New Hopper 3 install and a couple of questions

seaofblue

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
Dish TV install went smooth this morning. I had a Hopper 3 and two joeys (one wired one wireless) installed. So far, I am very pleased but I do have a couple of questions. I can not access live tv channels on DA (fire stick 4K) just only demand stuff. It tells me that either the Hopper or device is not connected. This is with Ethernet. I remove the Ethernet and go with my wireless connection I have no issue and I am able to access live tv with DA. Am I doing something wrong or missing something? And also, is there any benefit of plugging Ethernet into a wired Joey? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Dish TV install went smooth this morning. I had a Hopper 3 and two joeys (one wired one wireless) installed. So far, I am very pleased but I do have a couple of questions. I can not access live tv channels on DA (fire stick 4K) just only demand stuff. It tells me that either the Hopper or device is not connected. This is with Ethernet. I remove the Ethernet and go with my wireless connection I have no issue and I am able to access live tv with DA. Am I doing something wrong or missing something? And also, is there any benefit of plugging Ethernet into a wired Joey? Thanks

One thing I'd try before you switch back to Ethernet is on your remote, press the home button 3 times, then press 2 for Network, 7 for Internet Settings, then press Info +Recall and clear internet settings, then connect ethernet and let it connect.

Also, others have not had issues, but I find DA on my Firestick 4K to be abysmal. It lags, buffers and just gives me nothing but problems

Reactions: seaofblue
One thing I'd try before you switch back to Ethernet is on your remote, press the home button 3 times, then press 2 for Network, 7 for Internet Settings, then press Info +Recall and clear internet settings, then connect ethernet and let it connect.

Also, others have not had issues, but I find DA on my Firestick 4K to be abysmal. It lags, buffers and just gives me nothing but problems

My fire stick works really well. I will try what you mentioned above. It’s not a big deal using the WiFi I was just wondering. And do you know if there is any benefits of plugging Ethernet directly into the wired Joey?

My fire stick works really well. I will try what you mentioned above. It’s not a big deal using the WiFi I was just wondering. And do you know if there is any benefits of plugging Ethernet directly into the wired Joey?

There shouldn't be an Ethernet connection to the Joey for Internet, it gets its internet from the Hopper.

Yes, and I don't have mine connected. So, why is there an Ethernet jack on the Joey? When/why would it be used?

I have both MoCA and Ethernet connected to my Joey3's. The Hopper is not set up to forward. The tech set it up for me this way and I always thought that is best assuming the Joey can use a direct connection. Netflix app for example.

I was thinking maybe it was for cases where the person who uses the Hopper doesn't want it connected to the internet (paranoid about Dish spying on them?) but the Joey user still wants to watch VOD. While the Joey could pull internet from the Hopper's internet connection (if the Hopper is connected to internet) I don't think it would work in reverse, with the Hopper connecting to the internet through the Joey's ethernet connection. I could be wrong, though.

Just a point to chime in, is Dish planning on coming out with a more capable Joey? The Joey 2 that I have is years old. Just modern hardware and memory could make this 10 times better.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay
Just a point to chime in, is Dish planning on coming out with a more capable Joey? The Joey 2 that I have is years old. Just modern hardware and memory could make this 10 times better.

Already have it's called the Joey 3. Been available for several years now.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: HipKat
Already have it's called the Joey 3. Been available for several years now.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
A quick read showed that other than being faster, the Joey 3 wouldn't buy much. Even the 4K Joey doesn't allows Netflix 4K content yet. And no Amazon Prime. So if I got a 4K set I don't know of I'd change even then. Maybe if it was a straight swap cost wise is all.

Reactions: pattykay
You won’t find it on your Joeys. It’s an Amazon decision based on the audio capabilities of Joeys. You should see it on your H3 though.
I hadn't seen that before. (I haven't read much about the Amazon Prime app, since I don't have it.) What specifically do the Joeys not do, audio-wise, that makes them ineligible? Does this also explain why the Amazon Prime app is not on the Wally?

Reactions: TheKrell
I hadn't seen that before. (I haven't read much about the Amazon Prime app, since I don't have it.) What specifically do the Joeys not do, audio-wise, that makes them ineligible? Does this also explain why the Amazon Prime app is not on the Wally?
If I remember correctly Amazon wants Dolby Digital + and the Joey is incapable of that.

After playing around with the equipment for a few days, for the most part I like it. Is there anyway of setting timers for shows that aren’t airing new shows right now but will in the fall? Example would be like Manifest on nbc or curse of oak island on the history channel? I know I can find the past episodes on demand but can I set up a timer for new future episodes?

II believe only shows in the guide can be recorded.

I don't know what others experience is. If I look at the episodes option when I finish an episode on the DVR, the only episodes I see are the ones I recorded. But if I instead use search for the the same title, I am also presented with On Demand episodes I don't have. That's is, if they are available On Demand. That is as hit or miss as finding a series is currently on Netflix or Hulu, it depends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)