New Hopper Owner- Need Help!!

You will get access to your EHD contents, perhaps as early as tomorrow. And the apps will likely work "soon."

It's a complex system, and as with all programming projects, there will be bugs. However, I agree Dish does seem to have more than their share.

I am quite happy with my 2009 Jetta TDI, thank you.

Seriously Dude? Wow! Not cool at all. You want to defend Dish fine. The Dude has a very valid point. It's a nice machine but it does not do all that it's advertised to do. Some of the complaints with the Hopper have been around for too long here in December of 2013. Software changes should be used for upgrades not fixing oversights and poor engineering.

Seriously Dude? Wow! Not cool at all. You want to defend Dish fine. The Dude has a very valid point. It's a nice machine but it does not do all that it's advertised to do. Some of the complaints with the Hopper have been around for too long here in December of 2013. Software changes should be used for upgrades not fixing oversights and poor engineering.

Just reality. I need to update my BD players and certainly Windows. Even my TV. Certainly it "should" but it is what it is. And it's still darned good.

Some complaints around too long? Yep. No argument there.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I know that issues should not be ignored and Dish needs to fix them or not offer them, I get that. My point is that these are not that big of deal to the whole picture. Maybe I'm just biased because I don't really use any of these extra features that aren't working. Most of them are pretty cool but are the essential to what the Hopper is really meant for? Is having Facebook and Twitter on the Hopper really that important? The only thing I find that is a big deal is the EHD working so people can transfer their old recordings.

What the Hopper is truly meant to do is allow HD programming on multiple TVs and share recordings to all those TVs and that is the main priority here and I feel that it does it very well. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I've had my HWS and 1 Joey for less than 24 hours and so far it IS doing all that it's advertised to do. It would not detect an EHD immediately and I was worried but 10 hours later and it's working no problem. All apps are working as well. Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know. So far I'm loving this thing.

I love the Hopper and Hopper with Sling, BUT since they do advertise the EHD as a major advantage over Direct, It would be nice if it worked as advertised. Mine has been on again off again since JULY 2012.
I am in the middle of upgrading to 2 HWS and can not transfer 600 GB of programming off of each of my old Hoppers.

I need help from the Dish programmers to get er done.

Apparently, with Dish you have to just wait and pray that your paid for services actually work.
When you called Dish for a refund on these services, did they give you any flack ? Just curious, how much did they give you off (or how much of a credit) ? My bill doesn't show an itemized breakdown for these services, so I'm really curious....

I know that issues should not be ignored and Dish needs to fix them or not offer them, I get that. My point is that these are not that big of deal to the whole picture. Maybe I'm just biased because I don't really use any of these extra features that aren't working. Most of them are pretty cool but are the essential to what the Hopper is really meant for? Is having Facebook and Twitter on the Hopper really that important? The only thing I find that is a big deal is the EHD working so people can transfer their old recordings.

What the Hopper is truly meant to do is allow HD programming on multiple TVs and share recordings to all those TVs and that is the main priority here and I feel that it does it very well. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Some folks get really upset when the "extras" don't work, like caller ID. Some people will get furious when that isn't working. It's often a little buggy, and you'd think the only reason folks chose Dish was due to the caller ID, at least based on their complaints.

One of the big issues I have seen with caller ID (just this example, not what the OP was caring about), was when a person has DSL in the house, and the connect the receiver to a phone jack without using a DSL filter.

I know Dish has lots of bugs with the extra stuff they offer but I never notice them because I never use them. To me the most important thing is being able to watch HD programming on all my TVs and being able to view my recordings everywhere. If caller ID didn't work, oh well, just get a phone that has caller ID. I know you'd have to get up to look but I just don't see that as a big deal.

These are just my opinions of course. Sometimes I just think too many people make the really little things way too important in their lives.

Hey guys,

Thought I would give you an update. My EHD showed up 2 days later as some of you predicted. I am still waiting for a fix to some of the apps on my main tv, but all the apps. work on my bedroom tv.

The Hopper is an awesome machine. I like everything about it. I didn't even know about the home media capabilities, I found that by accident, it was a nice bonus.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Tim

I am still waiting for a fix to some of the apps on my main tv, but all the apps. work on my bedroom tv.
A fair number of new hook-ups with Hoppers are reporting this same issue... I'm suspecting it's a bug in the current s/w (S418 for the original Hopper, not sure on the Hopper w/ Sling). A couple of people have waited 5-10 days and no change. On my Hopper install, it took 2-3 days tops and most people here seem to have seen the same. Something's broken at the moment...

I have a feeling that there is just so much they can download during the over night reboot without taking to much time. They have to spread it out. Imaybe wrong, but it's just a thought.

The Hopper doesn't download the same way as older receivers do, getting updated overnight. The Hopper will update at anytime, 24 hours/day, if there's a free tuner.

Hey guys,

Thought I would give you an update. My EHD showed up 2 days later as some of you predicted. I am still waiting for a fix to some of the apps on my main tv, but all the apps. work on my bedroom tv.

The Hopper is an awesome machine. I like everything about it. I didn't even know about the home media capabilities, I found that by accident, it was a nice bonus.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Tim

Thanks for the update! I'm glad it's working for you now. :D

Thanks for the update! I'm glad it's working for you now. :D

I've been having the same problems. Installation was on Monday, EHD started working on Tuesday. As of today (Wednesday), Facebook, Pandora, Dish Music, TWC, and Blackjack don't work. Texas Hold'em, MLB (and a few others) seem to work. I'm assuming I need to sit and wait a few days, but if anyone has an alternate resolution please let me know.

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts