New HD Locals coming in Feb 2006

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
perUano said:
Are you sure about this? Because if it is true I will cancel cable right now since I'll be getting my local Boston HD from DISH :D

Has a bonus in March the local CBS in Boston and Chicago will be doing their local news in HD.

SimpleSimon said:
I don't care what an HOA says, OTARD applies to OTA antennas, too. They can NOT forbid them.
stole my thunder..you are correct...Stupid hoa's........Newsflash for NC residents....New law prohoibits HOA's from foreclosing on homes for violating rules...This should take pressure off homeowners wanting to reasonably utilize their property......This especially applies to sat and OTA antennas....A bone of contention...

hdtvtechno said:
Oh no so soon just yet, Christmas Time 2007 for CBS Chicago
According to the CBS press release Boston and Chicago will be the first of the O & O to do HD local news starting this March then all other to follow. I can't find the link, but it was also mentioned over at AVS.

Denver is an OTA HDTV nightmare. CBS, ABC and NBC broadcast HD from the rooftops of their downtown buildingsmaking it nearly impossible to receive in the foothills. When will Dishnetwork offer Denver locals in MPEG4?

I used to think that E* doing HD LiL was a waste, but then realized that the 622 still only has 1 OTA tuner. As many HD channels we have, my wife and I still mostly watch network HD. E* doing HD LiL allows me to watch and record 2 different network shows, 1 over satellite and one OTA.

roachxp said:
According to the CBS press release Boston and Chicago will be the first of the O & O to do HD local news starting this March then all other to follow. I can't find the link, but it was also mentioned over at AVS.

CBS 2 Chicago Announces New Studio Location
The Mills Corporation And CBS 2 Chicago Reach An Agreement For 108 North State Street
VIDEO: Mike Flannery reports.
Save It Email It Print It
(CBS 2) ARLINGTON, Va. The Mills Corporation (NYSE: MLS) today announced that it has reached an agreement with Viacom-owned WBBM-TV/CBS 2 Chicago to relocate the television station to 108 North State Street, a 21st Century urban retail, entertainment and lifestyle destination. The agreement marks the first major tenant announced for the project. CBS 2 will anchor the corner of Washington and Dearborn Streets, with a showcase street-side studio facing Daley Plaza. CBS 2 will relocate its entire broadcast operation to 2 W. Washington, the new address of the station.

The station will occupy the first five floors of the office tower, comprising approximately 100,000 square feet. The new space will feature a state-of-the-art broadcast studio that overlooks Daley Plaza. The street-level studio will enable crowds to watch daily live, local news broadcasts as well as other locally produced and broadcast programs. The broadcast center will feature multiple large video displays that will broadcast newscasts, sporting events and entertainment shows throughout the day, along with electronic billboards that will provide 24-hour news headlines. The southwest corner will be the new high-tech, street-level location for CBS 2 Weather Control, giving the public a close-up look at the latest weather tracking technology.

“Securing the first of many hallmark tenants is another major step forward in the ongoing transformation of 108 North State Street into a world-class, multi-use urban destination,” said Steven J. Jacobsen, executive vice president of development of The Mills Corporation. “The agreement with CBS 2 Chicago, which is indicative of the strong progress we’ve made in our ongoing leasing negotiations, will be the first of many we sign with other tenants for this project.”

The plans for CBS 2’s broadcast center were included in the Planned Development, previously approved by the Chicago City Council Committee on Zoning, and Redevelopment Agreement for 108 North State Street that were introduced today into City Council.

“This is a historic moment for our station and the City. To be the first tenant of this landmark project underscores our commitment to serving our community,” said CBS 2 Chicago President and General Manager Joe Ahern. “CBS 2 Chicago will have a front row seat from our new location in the center of City, County and State government, along with the business, retail and entertainment districts of Chicago. CBS 2’s live, local presence will be felt every day on air and on the street.”

The state-of-the-art television station will be an all digital HD-ready facility, utilizing the most up-to-date technology available. In addition to the street-side studios, CBS 2 will also have a separate production studio with a dedicated control room and green rooms, giving the station the ability to produce large, long-form shows.

The Mills continues to work with the City to obtain necessary approvals on the 108 North State Street project. The company expects to break ground by the end of the year on the first phase of the project, which will include construction of the CBS 2 broadcast center, as well as the project’s retail, dining, entertainment, office and transit station components.

