New here ?? on archiving

sandbarbum

Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Hello to all, I tried a search for this, but found nothing so I'll ask. When I ordered my 522 I asked about archiving recorded items to my computer so I could burn them to DVD. They told me to go to my radio shack and they would know. Well wouldn't you know . . . they don't. Could some one please shed some light on this for me. Thank you in advance
Kevin

From what I understand, you CAN'T upload them to your computer. The only way to archive it on DVD is with a standalone recorder and the video-out from the 522.
Though I'm sure you can bypass that and figure out a way to work it onto the computer...

Well I guess I will have to play with it a little. There has to be some way with the USB port on the back and all. Thanks for the reply.
Kevin

To clarify, there's no direct transfer method. But you can 'play' from it while 'recording' on your computer with the right hardware (video capture card, suitable sound card).

The closest you can come to a direct transfer (off a 522) is with a sound card that has optical digital audio input (they do exist). Video will still be digital-to-analog then analog-to-digital, and the audio will be compressed then decompressed then compressed again, but it will be at least very close to the original pre-compressed audio stream from the uplink station.

If there ever is such a thing as a DVI-input video capture card, you could get an HD DVR and get even closer.

everything tuxcoder said is correct. i recommend the ATI All in wonder video cards if you are lookign for an all in one solution. elswise there are tons of good possiblities. But the usb ports are inactive for the record.

sandbarbum, first off, welcome to Satelliteguys.us!!

Without hacking the 522 (that isn't even allowed to be discussed on this site), the best way right now would be to hook up a DVD burner or VCR to the 522. You can, like TuxCoder said, use a video capture card to record it on your computer and, sounds like your DVD burner is on your computer, burn it that way.

USB on the back is suposed to be for future expansion. For stuff like Internet, or adding a Keyboard to make searching easier.

I have seen the USB port used on the 522 when I saw the Media Concept displayed at Team Summit. With this it was possible to put one of those pocket USB memory sticks in and copy music and pictures to your 522, and play them back on your 522. I do hope they are still working on that, it was a great feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)