New Hopper 3 install - HDMI issues

Cold Irons

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 7, 2005
Fredericksburg, VA
Just moved to a new house, so did a Dish move with DIRT's help (Thanks Speedy!). Matt from DIRT set it all up, the Dish tech did a great job on the install, including going into the crawl space & fishing wires up to my opening in the drywall. Managed to place the Hopper 3 in the living room & a Joey in the upstairs den without any wall holes or any visible wiring. Probably could not have had a better installation experience.

However, after using the system for a day or so, started noticing an HDMI problem - it appears from the TV that there is no HDMI connection. This usually happens when we first turn on the TV & Hopper 3, but only occasionally, not always. We've also seen it happen a few time while we were just listening to the Pandora App - suddenly no sound & the message from the TV that there is no HDMI connection.

The quick fix is to pull & re-connect the HDMI cable - always fixes it - but obviously not a solution. The TV has 4 HDMI ports, and I've tried 3 different HDMI cables on these ports, but it still happens. The TV is a Samsung UHD/4K series 6500 (2015 model). Has anyone had similar problems? I'm assuming a receiver swap out is my only option?

Did you try to get another hdmi cable ? I had two of my older hdmi cables fail on my tv this week before I switched out to my hopper 3 last Saturday.

Sounds like a communication problem between TV and Receiver. Have you tried tech support to see if there is any known issues with that model TV?

Good point, thanks...I'm checking in here at SatGuys now, but will be contacting Dish once I'm home this afternoon; will ask about the TV model.

Actually...can pull the 42 inch from upstairs & try it for tonight....

Thanks for that suggestion. Just dug down into the menus & found this, turned off the "quick power on" option. Will start a test of Pandora.

I moved my 42-inch Panasonic down to the Hopper 3 & have been using it for a few hours without the problem, so starting to believe it is the (new) Samsung vs. the Hopper. Hope your suggestion is the fix!

So, with the "quick power on" mode turned off on the TV, I haven't yet seen the power off/on HDMI failure problem - but that was only occasional/rare, so will have to wait for longer to be sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

The HDMI failure during Pandora still happens with the new Samsung; can't listen for more than about 15 minutes before losing the connection. Haven't tried Netflix yet. Didn't see either problem happen with my other TV, so have to assume the Hopper is good.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have the same problem with a Samsung Js7000 4K and it happens sporadically. Very annoying. Only started with the h3. Doesn't do it with any other connections. I'll try turning off the instant on that is on by default as well.

Reactions: Tampa8
I also have the same problem, same Samsung UN65JU6500 UHD television. I thought about exchanging out H3 for a different one, thinking my HDMI connection on back of H3 was the problem. I will try the fix today, let me know how it has worked out for you.

Since turning off the "quick power on" mode as suggested by David M, I haven't had ANY problems with this HDMI connection when turning on the equipment. Seems to have fixed that problem. I still lose the HDMI when listening to the Pandora app (every 15 minutes or so). However, the Netflix app seems OK, so maybe just a problem with the Pandora app.

I have the same problem with a Samsung Js7000 4K and it happens sporadically. Very annoying. Only started with the h3. Doesn't do it with any other connections. I'll try turning off the instant on that is on by default as well.
Instant on causes a few problems with my Samsung 4K TV including with Apps, I turned it off soon after getting the TV.

I was also getting a Samsung Extra notice on top right of screen, anybody else having this problem?
By the way a big shout to all the members that addressed the HDMI concern. Thank you very much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)