“The City is pleased with the agreement reached between The Mills Corporation and CBS 2 Chicago,” said Denise M. Casalino, Commissioner of the Department of Planning and Development. “We are now focusing on the future benefits this building represents to the Downtown area as we move closer to the start of construction.”

About 108 North State Street

Located in the heart of the City of Chicago, 108 North State Street will be a 21st century urban retail, entertainment and lifestyle destination. The new Chicago icon will feature approximately 400,000 square feet of retail, entertainment and dining offerings; 200,000 to 450,000 square feet of office space; a 200- to 300-room hotel; a 200- to 300-unit residential tower; and a state-of-the-art CTA transit station providing service to and from Chicago’s O’Hare and Midway airports. 108 North State Street will offer something for everyone on a 24/7 basis.

About The Mills Corporation

The Mills Corporation is a self-managed real estate investment trust (REIT) based in Arlington, Va. that owns, develops, leases, manages and/or markets a portfolio of 41 retail and entertainment destinations totaling approximately 51 million square feet. Currently, the company has six projects under construction or development around the world. The company's Internet address is www.themills.com.

About WBBM-TV/CBS 2 Chicago

WBBM-TV/CBS 2 Chicago is part of the Viacom Television Stations Group, which consists of 39 stations.

For the past two years CBS 2 has been recognized as “the Best Newscast in the State” by the Illinois Associated Press." In 2004, the station garnered 9 Emmy Awards for its news, investigative and programming efforts, more than any other local news station in the market. WBBM-TV has a proud history of community and public service for more than fifty years in Chicago. In 1960, the station was the host of the first historic Kennedy/Nixon debates from the studios at 630 N. McClurg Court. And, in 2005 the station produced and broadcast the City's first live, high definition entertainment program.

In addition, the station is an active partner in many civic and community events, such as the LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon, the Y-ME Mother's Day Race Against Breast Cancer and the media sponsor of Chicago's Navy Pier, the largest tourist destination in Illinois.

(© MMV, CBS Broadcasting Inc., All Rights Reserved.)

http://www.108northstatestreet.com/

http://cbs2chicago.com/video
and search for "state street"
and "block 37"

Eddie, what are you getting at? It's doubtful that a Dish 1000 will be required for ANY HD locals...just nationals. And then, not in all areas...NY and Boston are at 61.5, probably many others. Most of the rest will come from 110.

M Sparks said:
Eddie, what are you getting at? It's doubtful that a Dish 1000 will be required for ANY HD locals...just nationals. And then, not in all areas...NY and Boston are at 61.5, probably many others. Most of the rest will come from 110.

Yeah, that is why they are launching before EchoStar 10 is launched and operating. They will come from that phantom satellite at 110 west, NOT.

Are the Boston HD Locals MPEG4 still up on 61.5 in Engineering Mode?

Seems to be some confusion of the locals that will be turned up on Feb 1st.

P.S. No, I can not get locals with "rabbit ears" ..... or with a 100 foot tower for that matter.

I spoke with Dish Tech last night. They said a bulletin they received says that only the new HD channels will be up on Feb 1. LA and NY network locals are supposed to go up on Feb 2 if every thing goes right. Atlanta, Boston and Chicago will go up sometime after that.

Strikeldr said:
I spoke with Dish Tech last night. They said a bulletin they received says that only the new HD channels will be up on Feb 1. LA and NY network locals are supposed to go up on Feb 2 if every thing goes right. Atlanta, Boston and Chicago will go up sometime after that.
I wonder 2 things.
Since so few have MPEG4 receivers yet, will NY & LA HD LiLs possibly start in MPEG2 ?
Since it's the same station, will they let subs that legally get the analog as DNS from those cities get the HD feeds too ?

sorry walt but remember on previous chats dish seems to think they have to wait until July to offer HD distant service, so I don't think they plan on offering the rest of the networks for you...

BFG said:
sorry walt but remember on previous chats dish seems to think they have to wait until July to offer HD distant service, so I don't think they plan on offering the rest of the networks for you...

Yea I know Bryan, sigh....I think I'm getting desperate and trying to fantasize a back door way to the Superbowl in HD.:rolleyes:

Hey guys, new to the forum. Thanks to Google for finding this place. Anyway, does anyone have any idea when Atlanta will get HD Locals? I'm probably S.O.L, but I'm really wanting the Super Bowl in HD again this year. I just switched from Charter to Dish because Dish told me Atlanta would have HD Locals Febuary 1st. Now I'm reading it's shortly after..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)