New Hybrid LNB coming Dec. 10

How would this LNB change that from the current setups? If that is possible with the new LNB, it's possible with the old LNB and the Solo/Duo nodes. Those can be purchased from Solid Signal, Amazon, eBay, etc all day long.
I think that's impossible to know until the new hardware is released. Maybe the new hardware will require the new LNB? I have to think there must be some extra functionality in these other than reduce the number of required cable runs from the Dish from 2 to 1. If not, seems like it wouldn't be worth producing different types of LNBs for economies of scale purpose.

In what significant way does DPH effectively differ from a DPP LNB/Dual Node pairing?

SWiM breaks down bands into much smaller, transponder-sized bites rather than just stacking more bands on top of each other.

You'll see. Until then maybe you should refrain from commenting on things you know nothing about.

Reactions: Troch77
In what significant way does DPH effectively differ from a DPP LNB/Dual Node pairing?

SWiM breaks down bands into much smaller, transponder-sized bites rather than just stacking more bands on top of each other.
The way it differs is simple.
You don't need an external Node.
Another point of failure.

Take a Swm8 LNB, only requires 1 -8 way splitter.
And bam that's 4 HR2* integrated without any external switches.

That LNB will also run a HR44, 3 C41s, HR24,and H25.

You want to see a Picture of what it takes to Run 7 Tuner total( 6 Tuner Hopper system) with a 211z that isn't even integrated with the whole home?

It's BS the way you have to connect Hoppers and Joeys.
No reason to have external Nodes!
1 or 2 Hoppers ?? Com on, what is this 1995?

This is definitely a step in the right direction .
And they should have had a 6 tuner Hopper right from the get go if they won't allow VIP DVR receivers on a Hopper account.

The average house has 3 Tvs now.
And a Single 3 tuner hopper defeated the purpose of being able to watch live tv and record at the same time in the Average household.
Why do you think they came out with that SuperJoey?

Dish the Technology leader, shouldn't require any external Nodes or switches for standard installs Period !!!

And they should have had a solution for current customer to keep their VIP DVRs.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The way it differs is simple.
You don't need an external Node.
In the end, it appears that DPH is an economy as opposed to a functional difference. Economies are substantially for the provider's benefit and don't typically enhance the long-term customer experience. Have you heard lots of reports of failing nodes?
It's BS the way you have to connect Hoppers and Joeys.
No reason to have external Nodes!
1 or 2 Hoppers ?? Com on, what is this 1995?
I'm not the one arguing that DPH moves closer to SWiM. To me, DPH simply integrates two items into one in an inseparable way. Your discourse suggests DPH doesn't move any closer to something like SWM (again, looking at it from the customer's perspective)?

Aside from the integration of the PI in the H44, the big annoyance with AT&T's gear is all of the silly adapters, converters and power supplies that seem to be required. You can't argue that power supplies, streamers and network adapters should be separate and then turn around and argue that all switchgear must logically be integrated unless you have documented evidence that power supplies or nodes are failing in significant quantities.

What remains to be seen is how well putting so much of the electronics out in the LNB assembly impacts reliability and ease of troubleshooting or how it impacts the installers and what manner of meters they have to step up to in an effort to maintain compatibility.

The simpler the install for the installers the quicker the installers can do it, allowing them to get more installs done in a days time, fewer parts and an excuse to cut the pay again to the installers.

The simpler the install for the installers the quicker the installers can do it, allowing them to get more installs done in a days time, fewer parts and an excuse to cut the pay again to the installers.
While install costs are a big part of the bargain, it doesn't seem like you gain much by moving part of one in-line device to the LNB assembly. The number of cables coming down from the LNB is the same so unless DPH is otherwise a big step up it is mostly a shuffling of the component deck. Where they used to mount a node, now they will mount a hub. Where's the savings?

Reactions: TheKrell
The number of cables coming down from the LNB is the same so unless DPH is otherwise a big step up it is mostly a shuffling of the component deck.
For a standard install, cutting the number of coax cables in half is a big deal.

For a standard install, cutting the number of coax cables in half is a big deal.
DPH won't reduce the time involved in running cables. Two cables versus one from the same source to the same destination is not a big win. I acknowledge that the number of terminations might be reduced by two connectors in the event of a single Hopper setup but is that a "standard install"?

Going back and adding a cable after the fact if the subscriber adds tuners is a pain relative to running two in the first place. It seems to me that duplex cable and a couple of connectors might add another $6-7 tops to the cost. Not a very high toll for future proofing.

I think this is a big deal because it should cut down on the number of failures due to multiple connections. It will help technicians too, I don't care if you think it's not a huge improvement or not, it will be appreciated. Cutting down on failures due to wiring is going to be a huge deal.

Reactions: Troch77
I think this is a big deal because it should cut down on the number of failures due to multiple connections. It will help technicians too, I don't care if you think it's not a huge improvement or not, it will be appreciated. Cutting down on failures due to wiring is going to be a huge deal.
And in that sense, wen it cuts down on failures, it benefits customers, thus not being solely a benefit to the company, as Harshness was stating.

Well, I think this is a start to some better connectivity .
Harsh doesn't think so , Because he doesn't think Directv Swm is any Good.
And this to him feels like Directv Swm.

And the Swm Technology is bullet proof, and Easy to trouble shoot, and cheap.
I paid $45 for a Dpp44 which was Cheap!
I've seen them average $60, But only serves 4 receivers and still Requires a node for the hoppers.

The Swm 16, cost me $45 as well, But requires nothing but two $6 - 8 way splitters.
And will do double the Tuners and Receivers.

So I feel Directv is by far Better at whole home connectivity.

Even one hopper and Joey requires a Node, and why?
This is long over due IMO.
DPP no offense is 2005 technology.
Not 2016.
Even this New LNB is 5 years late to the party.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Here Solid signal has them in stock, and here is the Comparison.
5810c41ac9d76d36e784e64e1e5f2f17.jpg

7f90b380ccbbc2a2f10b1abc3359ea52.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
Cutting down on failures due to wiring is going to be a huge deal.
Given that you've replaced the node with a hybrid node and moved the stacking to the LNB, this doesn't seem to be a very strong argument.

What is the labor cost of replacing the LNB versus replacing a node?

What is the labor cost of running a second wire if a Hopper is added versus replacing a Solo Node with a Duo Node?

The installers I know are much better with troubleshooting cables and connections than they are with diagnosing complex electronic components.

EDIT: changed hub references to hybrid node as suggested by Solid Signal diagrams.

Last edited:
Here's what one looks like this is for the eastern arc.
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1449946380.286753.jpg
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1449946407.905535.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1449946434.408000.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1449946477.979107.jpg

And installed on the Dish 1000.2

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1449946517.601915.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1449946537.486077.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1449946560.541610.jpg

And here is the hub. (Hooked up to 2 hoppers and 4 Joeys.)

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1449946605.313056.jpg

I see they only require 2 Wires, what's the 3rd connection for on the LNB, a wing dish, or Can you run a VIP off it?

Well, I think this is a start to some better connectivity .
Harsh doesn't think so , Because he doesn't think Directv Swm is any Good.
And this to him feels like Directv Swm.
You are wrong.

What I said was that DPH isn't a whole lot closer to SWiM than DPP. DPH would appear to be a move of the DPP Node stacking functionality to the LNB.

If you had to deal with the limited cabling of a RV, you will think this is a wonderful implementation.

And maybe this is a move by Dish to transition to something like SWiM without obsoleting existing equipment or requiring a number of adapters like DirecTV.