New HDTV reveals 722 Problem

SpaceCase

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
usa
So I upgraded to a 46" 1080P Sharp LCD, and after calibrating on BluRay with DVE, when watching Dish on my 722, the image is shifted down on the screen. It is shifted enough to reveal the junk above the SD feeds. I confirmed this using the HDNEt test pattern. It showed line 4 on the bottom, and more than all on top. Is there any way to set the position output from the 722? BTW this is HDMI.

_Space

So I upgraded to a 46" 1080P Sharp LCD, and after calibrating on BluRay with DVE, when watching Dish on my 722, the image is shifted down on the screen. It is shifted enough to reveal the junk above the SD feeds. I confirmed this using the HDNEt test pattern. It showed line 4 on the bottom, and more than all on top. Is there any way to set the position output from the 722? BTW this is HDMI.

_Space

You are supposed to calibrate every input to the source it's assigned to and/or use user settings adjusted to the source for each source.

You are supposed to calibrate every input to the source it's assigned to and/or use user settings adjusted to the source for each source.

To clarify, the 722 input was calibrated using the DVE Blu-Ray. The TV is set to Dot by Dot which does not allow me to position the image using the TV. I have tried PS3 games, Blu-Ray through the PS3, and Blu-Ray through a borrowed player without a problem. When I plug in the 722, the image moves down enough to cut off the bottom portion of the image and a black line shows on top of the image. In SD this is enough to show the noise at the top.

I can use a stretch mode on the tv that allows for tv positioning to correct the image being too low, but then it essentially overscans and I lose the outside edge of the screen. I have not yet tried a 1080P movie on the 722 to see if it is replicated yet.

-Space :(

I don't think the 722 outputs 1920 x 1080. I think it may be 1440 x 1080 or even 1280 x 1080. That may be the problem.

You are confusing the encoding with the playback.

It's the job of the 722s Broadcom decoder to correct for the rectangular pixels when playing back 1440 or 1280x1080 encoding on output.

To clarify, the 722 input was calibrated using the DVE Blu-Ray.

Yeah, I got it the first time. The correct way to setup the 722's input (I wouldn't call using DVE calibrating) is to record the HDNet test patterns and use them.

Calibrating using the DVE blu-ray is great, but it isn't the same device.

The TV is set to Dot by Dot which does not allow me to position the image using the TV. I have tried PS3 games, Blu-Ray through the PS3, and Blu-Ray through a borrowed player without a problem.

Yep, they are all blu-ray players. What they aren't is your 722.

When I plug in the 722, the image moves down enough to cut off the bottom portion of the image and a black line shows on top of the image.

I don't know what the options are on your TV, but it sounds like you need to use something besides Dot by Dot.

In SD this is enough to show the noise at the top.

That's not noise, it's the closed captioning data that transfers in the video blanking mode.

I can use a stretch mode on the tv that allows for tv positioning to correct the image being too low, but then it essentially overscans and I lose the outside edge of the screen. I have not yet tried a 1080P movie on the 722 to see if it is replicated yet.

What other options are available?

Your problem is a common one experienced by many HDTV users when using the "dot for dot" or Full Pixel feature on your television, but it is not unique to Dish. This is a consequence of using the Full Pixel settings and every HDTV manufacturer I know of directly addresses this shortcoming and recommends what?

. . . In such cases, switch your TV to the "Standard" (really overscan) mode.

This is more a problem with providers than Dish or any cable or satellite company. I've seen it on OTA's directly connected to HDTV's. Most people couldn't tell the difference between a good overscan mode and the Pixel for Pixel mode. These problems are currently the compromise for enjoying the least processed Pixel for Pixel display.

I use the Full Pixel on my TV with the 722, and it only has the data visible (the snowy what line) or any other problem on some SD commercials that are aired. It doesn't appear that often. Your TV should have some relatively fine adjustments regarding the positioning of the image on screen to compensate for your trouble and move the data "off screen". If not, poor manufacturer. That is why the HDTV manufacturers default their TV's in the overscan mode because in dot for dot you WILL see problems via television programming.

That's not noise, it's the closed captioning data that transfers in the video blanking mode.

Cool...I learned something new :)

Thanks for the help everyone. It looks as though until Dish gives us the ability to adjust the output of the 722, I will use the overscan mode of the TV and adjust the position up.

-Space

On my Samsung I set it to just scan (dot for dot) and adjust the whole picture up a few pixels. Don't know if the Sharp menus have the same option.

To clarify, the 722 input was calibrated using the DVE Blu-Ray. The TV is set to Dot by Dot which does not allow me to position the image using the TV. I have tried PS3 games, Blu-Ray through the PS3, and Blu-Ray through a borrowed player without a problem. When I plug in the 722, the image moves down enough to cut off the bottom portion of the image and a black line shows on top of the image. In SD this is enough to show the noise at the top.

-Space :(
Dot by Dot works great for me on my Sharp Aquos with a 722 receiver (HDMI). I think the others are on to something with the comments about calibrating it with the 722 directly.

And you probably won't be able to try a 1080P movie on the 722 because it requires an HDTV that uses 24 fps, and the Sharp model most likely uses 60fps only. You can do a test without buying it on 'Eagle Eye' this month - but my quess is that it won't work and the screen will go black during the test. There is no work around for this now.

Dot by Dot works great for me on my Sharp Aquos with a 722 receiver (HDMI). I think the others are on to something with the comments about calibrating it with the 722 directly.

And you probably won't be able to try a 1080P movie on the 722 because it requires an HDTV that uses 24 fps, and the Sharp model most likely uses 60fps only. You can do a test without buying it on 'Eagle Eye' this month - but my quess is that it won't work and the screen will go black during the test. There is no work around for this now.

Interesting...I tried the 1080P test with Eagle Eye a few days ago, and it still asked me if I wanted to rent (I thought I passed the test). Now Eagle Eye is not showing up on 501. Is this because I failed the test, or did I miss the opportunity to rent? Also my Sharp does not allow adjusting the picture up in Dot by Dot mode, only stretch. I wish dish would allow for adjustments! :D

-Space

ETA: Just verified that the set will indeed do 1080p/24 by switching my ps3 output to this mode for test. The display read 1080p 24Hz!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)