New Hopper Plus and Joey 4s have major flaw at release

clone1008

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 27, 2014
Florida
Ok, here's what I have learned so far....

1. There is a major flaw with each unit up-converting every video signal to HDR. There isn't a setting anywhere to turn this off or set to auto detect when a true HDR signal is detected. This makes watching regular SD and HD channels look too dark and "processed". I have spent a lot of time with proper equipment/software calibrating my TVs for their respective viewing environments and do not have the ability to use these Picture modes because the only options are the preset HDR Picture modes that came with my TVs.

2. Joey 4 will work on a Hopper 3 without having the Hopper Plus connected. This configuration will allow the Joey 4 to see and play the 4K channels 540-1 and 540-2.

3. Each unit Hopper Plus and Joey 4 have Android TV loaded on them.

4. Each unit is missing the ability in Dish settings > TV to change the Video Resolution and Aspect Ratio.

2022-09-10 23.19.26.jpg

I am sure there are other bugs but I have been focused on the video signal at the moment.

serious flaw imo, HDR should not be used LESS HDR tag are in the feed, auto coverting is no no imo on Satellite/Cable cause most stuff isnt HDR to begin with. and like mention another my tv is calibrated for HDR for content that has that data, Auto coverting most likely will throw setting on tv cause it to be either to bright or to dark.

If I remember correctly, Scott said months ago that HDR was always on with the Hopper+, he revealed that when he went to the release event for the unit.

The Apple TV 4 had the same problem, made 1080P programming look like crap since there was no data in the signal for HDR to be used for the picture.

I do not know if Apple fixed it for the Apple TV 5.

Also, my Nvidia Shield, also Android TV, has the Auto feature for HDR, so it turns on when there is data, stays off when there is not, no reason why the Hopper + cannot do the same.

The Roku Ultra the same for HDR/DOLBY VISION, AUTO, ALWAYS ON, OFF.

serious flaw imo, HDR should not be used LESS HDR tag are in the feed, auto coverting is no no imo on Satellite/Cable cause most stuff isnt HDR to begin with. and like mention another my tv is calibrated for HDR for content that has that data, Auto coverting most likely will throw setting on tv cause it to be either to bright or to dark.
Either the general public has horrible eyes or Dish thinks we're idiots.

The HDR issue would be a deal breaker for me. I didn't pay all this money for a 65" 4K TV just to have the receiver degrade it.
Exactly...and I can already hear them telling people that the fix is to dig into your TV settings if possible and turn off HDR. This is a band aide fix and not the real solution because I/you/anyone shouldn't have to be remembering to turn on/off HDR settings in our TVs.

Ok, here's what I have learned so far....

1. There is a major flaw with each unit up-converting every video signal to HDR. There isn't a setting anywhere to turn this off or set to auto detect when a true HDR signal is detected. This makes watching regular SD and HD channels look too dark and "processed". I have spent a lot of time with proper equipment/software calibrating my TVs for their respective viewing environments and do not have the ability to use these Picture modes because the only options are the preset HDR Picture modes that came with my TVs.

2. Joey 4 will work on a Hopper 3 without having the Hopper Plus connected. This configuration will allow the Joey 4 to see and play the 4K channels 540-1 and 540-2.

3. Each unit Hopper Plus and Joey 4 have Android TV loaded on them.

4. Each unit is missing the ability in Dish settings > TV to change the Video Resolution and Aspect Ratio.

View attachment 158389

I am sure there are other bugs but I have been focused on the video signal at the moment.
Is the system working better with or without the Hopper plus and I assume the wireless Joey 4 works directly with the Hopper 3 as well? Thanks!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Is the system working better with or without the Hopper plus and I assume the wireless Joey 4 works directly with the Hopper 3 as well? Thanks!
My TV with the Hopper 3 is back to working normally. The 2 TVs with the Joey 4s are still having the issues even though they are linked to the Hopper 3 without the Hopper Plus added.

wait do you actual have joey 4 working without hopper plus? cause i just got told it need hopper plus for joey 4 to work which why they wont be installed

Most Android TV boxes nowadays are coming with HDR on all the time. Had it with the Tivo, the Sling TV Mini and so on.

This is something I am told that is going to be fixed. Its one of the things I have been reporting since day one, and its something I have meetings with DISH on both in person and on online meetings.

Most Android TV boxes nowadays are coming with HDR on all the time. Had it with the Tivo, the Sling TV Mini and so on.

This is something I am told that is going to be fixed. Its one of the things I have been reporting since day one, and its something I have meetings with DISH on both in person and on online meetings.
Thanks Scott Greczkowski for all your help working with DISH.

I wouldn't say most are doing it. I have 3 new smart tvs (Android TV software), a Shield TV and the newest Firestick and none of them do it. I don't see the rational behind it. It totally takes away the ability to select other Picture modes that are better when the signal is not a true HDR signal. Anyway thanks Scott for staying on top of this...it's a huge issue.

Last edited:
I wonder if Scott is mixing up 2160 and HDR. I have an Apple TV (2nd generation), a Roku 4800, and a 4K Firestick. They all send out a 2160 signal at all times but do not send HDR unless the program specifically has it. That is provided that Dynamic Range is set to on (ATV), HDR always on set to off (Roku). While I can't see a way to control it I have tested my Firestick and it provides a non HDR signal on a Fox football game and Dolby Vision on a Netflix program that has a DV signal.

I am confused by Dish’s implementation of HDR. When dish made channels 540-01 and 540-02 use HDR customers that had a 4K TV that was not HDR capable were no longer able to watch these channels.
Now Dish has introduced the Hopper+ and the Joey4 which have HDR turned on all the time. Does this mean that Dish customers with a non HDR TV would not be able to receive any 4K programming?

I don’t understand how the HDR signal works with TV sets. Some of the SatelliteGuys customers with a Hopper+ have said that their TV picks up the HDR signal and distorts the colors when the broadcast is not HDR. I wonder if that is similar to what was happening before when Dish was broadcasting a HDR broadcast but channel 540-01 was non HDR. It sounds like Dish is learning how to use HDR.