......I don't know why........ Today I am getting the new one's and I will post a review as soon as possible!

Sorry I couln't give you a ealier update. You guys have no idea how angry I am. The short, no new HD Box!!! I went in to the service center and they stated that the only new DVR's are non-HD and that I was mistaken. I explaine dto them, that I knew the difference between HD and non-HD and that I was clear on what the sales person told me.

First, I then asked them why would comcast would leave 2 HD-DVR's at my house if the promotion was for non-HD? Response: I don't know.

Second, I also found out that I was being billed for both of these. Question to them: Why am I being billed for these if it's part of a seven month free trial? Response: I don't know.

Third, How would I have known that I was being billed if I didn't ask? Response: I don't know what happened, we've had some complaints.

Bait and switch!

I wait daily for FIOS which should be in my area in less than a year.

Sorry that I don't have better news!!

Last edited:
My guess is that somewhere along the way Comcast found out about your posts here and decided you were not a candidate for a free trial test of a new box/software. It is standard procedure in such beta trials to bind the cust to a Non-Disclosure Agreement in return for which the loan of the box and use of the software is free. (It's a legal contract.)

So we wait...

Dana

I can't imagine that it's because I posted here and non-disclosure related, but at this point I just don't know. I've had Direct-TV HD, DVR, Voom HD DVR, Comcast HD DVR and I know how to ask all the right questions.....

I am just plain confused!!!!!!!!!

I can't imagine that it's because I posted here and non-disclosure related, but at this point I just don't know. I've had Direct-TV HD, DVR, Voom HD DVR, Comcast HD DVR and I know how to ask all the right questions.....

I am just plain confused!!!!!!!!!

My guess is that the box itself wasn't ready to be offered and you got a CSR that made a mistake. It won't be the first nor the last time this will happen but I don't believe its anything you did. I've also been hearing rumors that this Panasonic box will be sold to customers who want it and "not" rented. I find this hard to believe as nobody is stupid enough at Comcast to order 250,000 company wide units and expect to sell them all because lets face it these things will be priced no less than 500 bucks each. So 250,000 is way too many without having a plan to rent them. That isn't to say they won't also sell them but I bet that 98% of them if not more will be rented. If this isn't the case it would be the biggest waste of money any big company could "ever" make because it has little to no return odds.

Yes Longhorn I agree. They should at the minimun offer in a test market as a freebie, have people rave about it in the forums, and then maybe someone may and I may may want to purchase (or not).

Last edited:
Oh and as a side note I've been hearing rumblings that Comcast may also offer Moxi as an option in the future via OCAP. Because Moxi is currently making an OCAP version of their software Comcast is looking at making this an option. So from what I'm hearing in the very near future when you order a DVR from Comcast it will come with the normal iguide software. Once you have the box you will be allowed to upgrade your DVR for a small monthly charge. I'm hearing that you can choose either the Tivo upgrade "or" the Moxi upgrade. From what I'm hearing all the hardware that was installed to support the Tivo can also be used to support other OCAP based guide software. So allowing a customer to download Moxi software to their DVR boxes would be no different than downloading the Tivo software.

I've been getting very interested in this rumor over the last few days and Comcast is only interested in Moxi because Moxi is doing their own software which Comcast won't have to fund. Right now Comcast is funding Tivo on the creating of the Tivo software itself for the Moto boxes etc. But with the whole Moxi deal all Comcast would need to do is work out the pricing deal to offer the guide software as Moxi has done all the hard work themselves with the creation of the software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)