New Hopper Model?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

natboomer

Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
State College, PA
I did a preliminary search and couldn't find anything on the forum, but if I missed it please don't lambaste me.

So, I'm ready to pull the trigger and upgrade to a Hopper. However, in my search I ended up poking around the FCC site (yes, I already know I'm an incredibly boring person). Anyway, I came across this, which was submitted back in October: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...Frame=N&application_id=403947&fcc_id='DKNX34'

If you look at the test report, it appears to be an updated model Hopper with built in Sling place shifting and 802.11n wireless. Does anyone (cough, cough) have any more info on this thing (you know you want to)? Specifically, are these the only 2 changes or are there other hidden gems/features? Since this was a production sample, the feeling I get is that it will be ready to go soon :rolleyes:.

I don't really need either of those 2 features (though the possibility of an integrated Sling box is a bit intriguing), but I may wait if there is something else worthwhile hidden in there.

Bueller? . . . Bueller?

IMO, this is far more realistic as something that would actually be released by Dish very soon. Excellent find!

From the test report:
The ID:058 is a satellite set-top box incorporating Sling place shifting technology designed to operate as a server in the whole home DVR system. The ID:058 has a RF4CE 2.4GHz Synkro solution to interface to a remote control , a Bluetooth Class 2 transceiver for supported accessories, and an 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi transceiver for connection to the customer’s internet wirelessly. The RF4CE radio is located on the main board and uses a detachable antenna located on the back panel of the set-top box. The Bluetooth transceiver is on a separate PCB that is located within the front panel plastics. The Bluetooth transceiver uses a printed antenna. The 802.11a/b/g/n transceiver is located on the same PCB as the Bluetooth transceiver. The 802.11a/b/g/n transceiver uses two antennas that are attached via U.FL connectors and two different lengths of mini coax cable. These antennas are located within the front bezel assembly.
Removal of the Bluetooth and 802.11a/b/g/n transceivers does not alter the RF characteristics of the
RF4CE transceiver. The ID:058 provides HDMI, Composite and Component A/V outputs as well as
Ethernet, USB and eSATA. For the purposes of this specific test report, the product supports the following data rates in the
5150-5250MHz band:
IEEE 802.11a: 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54Mbps
IEEE 802.11n: MCS0, MCS1, MCS2, MCS3, MCS4, MCS5, MCS6, MCS7
In 802.11n HT20 and 802.11n HT40 modes, the nominal bandwidth is 20MHz and 40MHz respectively.

This is the first I've heard of it, but as stated it's not surprising. The vip922 had Sling internally, it worked but was plagued with inconsistency. The Sling Adapter works well enough but it's an add on. The wireless thing for me is troublesome, not everyone has suitable internet connection to guarantee constant connectivity. I've seen many problems here and elsewhere which eventually were solved by hardwired connections. Then again Dish obviously plays by the numbers.
Thanks for sharing.

Having wireless capabilities seems like a no brainer to me. It would make connecting receivers so much easier for installs.

The cable companies have been running ads for months about how great their wireless systems are. Dish plays the numbers and the numbers must indicate this is the way to go.

It still shows "DPX" at the satelitte input - which would imply 5 or 6 tuners is not going to happen.

It could be argued the current DPX spec allows for a fourth tuner, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I wonder if the manufacturer's cost would be less for one Hopper with 6 tuners vs two Hoppers with 3 tuners each. I believe it may be cheaper if enough units were produced but the demand may not be there to make it worthwhile.

It would be cool if one Hopper stored the timers from the other Hopper then would act as a fail over firing off that timer in case one died.

Built in wireless and built in sling adds to the cost of these receivers. If the features are used often enough and can be put into the receiver cheap enough then it may be worth their while to put them in the receivers.

Built in wireless and built in sling adds to the cost of these receivers. If the features are used often enough and can be put into the receiver cheap enough then it may be worth their while to put them in the receivers.

Wireless makes sense, it can be used as connectivity for most installs, and may net out cheaper built in to all units than using a dongle with many.

Sling I have to wonder about, it's good in concept, its good marketing fodder, but they have never really seemed to make much of it. On the other hand it's essentially a single chip on the board, probably doesn't cost them all that much overall - if it helps swing a few subs their way it may cover the costs.

I would bet this will be the new standard hopper, but I have to wonder if they'll try to monetize the sling, and activation or monthly fee if yu want it enabled.

JM42 said:
Wireless makes sense, it can be used as connectivity for most installs, and may net out cheaper built in to all units than using a dongle with many.

Sling I have to wonder about, it's good in concept, its good marketing fodder, but they have never really seemed to make much of it. On the other hand it's essentially a single chip on the board, probably doesn't cost them all that much overall - if it helps swing a few subs their way it may cover the costs.

I would bet this will be the new standard hopper, but I have to wonder if they'll try to monetize the sling, and activation or monthly fee if yu want it enabled.

They didn't monetize it on the 922 so if they made setting like this I doubt they would charge monthly for it.

Stargazer said:
I wonder if the manufacturer's cost would be less for one Hopper with 6 tuners vs two Hoppers with 3 tuners each. I believe it may be cheaper if enough units were produced but the demand may not be there to make it worthwhile.

It would be cool if one Hopper stored the timers from the other Hopper then would act as a fail over firing off that timer in case one died.

I had one hopper to start with then I added a second. I backed up my timers and settings and moved them over to the new hopper as a fail safe. I only record ptat on one of them and have removed a few duplicate timers, but basically both my hoppers record the same things and I view the events from one hopper then delete them. While my other hopper which is used for live tv viewing and on demand more often than not, has all the shows and movies I want to keep as a back up.

lucky86 said:
They didn't monetize it on the 922 so if they made setting like this I doubt they would charge monthly for it.

I think they monetized it by charging a $10 dvr fee instead of the $6 they charged for other receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm sure they also did that for the larger hard drive size, at least that's what I've been told.

For most of it's life the 922 was both more up front and more monthly. You can slice the pie up any way you want, but in my (very subjective) view the up front cost made up for the base hardware I think most everyone considered the extra $4 the "sling fee."

I doubt they'll have an additional fee, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

Wireless is a bad idea for connectivity of the devices IMO.

Too meant factors outside of their (Dish's) control to make it not work. It would be a support nightmare and you'd have very unhappy customers if Dish couldnt fix an issue due to signal conflicts.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I'd bet most are using wireless as it is now, and it costs more for a separate USB than integrated. WIFi is more than a passing fad :)

Nobody said WiFi is a fad, but some devices are simply more reliable when hard wired. Most devices in my home are hardwired, with only a laptop and phones/tablets using WiFi. My desktop PC, XBox, PS3, Hopper and TV are all hardwired.

Nobody said WiFi is a fad, but some devices are simply more reliable when hard wired. Most devices in my home are hardwired, with only a laptop and phones/tablets using WiFi. My desktop PC, XBox, PS3, Hopper and TV are all hardwired.

Same here, but board members are not average consumers. Wireless is good enough for most, and assuming the built in is probably half or less the cost of the dongle, probably even a smaller percentage of a HIC. They get ahead pretty quickly if wifi becomes the preferred connectivity method.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts