New HD receiver tomorrow - and a few questions for today...

Brodieb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Maryville, MO
I am having a second HD receiver installed tomorrow and had a few questions for you guys.

#1) The TV is an older one with no HDMI - does Dish supply a component cable (RGB for video and RW for audio) or do I need to get one?

#2) I was signed up for HBO and Showtime for free for 3 months - if I record something from one of these channels and do not watch it will it still be there after I cancel or does it go away with the channel? I do not plan to keep them after the 3 free months are over.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

The installer will probably, more than likely, come with a component cable. To be safe, go buy one then take it back if not needed.

After canceling the premiums, your recordings will be safe.

At various times and for some people, Dish has supplied component a triple cable (red, green and blue). To almost all new installs they give one composite and audio cable (red, white, and yellow). In a pinch you can get by using a composite cable for component and a second for the sound. A composite for 3 to 6 feet will not ruin the signal but prefer the better yellow coax for use as Y. After you have figured out what you need to buy, go to Monoprice for one of the better prices. Others recommend BlueJeans(?). Try to group your purchases to reduce shipping. For short distance just about anything will work, just match the color on the chassis using your own code and remember it.

BTW, the green cable's signal name is Y for luminance and the red and blue are Pr and Pb for colors with luminance subtracted. Not to be confused with red for right audio. Sorry for going pedantic.

If you have a DVI connector on that TV use a DVI-HDMI adapter and HDMI cable or possibly a cable changer. That still needs the audio.

I have not seen any premiums expire but PPV and/or VOD do.

-Ken

Thanks for the replies - I have my kids SD tv hooked up with a good quality component cable for the regular DVD player - I will just switch it out with a composite cable and use the good one on the HDTV.

I have DVI on the Tv but it is used for an HD DVD player (and future 2nd Blu Ray player). I use component for my DVR upstairs and it looks the exact same as HDMI to my eyes.

Glad to hear the HBO and Showtime will last - I will probably record a ton of movies these next 3 months and save it for later in the summer when network TV is a waste land of reruns and reality TV.

My receiver came with an HDMI, component, and composite cables. YMMV. The difference in PQ is negligible (to me) when deciding between hdmi and component.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)