TV2 HD OTA and vip-722

spinnell71

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
San Diego
I have TV2 hooked up to upstairs bedroom VCR/projector where mainly my wife watches TV in SD (480i). I would like to get OTA HD instead of buying another Dish receiver (maybe I'll buy another DISH receiver in May with annual upgrade). Anyway, I bought a Toshiba DR560 1080p Upconverting DVD Recorder with Built-in Tuner. Not sure how this will work but I was thinking of hooking it inline to the Toshiba coax input for RF to HDMI conversion (projector doesn not have coax input). I'm not sure how to get HD OTA. Maybe I have to buy an antenna and splitter both to go directly into Toshiba coax input. I am a newbie any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

Do you already have an antenna hooked into your 722 and do you still wish to access the 722 from the bedroom?

theDR560 has no HD tuner, only a digital tuner

Does this mean I will not get true HD 1080 but something like 720??

Do you already have an antenna hooked into your 722 and do you still wish to access the 722 from the bedroom?

I do not believe I have an OTA antenna hooked into 722. Can I hook up one and watch OTA HD up in bedroom TV2?

Can I hook up one and watch OTA HD up in bedroom TV2?
The 722 has 3 HD tuners: 1 satellite and 1 OTA (ATSC) controllable via the TV1 remote, and another satellite tuner controllable by the TV2 remote. There is a peculiarity in the firmware. You cannot control the OTA tuner nor view any channel in real time on the TV2 output. You are forced into setting up a recording on TV1. :( Only when a recording is in progress or completed can you view it from TV2.

Note that the TV2 outputs are SD-only. When playing back HD content, it will be downconverted to SD.

The 722 has 3 HD tuners: 1 satellite and 1 OTA (ATSC) controllable via the TV1 remote, and another satellite tuner controllable by the TV2 remote. There is a peculiarity in the firmware. You cannot control the OTA tuner nor view any channel in real time on the TV2 output. You are forced into setting up a recording on TV1. :( Only when a recording is in progress or completed can you view it from TV2.

Note that the TV2 outputs are SD-only. When playing back HD content, it will be downconverted to SD.

Perhaps we can state this a little differently. The ViP722 has 2 satellite tuners and one ATSC (digital) OTA tuner. These inputs are completely independent of the TV1 and TV2 outputs. Your TV2 remote can watch any satellite program or DVR program, when the box is in dual mode. In single mode, everything is available to TV1. But since all outputs are live at the same time, you could run coax or other cable to a second or third TV.

Yes, if you want to watch an OTA program on TV2 while in dual mode, you have to start recording that OTA program using TV1's remote. But the moment it starts recording, you can watch it from TV2 simply by accessing the stored program. A few seconds delay at most.

To get an OTA program on the ViP722, you only need to plug in an antenna on the TV antenna in coax. You might get by with indoor rabbit ears. No external box is needed.

theDR560 has no HD tuner, only a digital tuner

Does this mean I will not get true HD 1080 but something like 720??

/QUOTE]

One thing 720 is a high def format and the digital tuner is ATSC so if the channel is broadcasting an HD program and you are connected via hdmi or component to an hdtv or monitor, then you will see it in HD, if not then it will downconvert to an sd resolution of 480i.

You will need an antenna connection to the 2nd tv, you can not get an HD signal from the 722 via the TV 2 out.

You will not get ANY 720p or 1080i through your Toshiba. The pass-through is limited to 480p. It will only upconvert DVD's.

Man that sucks. So basically if I understand correctly, I can only get 480 thru my dish 722 tv2. Even if I connect Toshiba for OTA it will only get OTA digital 480 not HD (720). Darn I was hoping to get a better signal for my Optoma 720 projector.

Upgrade to a 211k, they are like 25 bucks for a lease upgrade if you can install it yourself 75 if you need it installed and then add your own external hard drive to it. Pay dish the one time 40 dollar software activation fee and instant hd dvr with no dvr fee.

Unfortunatly, I cannot upgrade until May 2009. So I was looking for any possible way to get a better signal to my Optoma HD 720 projector.

Do you think the signal from Toshiba tuner OTA will be same or any better than Dish TV2 SD???

Also, what does upconvert mean??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)