New HD this week?

mikesd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Any buzz on whether we still have a chance for some new HD this week or are we pretty well done until next Wed. :(

It doesn't look good for any new HD this week from E*.

All I know is my cable co keeps adding more HD channels all the time. This month they added History-HD, National Geo-HD, and CNN-HD.

When my term is up with E* at the end of the year I may have to switch back to cable.

Smallwood - DISH already has 2 of the 3 HD channels you have listed as being added on cable. Unless your cable company has a whole lot more than CNN-HD, and they have a kick-butt HD DVR that can beat out the 622 (and I doubt that)...why would you move back? Again, just curious.

Smallwood - DISH already has 2 of the 3 HD channels you have listed as being added on cable. Unless your cable company has a whole lot more than CNN-HD, and they have a kick-butt HD DVR that can beat out the 622 (and I doubt that)...why would you move back? Again, just curious.

Because I already have their Internet and Digital Phone service so I will get a huge bundle discount if I add their Digital TV package. They also carry my local PBS-HD content that I can't get OTA because the stupid management at OETA decided to give their HD programming to Cox and just multicast 4 SD channels 98% of the time.

It doesn't look good for any new HD this week from E*.

All I know is my cable co keeps adding more HD channels all the time. This month they added History-HD, National Geo-HD, and CNN-HD.

When my term is up with E* at the end of the year I may have to switch back to cable.

I'm afraid your probably right. Although getting a few more channels up and running to counteract D* wave of new channels is what we all want, I think E* is underestimating the frustration their customers are feeling because of their silence. It's leaving a bad taste in a lot of customers mouths that could cost them in the future as other providers catch up or leaves E* in the dust. Never a smart move to give your customers a reason to lose their loyalty to you. :confused:

I think E* is underestimating the frustration their customers are feeling because of their silence. :

Personally, I think that alot of folks here are overestimating their importance to E*. We are less than 1/10 of 1% of the E Customers. Most of my customers don't know or even care about E* adding an HD Channel.. Many don't even understand HD at all..

I am not ready to jump ship yet to the D* bandwagon. E* will add these channels. I have my own timeline. I will not jump ship and then find out that E* added these channels by the end of November. Any movement costs money and right now, I am willing to wait it out. Now I will not wait two or three years that will be insane. I will give them 2-3 months the most. After that it will be anybody's game.

Personally, I think that alot of folks here are overestimating their importance to E*. We are less than 1/10 of 1% of the E Customers. Most of my customers don't know or even care about E* adding an HD Channel.. Many don't even understand HD at all..

I dont buy your 1/10 of 1%. Is the number small? Yes, i'm thinking it's more in the 15% range.

Honesly, I think it depends where you are. I recently moved from a very rural area to more of a suburbanish country area. Location #1 could care less about HD... Most were lucky if they could afford to maintain their trailer. Location #2 is more upscale. I think most of the Dish installs are HD (according to an installer I spoke with).

I agree 100%. However, I do believe that Dish needs to take a long-term approach to HD programming. Many customers will eventually add HD televisions to their homes(If they have not already) and as more channels are available, many will upgrade to an HD receiver. Like Direct TV, the new satellites will allow Dish to offer an extensive line-up of HD programming. However, until that happens, they have very limited capacity to expand their current HD line-up(6-12 channels?) so it becomes critically important that they make good choices. Direct TV is adding alot of new HD programming.....and it is very exciting for their customers......but many of the channels are simply not very compelling in terms on new and original HD programming.

I agree Mark, it is a small percentage of customers that care enough to spend time on the satellite forums but we are the anal ones that are willing to put out $130 + a month for their HD service. Being somewhat early adopters we are also in the position to give family members, friends, and co-workers advice on which company is the best to go with as HD continues to grow. I am sticking with E* as I have enjoyed their superior HD for the past year, but the future who knows.

I have Cox for phone and internet in SW Oklahoma City and have dish for television I left Cox because they drop ABC and didn't have Fox. They now have got both ABC and Fox in HD. I can pick up OETA off the air. Dish HD is better then COXHD. I can saved money if I go back to cox and get th bundle savings. But sometimes better service and quality cost more. And I will never go back to cox for television.

I am not ready to jump ship yet to the D* bandwagon. E* will add these channels. I have my own timeline. I will not jump ship and then find out that E* added these channels by the end of November. Any movement costs money and right now, I am willing to wait it out. Now I will not wait two or three years that will be insane. I will give them 2-3 months the most. After that it will be anybody's game.

I agree, I am getting sick of everyone whining about D* adding all of these channels recently. I would like some of them but it's not that big of a deal, I have been enjoying a lot more HD channels for a lot longer than any D* subscriber so what could I possibly complain about?

Right now it seems to be a game of leapfrog but eventually it will probably end up that both providers will have about the same number of HD channels with each one having a few that the other doesn't have - in other words just like both providers are with their SD programming right now.

Cable channels all digitial?

I have Cox for phone and internet in SW Oklahoma City and have dish for television I left Cox because they drop ABC and didn't have Fox. They now have got both ABC and Fox in HD. I can pick up OETA off the air. Dish HD is better then COXHD. I can saved money if I go back to cox and get th bundle savings. But sometimes better service and quality cost more. And I will never go back to cox for television.

They can bundle all they want, but TWC here in the buffalo area, still is not giving you all digital. So is that little bit of savings worth it when they bundle? Espcially when 70 or so of those channels are not digital, much alone HD. So I pay TWC $42 a month for internet and then get my TV from E*, and the cost is about the same if I bundled with TWC, but there is no comparison with the quality.

They can bundle all they want, but TWC here in the buffalo area, still is not giving you all digital. So is that little bit of savings worth it when they bundle? Espcially when 70 or so of those channels are not digital, much alone HD. So I pay TWC $42 a month for internet and then get my TV from E*, and the cost is about the same if I bundled with TWC, but there is no comparison with the quality.

In my area Cox is planning to drop all analog in the near future and go completely digital. They have been investing a lot in infrastructure in my area. I saw them running fiber in all of the neighborhoods around me all summer long. Shortly after that was when they upped everyones internet speed drastically. They have added 6 new HD channels in the last month or so.
They used to not have but only about 10 HD channels. That was why I switched to satellite in the first place was for more HD programming.

In my area Cox is planning to drop all analog in the near future and go completely digital.
I'm not sure cable is aware the hit they will take by dropping analog. The only reason I have it along with Dish is because of the 6 TVs with analog tuners where everyone gets to pick there own program. I think there are millions of households like mine.

With digital only cable either they give you a pile of free STBs or the customers have to find TVs with QAM tuners. Those exist and will become the rule rather than the exception but right now there are most likely 100+ million analog TVs that either get junked or need STBs that somebody has to pay for.

When that happens the DBS operators will have a golden chance to point out to folks that all long as they have to have a box on all their TVs they may as will make it a DBS box. At that point if they have more channels and a better price and locals, cable will have to fight to keep every customer.

If the cable operators are smart, they will make use of Broadlogic's TeraPix. See: :: BroadLogic Network Technologies ::BroadLogic WideBand

If its cheap enough in mass quantities, cable could just shut off all analog and the consumers would never know about it as the household would still be fed a full analog lineup as well as many digital and hd channels.

It appears that Charter cable here is about to start ADS, and they still have plenty of room for more HD (they just dont add it at the speed I would like). We have 19 HD channels here right now, and there is room for about 20 more HD channel additions without channels being bit-starved.

But with the TeraPix, or equivalent unit, cable wont lose any customers in a digital-only world, as all those analog tuners will continue to work perfect, and actually will have a much better picture quality, since the channels will only be analog for the distance of wiring inside the customer premise.

Very interesting. I think you're right about it depending on price.

And one other thing I didn't think of is this program to essentially give away HD to SD STB converters that the FCC has apparently mandated. But even with these DBS should have an entry because folks would still "have do something" so "why not step up to something better?"

I agree, I am getting sick of everyone whining about D* adding all of these channels recently. I would like some of them but it's not that big of a deal, I have been enjoying a lot more HD channels for a lot longer than any D* subscriber so what could I possibly complain about?

Right now it seems to be a game of leapfrog but eventually it will probably end up that both providers will have about the same number of HD channels with each one having a few that the other doesn't have - in other words just like both providers are with their SD programming right now.

With the exception of VOOM (a whole different discussion), about half of the other HD channels were only added in the past 3 months or so - just to keep that part of the record straight.

Very interesting. I think you're right about it depending on price.

And one other thing I didn't think of is this program to essentially give away HD to SD STB converters that the FCC has apparently mandated. But even with these DBS should have an entry because folks would still "have do something" so "why not step up to something better?"
Why would the FCC mandate HD to SD boxes? They have done no such thing.

I think you mean digital to analog converters.

I dont buy your 1/10 of 1%. Is the number small? Yes, i'm thinking it's more in the 15% range.

Honesly, I think it depends where you are. I recently moved from a very rural area to more of a suburbanish country area. Location #1 could care less about HD... Most were lucky if they could afford to maintain their trailer. Location #2 is more upscale. I think most of the Dish installs are HD (according to an installer I spoke with).

My quote had to do with members on this forum being the 1/10 of 1%. Not the overall amount of HD customers. We are the ones that are on top of things..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts