New Hybrid LNB coming Dec. 10

imageuploadedbysatelliteguys1449946407-905535-jpg.112015

The better to see you with.

I contacted Winegard and they assume that it wouldn't work because they tap the signal stream for the controller to identify the satellites. They had not tried it.

But I think I am going to try it on my tripod dish and while I am at it, I might as well stick it on the Trav'ler and test it.

I contacted Winegard and they assume that it wouldn't work because they tap the signal stream for the controller to identify the satellites. They had not tried it.

But I think I am going to try it on my tripod dish and while I am at it, I might as well stick it on the Trav'ler and test it.

Ditto. I'm also going to try a wing dish with it.

Given that you've replaced the node with a hybrid node and moved the stacking to the LNB, this doesn't seem to be a very strong argument.

What is the labor cost of replacing the LNB versus replacing a node?

What is the labor cost of running a second wire if a Hopper is added versus replacing a Solo Node with a Duo Node?

The installers I know are much better with troubleshooting cables and connections than they are with diagnosing complex electronic components.

EDIT: changed hub references to hybrid node as suggested by Solid Signal diagrams.

I'd much rather replace an LNB than replace cable. I also don't want to spend hours checking every fitting in the system. The fewer the fittings the better off you are. Fewer components is a good thing.

I'd much rather replace an LNB than replace cable. I also don't want to spend hours checking every fitting in the system. The fewer the fittings the better off you are. Fewer components is a good thing.
How many fewer components and connections are there really? The H/SJ seems to get a break but other configurations would appear to have a similar parts and connections count.

Were the nodes a major point of failure?

The problem with the "what's the point" posts is that everyone seems to be trying to justify why they should buy this and replace an existing DPP LNB and a Solo or Duo hub.

The plain fact is that they shouldn't. The point of Dish developing and releasing this is not for existing customers. It's for new installs of Hopper systems, and possibly expansions (IE: adding a super joey or a 2nd hopper). Miniaturization and integration saves money, and this system is cheaper than the previous one. The new DPH LNB is $50 + solo hub is $7, and an old style WA LNB is $40 + $30 for a Solo Hub. Plus it does save some money on coax.

Finally, integrating as many of the active components as possible means fewer points of failure, and an easier system to troubleshoot. Now, when a tech goes out to a home with a broken system, instead of trying to find what's broken, he can just replace the LNB and be done with it. Doesn't matter if nodes failed more than LNBs, this makes the entire repair appointment easier since it doesn't matter. Just replace the LNB and be done with it.

Plus, I forgot to mention that this supposedly has "additional functionality" for "future receivers", meaning, there's more to meets the eye, and likely some stuff that a DPP+Solo/Duo node can't necessarily do for the new stuff about to come down the pike. But, again, those are reasons for *new* installs, not reasons for replacing existing, working setups.

How many fewer components and connections are there really? The H/SJ seems to get a break but other configurations would appear to have a similar parts and connections count.

Were the nodes a major point of failure?

I wouldn't say that the Nodes were a major point of failure but they were still one component that could be the cause of the problem. You should look back at the wiring diagrams for the current system and see how many connections there are.

With one Hopper and 3 Joeys there would be two cables coming from the dish to the Node. On cable would go to the Hopper which is fine but the other cable would go to a three way splitter.

In my install I have two Hoppers so I needed three cables from the dish. I only had two original cables from the existing dish and was not interested in running a third so I had to put the Node outside. So I have three cables from the dish to the Node outside, then to cables from the Node into the house, those cables connect to Taps, then each Tap has a cable that goes to a Hopper and a Joey. That's a lot of connections, not to mention the ground block too.

Bingo Joseph.... some people are trying to make it sound like DISH is forcing people to change to new LNB's which is not the case at all.

Exactly. I think people are thinking that they need to swap out their existing equipment. This is not the case. If your system works then leave it be. If you are having issues then this may be a way to clean things up and fix the problem.

Reactions: Foxbat
I don't think anyone is afraid they're going to have to upgrade. The one rational fear expressed was that the DPP LNBs would be harder to get.

What is the most time consuming component to replace (note that this can include cabling if it is often the problem)?

I don't think anyone is afraid they're going to have to upgrade. The one rational fear expressed was that the DPP LNBs would be harder to get.

What is the most time consuming component to replace (note that this can include cabling if it is often the problem)?

Since there are still plenty of new install scenarios that would require a DPP LNB, and from all indications they will still be manufactured, there's no reason to really worry about that.

I mean, DirecTV still makes legacy LNBs and switches. Same will apply to Dish.

I mean, DirecTV still makes legacy LNBs and switches.
Are you sure about that?

No, I'm not pointing out that DIRECTV doesn't make hardware but rather suggesting that they probably aren't placing orders for new legacy (or legacy legacy) hardware.

I like seeing old switchgear go away as much as anyone... as long as there's something new to replace it.

Switches, maybe not, but LNBs absolutely. Plenty of current DirecTV install scenarios still require a legacy LNB feeding into separate SWM switches. They're just now coming around to 22-tuner SWM, but imagine hotels and apartment complexes with hundreds of rooms.

They're just now coming around to 22-tuner SWM, but imagine hotels and apartment complexes with hundreds of rooms.
That's what their D2 Advantage technology is for. Legacy switchgear went out of that domain with MFH2 and MFH3 that preceded it.

DISH offers their Smartbox QAM configuration for MDUs

That the point of these systems is to reduce the dish count to a maximum of one per building, they aren't going to require a large number of dishes and the associated LNBs.

That's what their D2 Advantage technology is for. Legacy switchgear went out of that domain with MFH2 and MFH3 that preceded it.

DISH offers their Smartbox QAM configuration for MDUs

That the point of these systems is to reduce the dish count to a maximum of one per building, they aren't going to require a large number of dishes and the associated LNBs.

But they will still be manufactured, even if in smaller quantities and at a higher price. That's my whole point.

This sounds like a major improvement for us RV'ers with a Hopper/Joey - fewer outside connections. For me, a 4-way hub vs a tap inside the RV is a wash. Since it appears the cable from the LNB will now be carrying 3 signals, will this affect the use of signal finders such as my Birddog?

This sounds like a major improvement for us RV'ers with a Hopper/Joey - fewer outside connections. For me, a 4-way hub vs a tap inside the RV is a wash. Since it appears the cable from the LNB will now be carrying 3 signals, will this affect the use of signal finders such as my Birddog?

Probably. There's a chance it can "talk" like a DPP, but from all outward appearances it looks like the output from this new LNB will essentially be the same as the output from a Duo or Solo node.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts