new home

Status
Please reply by conversation.

atattention

Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Hartburg, Texas
I am building a new small home due to the last 3 hurricanes here in Texas!! I have ran RG 6 to the living room and the bedroom in a dual pair and to the extra bedroom as a single cable. Also there is cat 5e phone/modem cable to each place plus an extra cat 5e cable from my bedroom to my computer station. There is a ground rod provided for the satellite and phone outside. I have to mount a HD direct TV dish on a post or preferably a beam outside, since my insurance will not allow me to mount it to my new home. can some one tell me what size beam to use and how high, example 4x6. I know 2 inch thin wall pipe will move to much in our winds. Help please before my dry wall goes up and i have my land regraded.

I am building a new small home due to the last 3 hurricanes here in Texas!! I have ran RG 6 to the living room and the bedroom in a dual pair and to the extra bedroom as a single cable. Also there is cat 5e phone/modem cable to each place plus an extra cat 5e cable from my bedroom to my computer station. There is a ground rod provided for the satellite and phone outside. I have to mount a HD direct TV dish on a post or preferably a beam outside, since my insurance will not allow me to mount it to my new home. can some one tell me what size beam to use and how high, example 4x6. I know 2 inch thin wall pipe will move to much in our winds. Help please before my dry wall goes up and i have my land regraded.
well a 4x6 should do just fine I would go with an 8ft, 4ft in 4ft out. I would use about 80lbs of concrete, but if I remember correctlly from class it should be 150 lbs. your choice. the only downfall to a post is over time it will bend,bow,crack, and or break.

I'd use a 4" piece of pipe set with at least two (preferably 3) 80lb bags of concrete and then fill the 4" pipe with more wet concrete and tap the 2" pipe into the wet concrete. Then use some wood wedges to plumb the 2" pipe. Leave enough of the 2" pipe sticking out to mount the dish to. I'm pretty sure if any wind strong enough to make that move comes along, you better get a call into Dorothy and her little dog...

I wouldnt use wood because as the last guy said, its going to torque or bend on you and it wont take more than a couple of years to do it.

An alternative to filling the 4" pipe with concrete is to find about 5 pieces of pipe that each fit into each other with the 2" in the middle. Cut the 2" longer than the other and slide each one into the 4" pipe once its set in the ground, little bit of epoxy brushed on the outside of each one.

The 4" pipe to 2" is a good idea. It will certainly make it strong. The only other thing I would suggest is to drill two holes horizontally about 6" from the bottom of the pipe. Slip a bolt or a short piece of rebar through the holes before you set the post in the hole and fill it with concrete. This will keep the pole from turning once the concrete has set.

The 4" pipe to 2" is a good idea. It will certainly make it strong. The only other thing I would suggest is to drill two holes horizontally about 6" from the bottom of the pipe. Slip a bolt or a short piece of rebar through the holes before you set the post in the hole and fill it with concrete. This will keep the pole from turning once the concrete has set.
that or hammer it flat

I may have some 3 inch pipe and could take out the welding machine and weld some angle iron clips on the bottoem in places that go into the concrete. is the pipe on top schedule 40 2 inch, which is 2 3/8 inch OD or is it some thing else? Now I think I must have a clear line of site from 124 Degrees to 90 degrees. My zip code is 77614. I also could go 6 to 8 feet our of the ground so as not to have some children mess with the dish. Thanks for all your help so far. Dave

On the lighter side: I am sure I saw Dorthy go by during hurricane Rita and her dog Toto during Hurricane Ike ! I will have to resort to welding as hammering flat oil field drill pipe might be more than I could manage-grinning.

A few well-placed weld beads will keep the pipe from spinning in concrete; you don't need to put cleats on it. It is usually much easier to put in a through-bolt in or mash the end.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)